New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Brian Kelly to LSU. 

Notre Dame has entered the chat. 

This college football hiring season is going nuts with all these power 5 openings. One door opens and next door is closed then a new door opens. The cycle continues. I think Akron will end up with Moorhead soon. Fickel will end up at ND. They will only sign a flashy head coach making waves like Fickel. Has anyone heard from OSU OC Kevin Wilson on any other openings? Wondering what was up with his name being floated before Moorhead news.

9 minutes ago, akrzips2012 said:

This college football hiring season is going nuts with all these power 5 openings. One door opens and next door is closed then a new door opens. The cycle continues. I think Akron will end up with Moorhead soon. Fickel will end up at ND. They will only sign a flashy head coach making waves like Fickel. Has anyone heard from OSU OC Kevin Wilson on any other openings? Wondering what was up with his name being floated before Moorhead news.

Moorhead had trouble with the Mississippi football culture (according to wiki).. ND may not be the deep South but it's in its own football universe. Akron would be low on pressure.  

Edited by NWAkron

15 minutes ago, akrzips2012 said:

Heard a rumor but clearly speculation.  Ryan Day to bears;  fickel returns to OSU.   

How much is Akron going to pay for a new football coach?

Arth salary was around $500,000

Joe Moorhead salary this year as Oregon offensive coordinator was $1,150,000.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/04/details-released-for-new-contracts-for-oregon-ducks-offensive-coordinator-joe-moorhead-receivers-coach-bryan-mcclendon-cornerbacks-coach-rod-chance.html

4 hours ago, akrzips2012 said:

Wonder if this deal will get done by the end of the week for Moorhead so he can finish his last game at Oregon’s OC on Friday for conference championship game. I read that in one of the articles that it could take a couple of days for the deal to finalized. 

This is what I'm hearing. I have some UA connections still, but this search has been so silent that info is very hard to come by, even for folks high on the totem pole. Almost deafening. Thank you to everyone in this thread for doing your best to find info. I do worry a bit that with the coaching carousel being so nuts, the chances of getting this done fade by the day. I hope I'm wrong on that, though.

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The Athletic has updated its candidates for the VaTech job, removing Oregon Offensive Coordinator Joe Moorhead.

The article was posted 5 hours ago, although I am not a subscriber and do not have an edited time stamp to reflect the removal of Moorhead's name. The other names removed have either been hired (Billy Napier/Florida) or signed contract extensions (Dave Clawson/Wake Forest, Hugh Freeze/Liberty).

Now this right here^^^ is great investigative journalism my friend, @Let'sGoZips94! Nice catch. This gives me hope too.

But I'm tired of hope. I want ink to meet paper. 

23 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

This is what I'm hearing. I have some UA connections still, but this search has been so silent that info is very hard to come by, even for folks high on the totem pole. Almost deafening. Thank you to everyone in this thread for doing your best to find info. I do worry a bit that with the coaching carousel being so nuts, the chances of getting this done fade by the day. I hope I'm wrong on that, though.

Now this right here^^^ is great investigative journalism my friend, @Let'sGoZips94! Nice catch. This gives me hope too.

If you search Joe Moorhead on Twitter, there are a number of tweets about him and Akron.  Often the comments give you better information about Moorhead and what he will do.  Some tweets are ignorant.  One guy wrote...why would Moorhead go to Akron instead of Louisiana Lafayette or Louisiana Tech?  Uh...maybe because he was run out of Mississippi after he referred to himself as a "Yankee" during a press conference.

6 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

If you search Joe Moorhead on Twitter, there are a number of tweets about him and Akron.  Often the comments give you better information about Moorhead and what he will do.  Some tweets are ignorant.  One guy wrote...why would Moorhead go to Akron instead of Louisiana Lafayette or Louisiana Tech?  Uh...maybe because he was run out of Mississippi after he referred to himself as a "Yankee" during a press conference.

