New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I doubt anyone who starts at Oregon would follow Moorhead to Akron. If we get anyone it will likely be players who are buried on the depth chart who Moorhead promises playing time too. Those players would still be a big upgrade over what we have on the roster currently.

FWIW.  I saw a random tweet aimed at DJ Irons telling him that he is getting a good head coach and that his skill will fit in his system.  DJ re-tweeted.

• Like 2

I hope the new HC re-evaluates each present player individually before going out and hauling in many new guys, not that some aren't needed. How many times have we seen the "bench-sitters" come in and make plays? Our reaction has been, "Where the heck has that guy been since the beginning of the season." Arth and company had their darlings, the rest sat. I hate when any coach only plays his recruits, ignoring the guys that have stuck with the team through all the crap. COVID, coach roulette, rotating QBs, etc. The TEs have had 3 different coaches this season I think. No consistency, no creativity, no efficient use of all players: ex. a player that was recognized in HS for his outstanding play at his position is switched to another. His experience then is lost to the team. Some position play is close enough for easy transition. Others aren't. Then the coaches say, "Gee, he isn't playing well at that position. Bench him." I'm talking in general terms after watching lots of different HS and college coaches. Women are from Venus and men are from Mars! Therefore, I find it hard to understand why men coaches do what they do sometimes. It defies feminine logic. 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a-zip said:

These would be some nice targets from the Transfer portal.  With all these coaching changes going on this list will get larger.

Ohio State

Illinois

Notre Dame (I bet this will be growing)

Michigan State

Indiana

Minnesota

Marshall

Temple

Def Line

O Line

Linebackers

Wide Receivers

Runningbacks

There is a big turnaround in there somewhere 😁

looks like we could sign up to 32 new bodies, including xfers.

Edited by ZippyRulz

Since we are waiting at the goal line with the announcement this weekend of Moorhead being named Akron HC, let’s get the ball running on position coaches coming to Akron. Who will they get at OC and DC? Any other position coaches they might sign as well. Heard someone mention Frye as OC. Anyone have any clues on his coaching tree from MS, PA, OR or his time at Akron he might tap from? 

16 minutes ago, akrzips2012 said:

Since we are waiting at the goal line with the announcement this weekend of Moorhead being named Akron HC, let’s get the ball running on position coaches coming to Akron. Who will they get at OC and DC? Any other position coaches they might sign as well. Heard someone mention Frye as OC. Anyone have any clues on his coaching tree from MS, PA, OR or his time at Akron he might tap from? 

Frye or Getsy as OC would be pretty awesome. Not sure they'd leave the NFL for their alma mater, but I'd love to see it.

7 hours ago, K-Roo said:

Bleacher Report

"Perhaps Moorhead is looking to rebuild his reputation as a head coach to put himself in the frame for a Power Five gig in a few years. Winning 10 games with the Zips would almost certainly help him achieve that aim.

The Pittsburgh native may instead be looking to emulate Frank Solich.

Solich was fired by Nebraska in 2003 despite a 58-19 record and landed on his feet at Ohio in 2005. He remained with the Mid-American Conference program for 16 years as the Bobcats became a fixture in bowl season.

While every coach wants to win championships, having long-term job security and becoming a school legend at a program outside the blue bloods can provide a different type of fulfillment.

Considering the state of Akron, Moorhead probably won't yield immediate returns even if he targets reinforcements through the transfer portal. But he should have plenty of time to get the Zips back to relevancy."

I was thinking the same thing when the news of this first broke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Football grandma said:

I hope the new HC re-evaluates each present player individually before going out and hauling in many new guys, not that some aren't needed. 😂

Each player will be evaluated against a group of players the new coach brings in. It will create a new and different competition on the team. May the best players win. Nobody gets a break for time served. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

Each player will be evaluated against a group of players the new coach brings in. It will create a new and different competition on the team. May the best players win. Nobody gets a break for time served. 

If a coach brings in a player, he mostly will be biased toward him. He plays him because it justifies his choice. Human nature. New coach recruits have the advantage. What coach ever said, "Ya, I brought you here, but there's a guy that's been on the team for 3 years that will start ahead of you?" 😂 I don't think a new coach has a clue who he's inheriting except for the previous coaches' darlings he's seen on films. I have a soft spot for the guys that didn't quit after the whole Arth-in-charge fiasco.

Syracuse let go of former Zip support staffer Reno Ferri this week. He was here with Moorhead and knows what winning looks like at Akron. Other than that, I could see Charlie coming to be OC. But I'm not sure he's as close with Moorhead as everyone thinks. As long as he doesn't poach a handful of the new staff from Ravenna U like Mr. Arth did, I trust his judgement and am eager to see how this staff shapes up.

4 hours ago, akrzips2012 said:

j.d. brookhart?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Her husband had a recent health scare.  she probably wants her husband to do whatever will make him happiest.  Rebuilding the Akron Zips may be less stressful than calling the offensive plays for a Power 5 school with a rabid fan base.

