New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

The Athletic has updated its candidates for the VaTech job, removing Oregon Offensive Coordinator Joe Moorhead.

The article was posted 5 hours ago, although I am not a subscriber and do not have an edited time stamp to reflect the removal of Moorhead's name. The other names removed have either been hired (Billy Napier/Florida) or signed contract extensions (Dave Clawson/Wake Forest, Hugh Freeze/Liberty).

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, Footballscoop dot com posted this link breaking the news of Arth joining UA on 12/14, and the University announced it later that day.

They posted this link earlier this morning, playing off the other rumors and adding a sentence that the deal could be done today.

The excitement is certainly at a higher level...let's hope it's not all smoke and mirrors to drum up interest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I don’t believe Akron submits to the transfer portal and you get immediate response.  I wondered when he didn’t start this weekend if he asked to hit the portal last week and didn’t want to risk injury knowing he was leaving

Exactly. He wasn’t happy here all year. Believe he was leaving even if Arth wasn’t fired. He didn’t play Saturday because he wanted to preserve his health and his stats from his 2.50 good games this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

FWIW, Footballscoop dot com posted this link breaking the news of Arth joining UA on 12/14, and the University announced it later that day.

They posted this link earlier this morning, playing off the other rumors and adding a sentence that the deal could be done today.

The excitement is certainly at a higher level...let's hope it's not all smoke and mirrors to drum up interest.

image.thumb.png.70e6d2d79751e54d2250be88efbc37a5.pngimage.thumb.png.70e6d2d79751e54d2250be88efbc37a5.png

Morehead.....  I hope it's true. I thought he would be out of our league in terms of interest and price. Akron badly needs competency at the helm. His resume smells of more competency than any other coach in the division or even the conference. 

Some guys reach their level. Joe is a G5 head coach or a high level coordinator. If you want to lead, you become a head coach. If you want to follow, you stay a coordinator. Joe is a good leader. He did well at Fordham and MSU. He knows how to lead a team. He also developed a good list of QBs.  For those who root for defense, his 2018 Bulldogs lead the nation in total defense. He was on a MAC Championship team at Akron so he knows what it takes. 

If this is true, and God I hope it is, there will be brighter days ahead. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Morehead.....  I hope it's true. I thought he would be out of our league in terms of interest and price. Akron badly needs competency at the helm. His resume smells of more competency than any other coach in the division or even the conference. 

Some guys reach their level. Joe is a G5 head coach or a high level coordinator. If you want to lead, you become a head coach. If you want to follow, you stay a coordinator. Joe is a good leader. He did well at Fordham and MSU. He knows how to lead a team. He also developed a good list of QBs.  For those who root for defense, his 2018 Bulldogs lead the nation in total defense. He was on a MAC Championship team at Akron so he knows what it takes. 

If this is true, and God I hope it is, there will be brighter days ahead. 

That's because he should be. The typical path of a middling P5 OC is the MAC, not a top 10-15 P5 OC, especially one with previous P5 HC experience (and solid experience, to boot). 

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Brian Kelly to LSU. 

Notre Dame has entered the chat. 

Luke Fickel should jump on ND. Then ND should enter the ACC full time. He would make them the league champion within the first two years. 

2 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

This worries me now.    Moorhead with his offense scheme and the allure of ND.    ND used to recruit well in western PA. 

I've seen Fickell as the top dog for that job, but I agree, Moorhead makes sense for that job if he has any interest in Notre Dame. 

4 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I've seen Fickell as the top dog for that job, but I agree, Moorhead makes sense for that job if he has any interest in Notre Dame. 

ND would never hire what amounts to a coordinator with his lack of name recognition. Weis had a big name coming from New England and Bob Davie had the support of Holtz. Ignoring Faust, you'd have to go really far back to find an unaccomplished name leading ND. 

4 minutes ago, GP1 said:

ND would never hire what amounts to a coordinator with his lack of name recognition. Weis had a big name coming from New England and Bob Davie had the support of Holtz. Ignoring Faust, you'd have to go really far back to find an unaccomplished name leading ND. 

Moorhead won 2 bowl games with a college team more known for baseball.   
he tore up OSU this year.  He’s had success at UO, PSU, MSU.  
I think Kelly is gonna get his ass handed to him at LSU.  

ND should be much better than they were with Kelly.   Moorhead’s offense I think would attract top talent if he has some initial success.   

11 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Good.  Then I hope Notre Dame leaves Matt Campbell alone too.