The search function on the Twitter machine has been my best friend for about 24 hours now trying to dig for info. I’m growing tired of seeing all of the “he’s too qualified for Akron!” Well, yeah. But people seem to forget that:

1. Coaches are people. Will you always go to the money or do you also value feel and where you feel comfortable?

2. Akron is not a bad job (at all, IMO) because all the coaches have failed, it looks that way because they’ve had dysfunctional coaching and admin

No bleep Akron is probably the least “enticing” of Moorhead’s options. But these know-it-alls fail to recognize that Akron jump started an amazing career for this guy. Maybe he wants to bring it full circle? Akron fans sure hope so. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I'm out of reactions for the day, so here is my "like". Interesting that what you're hearing revolves around the Pac12 Title Game. Is Moorhead hoping to keep confirmation hush hush as to not be a distraction in the media prior to the game? Otherwise, the media rumor mill is already flyin', and he ain't denyin', so let's make this official so you can coach your ass off on Friday night and Zips fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Haha. 

What are you hearing about the backup plan, if any? Is there legitimacy to Kevin Wilson or Ferentz? To generalize it maybe a bit more, is it strong P5 Coordinator or bust with this search? 

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

The search function on the Twitter machine has been my best friend for about 24 hours now trying to dig for info. I’m growing tired of seeing all of the “he’s too qualified for Akron!” Well, yeah. But people seem to forget that:

1. Coaches are people. Will you always go to the money or do you also value feel and where you feel comfortable?

2. Akron is not a bad job (at all, IMO) because all the coaches have failed, it looks that way because they’ve had dysfunctional coaching and admin

No bleep Akron is probably the least “enticing” of Moorhead’s options. But these know-it-alls fail to recognize that Akron jump started an amazing career for this guy. Maybe he wants to bring it full circle? Akron fans sure hope so. 

I've been following the Twitter search as well, despite not having a Twitter account. Thanks Jack for all of the free information. To echo my above statement and previous members' posts, we're nearly 24 hours into the rumors of Moorhead to Akron. There isn't a single person outright denying it, nor is there a single legitimate connection of Moorhead to any other vacant position. That is extremely promising to me. 

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

There are ONLY tweets about him to Akron - legitimate ones at least. There are zero "sources" that talk about him going anywhere else - only wishful fans of other programs not understanding how they might lose out on one of the top offensive minds in the game to AKRON. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Nothing good (see Maishe Dailey) has come out of Iowa since The Music Man.

"Heaven" would like to have a word with you. Ironically enough, both teams in the 2021 Field of Dreams game scored more points each (9-8 was the final score) than Iowa's football team in two games in 2021; the combined score was as much or more than Iowa's point total in 12 games since Ferentz took over as OC. 

image.thumb.png.6fd20ddccae9f2aa8d49bd017839b22e.png

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What are you hearing about the backup plan, if any? Is there legitimacy to Kevin Wilson or Ferentz? To generalize it maybe a bit more, is it strong P5 Coordinator or bust with this search? 

Not a peep on Wilson or any other plan. I heard through the grapevine that Eddie George was reaching out to Akron, not the other way around. And before Arth was even fired, I along with many folks at UA were expecting a name like Tony Alford to get more traction. While I like the idea of Alford, it’s clear that Guthrie is punching a good deal above that weight class. 

Guthrie demands excellence out of all programs. He is so different from Larry Williams. It’s taken a lot of folks by shock and even rubbed some the wrong way, but once you’re used to a decade plus of Wistercill and Williams, it’s not necessarily a bad thing to have someone come in and ruffle some feathers. It’s clear he is not playing around with this search, no matter who ends up getting the job. 

The names we’re hearing speak volumes to the ineptitude of the previous hiring committee. Their top 3 were Arth, the Navy OC, and Texas RB coach, with the committee swooning over 9-13 UTC Arth. A member of that committee told me that it was a slam dunk no brainer after the final round of interviews. The biggest thing that won them over for Arth was his commitment to turn around the culture of poor academic and character standards. The fear they had with the Navy OC Jasper was that it would be far too drastic a change in culture that would set the program too far back. Yeah, I should’ve known right there this was going to be a mess. 

This search, however, is unrecognizable by Akron standards. 

• Like 3