I don't have the energy at 3 a.m. EST (10:30 in the islands 😉) to search for it, but after the Arth firing one of the first posts on this or another thread mentioned coach Moorhead's name and stated (IIRC) that he wouldn't be available due to his health condition.  I know nothing about this story.  Could anyone with info please comment or post an article on this thread?  Mahalo nui loa!  And the Zip in Paradise won't be buying season tickets but hopefully the marketing dept can actually come up with gear for fans in Hawai'i nei.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I don't have the energy at 3 a.m. EST (10:30 in the islands 😉) to search for it, but after the Arth firing one of the first posts on this or another thread mentioned coach Moorhead's name and stated (IIRC) that he wouldn't be available due to his health condition. 

Todd Stroud is the former Zips coach with the health issue. He was a Bowden assistant.

14 hours ago, NWAkron said:

FWIW.  I saw a random tweet aimed at DJ Irons telling him that he is getting a good head coach and that his skill will fit in his system.  DJ re-tweeted.

Good call, NW.  Yes, DJ "Liked" and re-tweeted this tweet 👇

[edit]: FWIW (don't want to jinx us!!!) 🤞🙏🤞🙏

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

I don't have the energy at 3 a.m. EST (10:30 in the islands 😉) to search for it, but after the Arth firing one of the first posts on this or another thread mentioned coach Moorhead's name and stated (IIRC) that he wouldn't be available due to his health condition.  I know nothing about this story.  Could anyone with info please comment or post an article on this thread?  Mahalo nui loa!  And the Zip in Paradise won't be buying season tickets but hopefully the marketing dept can actually come up with gear for fans in Hawai'i nei.

There is very little out there, but it appears it was appendicitis. So I believe life threatening at the time, but not a lasting issue.

9 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

j.d. brookhart?

J.D. has been out of football a long time hasn't he? But that would be interesting wouldn't it. Getsy would SEEM to be a good option. Like him over Frye because of the type of game he played here. But...Can't see why either he or Frye would leave the gigs they have. That seems a stretch. 

The D coordinator is going to be a very, very important hire considering how bad that group has been for the last few years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 60zip said:

As the saying goes, “its not over till its over”. However, I am now again enthused by the possibility of bringing a proven football coach to the side lines at InfoCision Stadium. I am a Zip from the sixties and attended many games at the Rubber Bowl. You did not need season tickets then but since the opening of InfoCision Stadium I have been a Club Level Season tickets holder. Aw yes 2005 MAC Champions, I was there in Detroit. Finally, we had something to celebrate. I was there when Charlie Frye became the Zips starting QB at the old Rubber Bowl. There have been some just awful hires made by our AD’s for football. I was encouraged when TB was hired and yes there was some success there. But that waned for some reason.

I felt If we were serious, we needed a change. I like football but I don’t like undisciplined play and going to games with no thought we could win. That brings me to Game Day Experience. The real Game Day Experience is winning or have the real possibility of winning. By the way loved the Buffets this year in club level but, this does not replace being excited about performing with excellence on the field. I do not mean to diminish the efforts of the team we had this year. I do think they tried. Maybe some will grow. I am not an expert in talent evaluation so I don’t really know for sure how good those on the roster could be but, they deserve the best coaching we can give. However, we need to remember the whole idea with a university is education. We can do both, excellence in education and excellence in athletic performance. If we can’t do this, then we will be Champions.  This is a longer and deeper discussion so I will stop with this.

Finally, I hope this is all true and we get a real football coach here and great staff. The Head Coach needs a staff of assistance that inspires and capable of maximizing the ability od athletes toward excellence. By the way I hope JM will consider Todd Stroud and bring him back to Akron. Great defense coach knows what it takes to win.

Mr. Guthrie if your pull this off, I take my hat off to you. Game Day Experience is equal to “its reasonable to expect to win”. STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE. GO ZIPS.

There is a significant number of us like you out here. Goes way back to Gordon Larson and Jim Dennison. We can remember and have seen consistently competitive football. I still like the Brookhart, Moorehead, Getsy etc. group. They couldn't play much D consistently but that offense was humming. Lets hope Moorehead can assemble an experienced staff that can organize and evaluate better than the last group.

Hope Gibson changes his mind. He could get 'coached up' and have better support with the incoming regime.

24 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I’d love to see a Reno back in Akron. Hope it happens.

Agreed. I remember hearing back when he left that it wasn't on great terms, as there was kind of a "watch your own death" situation happening with that final season of theirs being full of weird turmoil.

But he worked his way up here, he was very well-respected, he was a hell of a recruiter, he coached a great group of RBs. Bring him home Joe.

Edit: 

I will never understand why I remember all of this completely useless nonsense about history of Akron athletics, but a quick search and here we go!

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1