New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

Good luck to Zach. That BG game was a lot of fun this year, and he was almost a hero against Ball State and WMU. Hate to see him go as a player, but he was a big time Arth guy and was going to go wherever Arth went. Perhaps he will wind up back at Akron after a coach is named. But I'm at peace seeing him go, I can't disagree with his decision in any way.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zipsoutsider said:

Moorehead might be able to recruit Gibson back if they get him on board right away. Bowden recruited a lot of kids from the portal back to ULM when he came on board.

I’m guessing that they hired Moorhead just now if Gibson is entering the transfer portal. Players must have been informed.Why do it that fast and given the rumors are picking up fast since Sunday. Wish Gibson the best. I agree we will be picking up another qb and multiple positions via transfer portal. Hopefully get a jump on recruiting soon and put the staff together quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zipsoutsider said:

Moorehead might be able to recruit Gibson back if they get him on board right away. Bowden recruited a lot of kids from the portal back to ULM when he came on board.

Was thinking the same thing. I agree with 94 - Gibson seems to have the makings of a pretty good MAC QB. I haven't followed Moorhead enough to know what he likes and dislikes in a QB.

Zach - Hang out for a minute with the rest of us and let's see where this goes. Seems to me you're the type who might grab a UA flag and plant it in the middle of a buckeye.

2 minutes ago, akrzips2012 said:

I’m guessing that they hired Moorhead just now if Gibson is entering the transfer portal. Players must have been informed.

I highly doubt this.  No way you could tell 100 college kids who their new coach is and not have anyone "leak" it, especially kids like Gibson that have entered the portal. 

Then again, a friend pointed out that Oregon does have 4 freshman QBs on their roster, so...maybe....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akrzips2012 said:

I’m guessing that they hired Moorhead just now if Gibson is entering the transfer portal. Players must have been informed.Why do it that fast and given the rumors are picking up fast since Sunday. Wish Gibson the best. I agree we will be picking up another qb and multiple positions via transfer portal. Hopefully get a jump on recruiting soon and put the staff together quickly. 

Are we seeing any other Transfer Portal appearances? Might help put the puzzle pieces together. 

I could see Konata Mumpfield staying, assuming we hire Moorhead. I was worried about him leaving for a bigger program, but Moorhead's offense would be fun to play in, I'd imagine. A guy like him could put his name on the NFL's map with a solid QB/play-calling.

9 minutes ago, akrzips2012 said:

I don’t believe Akron submits to the transfer portal and you get immediate response.  I wondered when he didn’t start this weekend if he asked to hit the portal last week and didn’t want to risk injury knowing he was leaving

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

No, but there's a private charter from Portland to Akron Fulton under the name Ron Mexico.

Watch for the tail-dragger to circle the remnants of the Rubber Bowl before landing. Dead giveaway. Probably won't be squawking on FlightAware either.

And this is what we call Circular reporting.

And how our so-called independent media works now.

1.  Take a rumor tweeted out by 1 person. 

2.  Keep citing it over and over on different sites

3.  Now add the work "Sources Say" to the citation.

Boom -- full on press..

used to be you needed at least 2 sources to corroborate the facts to run a story-- not anymore... a guy in his basement with a smart phone and twitter account can affect us all.

My favorite is when the sites start citing each other as the source..  that is priceless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

And this is what we call Circular reporting.

And how our so-called independent media works now.

1.  Take a rumor tweeted out by 1 person. 

2.  Keep citing it over and over on different sites

3.  Now add the work "Sources Say" to the citation.

Boom -- full on press..

used to be you needed at least 2 sources to corroborate the facts to run a story-- not anymore... a guy in his basement with a smart phone and twitter account can affect us all.

My favorite is when the sites start citing each other as the source..  that is priceless.

In general  this is how someone's reputation easily gets destroyed in online media.   Sports punditry is like political punditry.  Although, I think sports pundits are likely more reliable. 

48 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Brookhart had to sell Frye on staying after Owens' firing, although transferring back then was a lot more daunting than it is today. I'll hold out hope that Gibson is open to at least listening to the new coach's sales pitch. If it is Moorhead, and he promises to bring in some Jr and Sr P5 OL transfers, ZG5 should strongly consider staying.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Brookhart had to sell Frye on staying after Owens' firing, although transferring back then was a lot more daunting than it is today. I'll hold out hope that Gibson is open to at least listening to the new coach's sales pitch. If it is Moorhead, and he promises to bring in some Jr and Sr P5 OL transfers, ZG5 should strongly consider staying.

If I remember correctly - presumably part of JD's pitch - Larry Fitzgerald told Frye he should stay at Akron because he'll enjoy playing for Brookhart. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1