New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

I never criticize high school athletes.  I try not to criticize college athletes, but I am not always successful since I am human and vocal.  As for pro athletes, all is fair game.  The same  is true with coaches at all levels.  

With that said, Rodriguez has shown to be one of the worst coaches I have ever seen.  The decisions that were made (will not comment on personnel decisions since it may criticize college athletes) were awful.  I know he was hired by Arth.  A good manager always hires employees that are smarter than him/her so that they can be successful.  In reality, most managers hire employees that are not as smart, so that they can control them.  This looks to be the case with Rodriguez.  I truly hope that the next coach does not keep Rodriguez on his staff.  We will be doomed.  

G'day. Unfortunately due to lock down in Australia I was not able to make a game this year. I corresponded often with my cousin Zippy however, through government monitored emails. She expressed optimism over the Arth regime so I was a bit surprised the program moved on from him with 2 years left on his deal. The offense clearly was better...the defense...crikey. Zippy is upset and may be leaving the program. She said she has been courted by UMKC and has an interview this week. Akron contacted me in case I'd like to replace her. I told them they can't afford me. Besides, I'm being relocated to a covid "fun/re-education camp" later this week for protesting vaccine mandates.

Warm Regards,

Skippy

Edited by ZippysDrunkCousinSkippy

I'm not gonna get on Rodriguez too much. He, like most of the staff, was completely in over his head. Take an assistant that's in over his head and promote him to head coach, and that's what you get.

Coach Rod is a tremendous person and a great story. I have no doubt he will be a great college football coach some day. 

Like most guys on this staff, including Arth, they benefitted from a very poorly done coaching search, and for Rod in particular, he jumped onto Arth's staff from D3 right before the 2018 season and then we know what happened from there.

When you consider the timeline of how things have gone down with this program since the win over Ohio in 2017, it's like Murphy's law outside of the wins over Kent x2 and Northwestern. The program has been in the tank ever since they got blown out by Miami on homecoming in 2018. It's really quite remarkable.

At the end of the day, when I think Akron football 2019-2021, I think "overmatched." 

Overmatched in every way. Got manhandled nearly every single game with a couple close losses and a couple of wins. I'm still baffled that Dustin Fox had the cajones to say Arth was about to turn the corner and that it was a terrible move to get rid of him. Nowhere else in America would Arth have survived too long past the 2019 year. 

I'm so tired of coach talk and speculation. This news release cannot come soon enough.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I'm not gonna get on Rodriguez too much. He, like most of the staff, was completely in over his head. Take an assistant that's in over his head and promote him to head coach, and that's what you get.

Coach Rod is a tremendous person and a great story. I have no doubt he will be a great college football coach some day. 

Like most guys on this staff, including Arth, they benefitted from a very poorly done coaching search, and for Rod in particular, he jumped onto Arth's staff from D3 right before the 2018 season and then we know what happened from there.

When you consider the timeline of how things have gone down with this program since the win over Ohio in 2017, it's like Murphy's law outside of the wins over Kent x2 and Northwestern. The program has been in the tank ever since they got blown out by Miami on homecoming in 2018. It's really quite remarkable.

At the end of the day, when I think Akron football 2019-2021, I think "overmatched." 

Overmatched in every way. Got manhandled nearly every single game with a couple close losses and a couple of wins. I'm still baffled that Dustin Fox had the cajones to say Arth was about to turn the corner and that it was a terrible move to get rid of him. Nowhere else in America would Arth have survived too long past the 2019 year. 

I'm so tired of coach talk and speculation. This news release cannot come soon enough.

I'm with you Loyal.  I turned on a minute of the game today, and I think I saw Akron at first and goal as time ran out i the first half?  

2nd & 10 at TOL 39

(0:34 - 2nd) Kato Nelson pass complete to Jr. Oran Singleton for 9 yds to the Toled 30

3rd & 1 at TOL 30

(0:04 - 2nd) Kato Nelson pass complete to Jr. Oran Singleton for 23 yds to the Toled 7 for a 1ST down

(0:04 - 2nd) Timeout AKRON, clock 00:04

1st & Goal at TOL 7

(0:00 - 2nd) Kato Nelson sacked by Jamal Hines for 0 yards to the Toled 10

They call time out and Kato is sacked.  Kick a field goal.  This is soooo ICoach.   Except for 2 or 3 games in the Arth and ICoach era, Akron could not convert in the red zone.  If Akron made a great pass or run, we had to hope they would get a TD because if they stopped them anywhere short of the goal line Akron wasn't going to put up anything more than a field goal.  Loathe is a strong word but that is how I feel about Larry Williams, Arth, that "Interim President" who didn't give a crap about athletics.

When I was listening to the post game interview with Joe Dunn and ORod started to cry, I felt for him.  He has been through a lot and I think it all hit him at once.  I wouldn't mind seeing him stay on as an assistant. but I am pretty darn sure that ship has sailed.  I wish him luck in the future. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Lost by 17 and then by 47 in the Boca Raton Bowl.   Lucked in with win over Ohio.  Wasn't that like Kato's best game?

Then won first 2 games of the next season, including then ranked Northwestern, and finished by losing  8 of the last 10 including the last 5.

I'll still take that over 0-12, 1-5, 3-9. I'll take "lucked in with win over Ohio" every day of the week.

16 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

I'll still take that over 0-12, 1-5, 3-9. I'll take "lucked in with win over Ohio" every day of the week.

U missed the point, of course.    But let me reiterate for you...a MAC east championship that led to a blow out in the MAC Championship,  a humiliating loss to Lane Kiffin in the Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl and then a total collapse the following year.  How about we stop making excuses and only expect excellence.  A MAC east championship ISN'T a MAC Championship.  And with Akron that year, it was comparable to an 8th seed making it to the finals of the MAC basketball tournament only to lose by 30 to the #1 seed followed by a 25 point loss in the first round of the CBI.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LZIp said:

I concur. However, I bet Michigan would have fired Harbaugh by this point if they wouldn't have owed him so much $$. They did make him take a pay cut IIRC. Same goes for Nebraska and Frost.  Sometimes being hamstringed by your own dumb decisions can pay off. More patience is needed in CFB.

Screw Nebraska football. I hope they never win another game until the pay us per the details of the original contract.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, 94zipgrad said:

Ms. Mishler-Elmore writes an interesting article. I was surprised to learn that Getsy played QB for the Zips while he was in college. I had always thought he played for the Zips before he was in college. Also impressed by the quote about Getsy made by the fired coach Arth. Keep up the fine work Beth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched Zips Weekly (they quit putting coaches names on the show) and Rod came off as a genuine guy, would love to have a coffee or other beverage with him. But was not ready for the job. Very soft spoken too, maybe he's not use to being on TV and the mic and all, but he needs a bit more bite when talking to players. Maybe he has that when addressing them. 

I wish nothing but the best to him, wherever he coaches.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but if the choice is Getsy, does Akron have to wait for the Packers season to end to a) announce him, and b) to have him start?  If so, won’t that put Akron where they were with Arth, hamstringing him on recruiting and building?