New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

38 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He speaks...

image.png

Edit: Worth noting that his name hasn't really been attached to any other openings. He has been on speculative and wish lists - that's it. Most vacancy speculation lists have removed him by now, anyways. 

More like bill belicik’s we are onto Cinncy. Coach are you taking the Akron job? We onto Utah. After Utah, I’m going to Akron. 

34 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Like others, I'm not getting my hopes up until there is an official announcement. I'm an Akron/NE Ohio sports fan. Been let down too many times.

I feel the same way. Although it's weird that in November I care more about who Akron will hire, than I do about whatever the Browns are doing. Didn't expect that going into this season. Guess I'd just like to see something positive happen after two of my teams have wasted seasons. 

Edited by akzipper

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm looking for my protective cup as we speak.

I get it but I think your balls are safe.  Enough has leaked out, Guthrie’s subliminal Twitter message.  Moorhead wants to get through PAC 12 ship with no distractions, there is enough time after that someone can step up to OC for the bowl game & he will leave to come to Akron to build staff & get on the recruiting trail to hit the road running.

That’s what I choose to believe

• Like 3

@94zipgrad has it.  Now let's really go out on a limb.  Does the new guy retain anyone on the current staff?  Who do you think could be an asset?  There are some players that we want to keep or perhaps some recruits.  Strength and conditioning needs to start next week.

11 minutes ago, Ham said:

@94zipgrad has it.  Now let's really go out on a limb.  Does the new guy retain anyone on the current staff?  Who do you think could be an asset?  There are some players that we want to keep or perhaps some recruits.  Strength and conditioning needs to start next week.

Maybe Oscar Rodriguez.  Players...I have no idea. 

14 minutes ago, Ham said:

Does the new guy retain anyone on the current staff?  Who do you think could be an asset?  There are some players that we want to keep or perhaps some recruits.

My guess regarding coaches - Maybe a Grad Assistant. That's about it. 

Incumbent Players? Whomever wants to stay, and buys into his program.

2022 Recruits - I'll guess a handful. Probably < 5 of those who remain committed would be offered by the new coach

My guesses based on past "new regime" history... 

• Like 2

We do this song and dance every time - it's very rare for them to keep anyone of any significance. They have their own connections and networks and ideas. 

Also, this is jinx proof - it's happening. Moorhead's response was the closest thing a rumored hire has ever said to "yes I'm leaving."

Search Joe Moorhead on YouTube and there are some awesome videos.  In an interview today he spoke about being in the booth because of his recent health scare.  Mentions briefly his MAC Championship game.  There's another video in which he's described as a genius.

He said his priorities are: 1. Personal and Family.   2.  Professional  3.  Monetary.     Said he grew up poor and he's doing fine. 

Also, the "drag my Yankee ass out of here" interview is intense.  You can tell he hated it there at MSU.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Thanks 1

I would suspect that as a long time college coach Moorhead has made many connections through the coaching community and will use those connections to build his staff.  I also suspect we won't see any big names due to the budget, a budget in which his salary will be the primary expense.   That may well limit his ability to bring in a Frye or Getsy who are likely already making good money.

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

I get it but I think your balls are safe.  Enough has leaked out, Guthrie’s subliminal Twitter message.  Moorhead wants to get through PAC 12 ship with no distractions, there is enough time after that someone can step up to OC for the bowl game & he will leave to come to Akron to build staff & get on the recruiting trail to hit the road running.

That’s what I choose to believe

Spot on. 

48 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Maybe he does want to finish out this week at Oregon for whatever reason. I personally don't believe its a great idea. Its a critical time to recruit players as well as coaches. Every day matters.

This is pretty standard practice. The bowl games are what coaches typically forgo. Can't fault a guy for waiting until after the conference title game before moving to a team that sucked so bad, they started their search a month prior. I'd imagine Akron won't be his last stop, so why would he want to burn any bridges?

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Staff: No.

Players: Mumpfield please. Maybe some of the P5 transfers on defense, but I'd imagine a slew of elevated talent follows Moorhead to Akron.

Recruits: Anyone he feels is up to snuff for his system. Otherwise, I can't imagine the talent level Arth was targeting matches what Moorhead is able to target. 

5 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Anyone thinking of watching the Oregon Game Friday night?

Absolutely. 

For comparison purposes, Maurice Linguist was making $680k at Michigan as DC and signed with Buffalo for $675k as HC.  Frankly, I'm surprised he wasn't making more in that position at Michigan.  

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2021/05/10/maurice-linguist-michigan-wolverines-buffalo-head-coach/5027836001/

While Akron fans look forward to an announcement .......

IMO-The exodus of coaches as the season ends (almost) has become a problem. The NCAA needs to put a dead period in place for recruiting (players)from say Thanksgiving until the first week of January. Then the need to leave/ start at a new school asap diminishes

Edited by morris buttermaker

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I would suspect that as a long time college coach Moorhead has made many connections through the coaching community and will use those connections to build his staff.  I also suspect we won't see any big names due to the budget, a budget in which his salary will be the primary expense.   That may well limit his ability to bring in a Frye or Getsy who are likely already making good money.

Not so fast my friend. I think if they're gonna splurge they're not going to hamstring him by nickel and diming the staff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Search Joe Moorhead on YouTube and there are some awesome videos.  In an interview today he spoke about being in the booth because of his recent health scare.  Mentions briefly his MAC Championship game.  There's another video in which he's described as a genius.

He said his priorities are: 1. Personal and Family.   2.  Professional  3.  Monetary.     Said he grew up poor and he's doing fine. 

Also, the "drag my Yankee ass out of here" interview is intense.  You can tell he hated it there at MSU.

Thanks for bringing this up. Watching some this evening. Learning more about his offense, I wonder if DJ is naturally a better fit (not that Zach wasn't a capable runner himself).

• Like 1

I'd like to see Irons stay. He's the kind of dual threat QB that would fit an Oregon style offense. I feel Akron had some talent at the skilled positions that would be nice to keep. Overall, I would expect to keep anyone who wants to be here. Naturally many guys will want to transfer and it's impossible to replace 85 guys in 1 season.

I doubt anyone noteworthy from the staff gets retained. Moorhead will want his own coaches that fit his offensive and defensive scheme.

It would be nice if he could bring some grad transfers that are buried on Oregon's depth chart. Ideally someone on the offensive line or anywhere on the defense.

Edited by kreed5120