New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Her husband had a recent health scare.  she probably wants her husband to do whatever will make him happiest.  Rebuilding the Akron Zips may be less stressful than calling the offensive plays for a Power 5 school with a rabid fan base.

Agreed.  There is a good chance she was the one wanting this.

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Her husband had a recent health scare.  she probably wants her husband to do whatever will make him happiest.  Rebuilding the Akron Zips may be less stressful than calling the offensive plays for a Power 5 school with a rabid fan base.

I can't think of a less stressful job in college football than Akron. The bar is just so low, and if you make a bad decision during a game the 10 fans in the stands probably won't even complain. Give us like 6+ wins every season and you'll have a statue outside the stadium.

5 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I can't think of a less stressful job in college football than Akron. The bar is just so low, and if you make a bad decision during a game the 10 fans in the stands probably won't even complain. Give us like 6+ wins every season and you'll have a statue outside the stadium.

OMG.  The only media you have to deal with is $%*  George Thomas.  I read an article that while he was at Fordham they had staff meetings in a "junk room."  he can drive to work every day and park his car without being noticed.  Maybe LoyalZip will wash his car once a week for him.

3 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Stress will not be an issue. Frustration will. Being here once before, he knows what he will be dealing with. I hope he is the one to create change, not only on the field, but off. 

I don't think he's alone. By the sounds and looks of it, he has a partner in crime in Guthrie. This hire signals the level of which he expects Akron to be at, and it's very high. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

Moorhead to Akron Makes No Sense -- says DK Sports

"Hiring Moorhead would seem to be a home run for the Zips. But given his track record, it's hard to believe Moorhead didn't have better options available than this job.

Moorhead is from Pittsburgh, so perhaps he just wanted to get back closer to home. And who knows what will happen with Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal, who could wind up at Oklahoma or somewhere else. Maybe Moorhead wanted some kind of assurance given Cristobal's situation."

Looks like GT put down read his Twitter feed and/or Zipsnation this morrning:

Oregon offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead will be the University of Akron's next football coach, according to multiple reports.

The announcement is expected to come sometime after Friday’s Pac-12 conference championship game between the Ducks and Utah.

Moorhead would replace Tom Arth, who was fired Nov. 4 with a 3-24 record for the Zips.

"According to multiple reports" means he didn't bother to pick up the phone and work the sources at U of A he's been cultivating all these years :)

7 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

Moorhead to Akron Makes No Sense -- says DK Sports

"Hiring Moorhead would seem to be a home run for the Zips. But given his track record, it's hard to believe Moorhead didn't have better options available than this job.

Moorhead is from Pittsburgh, so perhaps he just wanted to get back closer to home. And who knows what will happen with Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal, who could wind up at Oklahoma or somewhere else. Maybe Moorhead wanted some kind of assurance given Cristobal's situation."

"Perhaps he just wanted to get back closer to home" ---- uh...no, I highly doubt just to be closer to home is why he would take a job. If that was the case, he could have been back to the area sooner I'm sure. The notion that "bigger is better" is absurd. Sometimes less is more, for many. Maybe a smaller program that he could be responsible for making it relevant gets his juices flowing. It will be stressful, but HC in P5 stressful? Likely not. The pressure of P5 isn't 100% appealing to everyone, especially for a guy who lived it. 

Same type of people that likely feel if you don't live in NYC you must be a miserable person who is always bored. 

Bleacher Report

"Perhaps Moorhead is looking to rebuild his reputation as a head coach to put himself in the frame for a Power Five gig in a few years. Winning 10 games with the Zips would almost certainly help him achieve that aim.

The Pittsburgh native may instead be looking to emulate Frank Solich.

Solich was fired by Nebraska in 2003 despite a 58-19 record and landed on his feet at Ohio in 2005. He remained with the Mid-American Conference program for 16 years as the Bobcats became a fixture in bowl season.

While every coach wants to win championships, having long-term job security and becoming a school legend at a program outside the blue bloods can provide a different type of fulfillment.

Considering the state of Akron, Moorhead probably won't yield immediate returns even if he targets reinforcements through the transfer portal. But he should have plenty of time to get the Zips back to relevancy."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

OMG.  The only media you have to deal with is $%*  George Thomas.  I read an article that while he was at Fordham they had staff meetings in a "junk room."  he can drive to work every day and park his car without being noticed.  Maybe LoyalZip will wash his car once a week for him.

