New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

I've been away from Zipsnation for at least 3 seasons.  Firing Bowden really made me question the athletic department and knew Arth would be another Ianello.

This is the first time I have felt optimism in the program since I gave up my season tickets.  I will be looking into options for my family going into this season.

FWIW - George Thomas is reporting it as a done deal.  I would link to the article but we all know how the Beacon Journal is online.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

From our friends in Nelsonville:

RE: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Posted: 12/1/2021 9:49:40 AM 

Oregon OC Joe Moorhead is indeed the #1 target for Akron. Expected to formally announce the offer/hire after Oregon plays in the PAC 12 title game

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:00:08 AM 

What the hell is he thinking?

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:08:40 AM 

SBH wrote:

What the hell is he thinking?

I keep asking myself that same question. He could get a way better job than that. Unless he's seeing some kind of untapped potential that none of us do, I don't get it. Or he could just be trying to get closer to home? (from Pittsburgh)

Posted: 12/1/2021 11:25:27 AM 

Does seem like a strange move. He should be getting high P5 interest.

Who knows, maybe Akron is finally going to pay huge $$$. Strange they haven’t done this yet.

Couldn't Solich have gotten a high P5 coordinator or lower-end P5 HC position post-Huskers? Why would he go to lowly struggling G5 OU?

• Haha 2

I will be back as well.  I hate to ASS U ME this is a done deal, but this shows me that UA wants my support and wants to win.  That has not been evident for quite a few seasons.

Can we even buy 2022 Season Tickets yet?  Better get that ticketmaster issue fixed!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I will be back as well.  I hate to ASS U ME this is a done deal, but this shows me that UA wants my support and wants to win.  That has not been evident for quite a few seasons.

Can we even buy 2022 Season Tickets yet?  Better get that ticketmaster issue fixed!

Not yet, they likely won't go back on sale until March/April. This is per my purchase for this past season. 

4 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

I found the perspective funny on these headlines:

Everyone is claiming him as theirs!!  

Ex Penn State Coach to Akron

Former SEC Coach Leading Search

Oregon OC Joe Moorhead Reportedly Expected to Be Named Akron Head Coach

"Former Akron OC expected to be named new Akron head coach"

That just doesn't sound as impressive. 😂

Edited by akzipper
  • Haha 1

As the saying goes, “its not over till its over”. However, I am now again enthused by the possibility of bringing a proven football coach to the side lines at InfoCision Stadium. I am a Zip from the sixties and attended many games at the Rubber Bowl. You did not need season tickets then but since the opening of InfoCision Stadium I have been a Club Level Season tickets holder. Aw yes 2005 MAC Champions, I was there in Detroit. Finally, we had something to celebrate. I was there when Charlie Frye became the Zips starting QB at the old Rubber Bowl. There have been some just awful hires made by our AD’s for football. I was encouraged when TB was hired and yes there was some success there. But that waned for some reason.

I felt If we were serious, we needed a change. I like football but I don’t like undisciplined play and going to games with no thought we could win. That brings me to Game Day Experience. The real Game Day Experience is winning or have the real possibility of winning. By the way loved the Buffets this year in club level but, this does not replace being excited about performing with excellence on the field. I do not mean to diminish the efforts of the team we had this year. I do think they tried. Maybe some will grow. I am not an expert in talent evaluation so I don’t really know for sure how good those on the roster could be but, they deserve the best coaching we can give. However, we need to remember the whole idea with a university is education. We can do both, excellence in education and excellence in athletic performance. If we can’t do this, then we will be Champions.  This is a longer and deeper discussion so I will stop with this.

Finally, I hope this is all true and we get a real football coach here and great staff. The Head Coach needs a staff of assistance that inspires and capable of maximizing the ability od athletes toward excellence. By the way I hope JM will consider Todd Stroud and bring him back to Akron. Great defense coach knows what it takes to win.

Mr. Guthrie if your pull this off, I take my hat off to you. Game Day Experience is equal to “its reasonable to expect to win”. STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE. GO ZIPS.

Edited by 60zip
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These would be some nice targets from the Transfer portal.  With all these coaching changes going on this list will get larger.

Ohio State

Illinois

Notre Dame (I bet this will be growing)

Michigan State

Indiana

Minnesota

Marshall

Temple

Def Line

O Line

Linebackers

Wide Receivers

Runningbacks

There is a big turnaround in there somewhere 😁

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, a-zip said:

These would be some nice targets from the Transfer portal.  With all these coaching changes going on this list will get larger.

Ohio State

Illinois

Notre Dame (I bet this will be growing)

Michigan State

Indiana

Minnesota

Marshall

Temple

Def Line

O Line

Linebackers

Wide Receivers

Runningbacks

There is a big turnaround in there somewhere 😁

Thanks for putting this together! I am interested in the QB's! 

If the coach of Oregon leaves there for Oklahoma, this could get VERY interesting too for transfers. (for Akron's benefit)

Edited by GoZips86

4 minutes ago, ziptrumpet87 said:

Oregon is a long way from Ohio... guessing not going to get too many to follow, but who knows.

Yeah perhaps. But if they like our (hopefully new) HC and want playing time, may not be a bad option for some of the kids. Maybe I'm off base though haha. 

52 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Thanks for putting this together! I am interested in the QB's! 

If the coach of Oregon leaves there for Oklahoma, this could get VERY interesting too for transfers. (for Akron's benefit)

Riding the general wave of good feeling surrounding the impending Moorhead hire, I would like to the think the QB situation will work itself out (this could be the unexpected coaching euphoria talking after a horrible season!)

I am hoping that the Zips will get a handful of DB transfers. I managed to drag myself to the Ohio game this year and was blown away by the lack of speed/reaction time in the Zip secondary. It was like they were running in sand while backs and receivers accelerated past them time and time again. If our defense makes every good receiver look uncoverable and every solid MAC running back look like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl, it will be time to up the blood pressure medicine next year. But, if the defense starts to create turnovers and the offense starts rolling, it could be a lot of fun!