New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

Brett McMurphy is reporting that VaTech has been filled by Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry. You may recognize the Pry name, as his father Jim was Akron's QB coach and OC during the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

Another one off the list.

Interesting. He was with Moorhead during Joe's time at PSU, and Pry's father was with Moorhead at Akron. 

Joe was my #1 choice but thought he had got to far up the food chain for it to happen. Reading all this the last 2 days has really got me excited. The list of candidates a lone is at a higher level than we have seen. I wonder if our 2 week night national TV games played into this. We showed there is potential here and we got a lot of love from the national media during those games. 

That si article showed why Joe would come here. He was loyal to his alma mater and stayed there longer than expected till the right job came a long. A job that was close to his family. Our opening does both of those things. He can come back to where he got his start. In a program he knows. In a place that is close to home. 

• Like 1

OK, so if Moorhead is the guy I have a couple of questions.

Is there any chance he reaches out to Getsy or Frye to gauge interest in being OC/ associate head coach, which is a position many programs have now?

With Gibson entering the transfer portal I took a look at the Oregon Ducks depth chart at QB and found that their starter is a grad transfer but their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th QBs are all freshmen. Given that they are all the same class and cannot all get a ton of playing time does Moorhead bring one of them with him?

3 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

Joe was my #1 choice but thought he had got to far up the food chain for it to happen. Reading all this the last 2 days has really got me excited. The list of candidates a lone is at a higher level than we have seen. I wonder if our 2 week night national TV games played into this. We showed there is potential here and we got a lot of love from the national media during those games. 

That si article showed why Joe would come here. He was loyal to his alma mater and stayed there longer than expected till the right job came a long. A job that was close to his family. Our opening does both of those things. He can come back to where he got his start. In a program he knows. In a place that is close to home. 

Great post! -- I agree too, the season was lackluster and quite sad, BUT these reports alone have personally been a great breath of fresh air. I really hope I (we) aren't getting our hopes up, but if so then it is what it is. But I'm so excited about this possibility and what it could mean moving forward for the program, which is a passion of mine and all of us on this board.

14 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Is there any chance he reaches out to Getsy or Frye to gauge interest in being OC/ associate head coach, which is a position many programs have now?

I doubt they'd leave positions with the Packers and Dolphins to be a Zips assistant. Maybe if they were fired and out-of-work, but that's it.

20 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Getting way ahead of ourselves and reaching for the stars all at the same time!  When does Spring practice begin?  :)

9 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I doubt they'd leave positions with the Packers and Dolphins to be a Zips assistant. Maybe if they were fired and out-of-work, but that's it.

I can understand that, just wasn’t sure if being the “head coach in waiting” thing would be an attractive enough draw

• Like 2

OH BOY! The stench of Kent State pee yellow liquid dripping down their leg is getting stronger (then again, that's just the stench of Kent in general)!

image.png.26e58dc8f63f5be635e5e0d8efd90f95.png

P.S. Pry is all but official based on numerous sources. Moorhead being listed in the same breath gives validity. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

10 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Akron can't afford to be in this game.. regardless of any donations to cover his salary, and Arth's buyout.

As much as I dislike Debbie Downer's post, they have a point.  If Moorhead is the guy, this could potentially be the last gamble on FBS for Akron.  If he doesn't manage to turn things around, I honestly can't see The U digging deeper in the pockets for another buyout/new coach in a few years.

I believe Moorhead would have plenty of time to prove himself since this AD would be the one hiring him, lessening the potential of a buyout. I don't agree that we can't afford him, assuming donors are stepping up to the plate. Donors are free to designate their money however they'd wish. If we are increasing general student fees by anything other than an inflation adjustment as a result, then I'd probably agree...not something we should be doing

Another way to look at it is that the right coach can be well worth the additional investment if said coach elevates the program enough to increase attendance/revenue in a way that more than makes up the difference of the additional cost.

Lastly, Guthrie just scheduled a rare 3rd pay day game next year with Tennessee. That extra revenue (probably in the $1.5m + range offhand) alone should allow us to cover extra costs for a few years.

Edited by LZIp

I assume there's a clause in Arth's contract that he loses his UA pay if he accepts a coaching gig elsewhere? 

Bowden took a grad student position and took UA's money. But Arth is young, and marketable as a position coach somewhere. UA will likely be on the hook for little, or none of Arth's salary if he ends up coaching elsewhere. 

At least that is my understanding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I assume there's a clause in Arth's contract that he loses his UA pay if he accepts a coaching gig elsewhere? 

Bowden took a grad student position and took UA's money. But Arth is young, and marketable as a position coach somewhere. UA will likely be on the hook for little, or none of Arth's salary if he ends up coaching elsewhere. 

At least that is my understanding.

Not to mention its already been reported his buyout is being covered by donors.