I'd clean it daily. Wax it every two months. Get those tires shining. Maybe a monthly detail. If this guy can get double digit wins at Akron, Zip fans would be shoving me out of the way so they can have the honor!

• Haha 1

Watched the interview with him from Oregon. Seems very confident. He wasn't just spewing out cliches like Arth and Stefansky. He has seen more than enough at all levels so probably not much will rattle him. Guess is he is going to be able evaluate what he is inheriting better than Arth and will be able to get things organized around what he has. Think Arth wasn't able to figure what he needed to do with the players he inherited and brought in. (I admit I thought Arth might be a decent hire. Wow!)

Assuming this comes off I think the one thing Moorehead should be able to do is get the program to be more competitive than it has been the last 5 years or so. Probably not too many wins at first but at least competitive.

Reup those season tix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Furthermore, when you're in a hospital bed facing a near death experience you probably realize being around friends and family is more important than money. Particularly when you already will be making a comfortable living either way.

From our friends in Nelsonville:

RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Posted: 12/1/2021 9:49:40 AM 

Oregon OC Joe Moorhead is indeed the #1 target for Akron. Expected to formally announce the offer/hire after Oregon plays in the PAC 12 title game

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:00:08 AM 

What the hell is he thinking?

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:08:40 AM 

SBH wrote:

I keep asking myself that same question. He could get a way better job than that. Unless he's seeing some kind of untapped potential that none of us do, I don't get it. Or he could just be trying to get closer to home? (from Pittsburgh)

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:25:27 AM 

Does seem like a strange move. He should be getting high P5 interest.

Who knows, maybe Akron is finally going to pay huge $$$. Strange they haven’t done this yet.

27 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

"But he should have plenty of time to get the Zips back to relevancy."

We were relevant?

But seriously, I'm salivating at the thought of winning 8/9/10 games a season.  Can you imagine:  Going to Infocision Stadium on a Saturday afternoon and EXPECTING to leave happy?  Completely blows me away.

Now I understand that the hire needs to be finalized, and Coach will have to have unprecedented success within the program, but this hire would be approximately 3,495,635,312.55x better than Tom Arth.  

Also...the 3-24 record with Coach Arth's salary breaks down to >$500k per FBS win in his 3 years.  Ouch.

• Haha 1

I graduated Akron in 2012 and have attended maybe only a handful of football games since graduating. I'll be on the phone Monday inquiring about season tickets if this deal goes through this weekend. I'd say it would be Akron's first real commitment towards trying to win since Infocision was built. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

I graduated Akron in 2012 and have attended maybe only a handful of football games since graduating. I'll be on the phone Monday inquiring about season tickets if this deal goes through this weekend. I'd say it would be Akron's first real commitment towards trying to win since Infocision was built. 

Nice!!! I have season tickets and love to hear when others are interested! Let's tailgate! haha 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

From our friends in Nelsonville:

Posted: 12/1/2021 9:49:40 AM 

Oregon OC Joe Moorhead is indeed the #1 target for Akron. Expected to formally announce the offer/hire after Oregon plays in the PAC 12 title game

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:00:08 AM 

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:08:40 AM 

SBH wrote:

I keep asking myself that same question. He could get a way better job than that. Unless he's seeing some kind of untapped potential that none of us do, I don't get it. Or he could just be trying to get closer to home? (from Pittsburgh)

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:25:27 AM 

Does seem like a strange move. He should be getting high P5 interest.

Who knows, maybe Akron is finally going to pay huge $$$. Strange they haven’t done this yet.

They seem to be ignorant and in denial of the magnitude of this hire.

Meanwhile, per the MAC board...

mufanatehc

"A bigtime hire for Akron. Hopefully he can get you guys turned around."

57 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

Solich was fired by Nebraska in 2003 despite a 58-19 record and landed on his feet at Ohio in 2005. 

This is a good point. Solich took over a horrible program, injected high standards, showed game day competency and turned that program. He was a real prick and the players responded. 

• Thanks 1

Some have been down on the AD. I wish he was standing next to me so I could shake his hand and tell him he did a good job. I really didn't have much of an option about him before this. The Arth firing was a pretty low bar to clear in the competency category. 

I have been down on Dr. Miller because I thought his handling of the messaging of the goings-on at the school has been poor. The AD hire makes me feel less down about him. 

This is a good hire. Everyone should feel optimistic. I sure do.

• Like 1