New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

13 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

Curious...how many players on the 2021 roster were not given a scholarship or a damn dime for their commitment to the team, encompassing; practices, team meetings, personal time sacrifices, summer camp, weight training, mandatory study time, ....? I haven't found the number anywhere I've looked.

There are 117 payers on the 2021 roster and 90 on scholarship; so the answer to your question is 27.

What's your point?

8 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

247 Sports: Mixed Reviews from National Media

"Opinions on the move were divided, to say the least. Most think Akron did a great job of reeling in Moorhead, who has several years of high-level coaching experience. "

Awful article title. There's a consensus on both sides...

- Moorhead is a darn good coach who was expected to go P5

- Akron has sucked

43 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

There are 117 payers on the 2021 roster and 90 on scholarship; so the answer to your question is 27.

What's your point?

How is that possible? FBS caps scholarships at 85.

Anytime there is a coaching change, especially one that brings in a new scheme, there is going to be some turnover. You see it everywhere and not just at the college level. When a new defensive coordinator switches from a 4-3 base defense to a 3-4 they need plyers with a different skillset to fit needs. Not all 4-3 DE can make the switch to a 3-4 LB. I'd expect 30 new faces on next years roster and an additional 30 new faces the year thereafter. That equates to about a 51% roster turnover

Edited by kreed5120

25 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

- Akron has sucked

I love response on twitter. So many "Why Akron?" "Akron sucks, he can do better!" "Should have waited for a better job!" "Am I missing something?!"

Yeah you are missing something. Akron is a nice f'n school. We have a great stadium and fans that deserve to watch winning football.

Even one Oregon fan chimed in with:

"So glad to hear that @uakron and #akronfootball will be taking Joe Moorhead off our hands! Why would he take a “step down” probably because Coach Cristabol was going to fire him!! He is along the worst offensive coordinators in Oregon Football history! #goducks!"

If Moorhead was that bad shouldn't he be taking a "step down"? There are just so many angry people on social media that rant to their 30 followers, while hiding behind a keyboard.

Just because a school's football team has been bad, doesn't mean they deserve to suck forever. There's always been an arrogance to fans of "big" schools. They love to make fun of schools like Akron and when something goes well for the underdogs, they get mad.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

- Akron has sucked

Ah yes, the national media. No excitement to see a bottom team hopefully become relevant. No, they just want to continue reporting on Alabama winning the title every year. Or Ohio State, whomever. All the boring storylines year after year. 

• Like 2

Tweets from random fans that are in actuality fringe college football fans just don’t get it. You wonder why he’s taking a “step down” or saying he “could do so much better”? Read his quotes from the other day. They say it all. End of discussion. 

He’s not the first coach to make a move like this, and he certainly won’t be the last. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Hopefully this doesn't throw a last minute wrench into the plans.

Personally, I think even if the HC job becomes open at Oregon he would still come to Akron. I think he was looking for a good reason to get closer to home. Not just any reason, but one that he was happy with. Plus, I think the less pressure at Akron than a P5 would seem appealing to him. That is all an assumption, of course, but I'm trying to piece info together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

What's your point?

No point to make other than 27 guys were committed to the sucky program for reasons other than scholarship money. I commend them for not quitting. Obviously, they're really anxious to play football. Sometimes desire trumps ability.  90 and not 85 as the rule states?

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Well duh. But I'm talking Thomas Hammock kind of stuff. I'm expecting/hoping for at least 60% of the roster to be brand new. By year two, 90%. Somewhere in that ballpark.

There are 117 players on this year's roster. Sixty percent (60%) would be roughly 70 new players in year 1. Explain to me how that can happen within the recruiting and transfer portal rules, please.

50 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Tweets from random fans that are in actuality fringe college football fans just don’t get it. You wonder why he’s taking a “step down” or saying he “could do so much better”? Read his quotes from the other day. They say it all. End of discussion. 

He’s not the first coach to make a move like this, and he certainly won’t be the last. 

Sports commentary is as worthless as political commentary.  Gee, how about having some control over one's life as a reason to go to a smaller school without a crazy, entitled fan base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

How is that possible? FBS caps scholarships at 85.

Anytime there is a coaching change, especially one that brings in a new scheme, there is going to be some turnover. You see it everywhere and not just at the college level. When a new defensive coordinator switches from a 4-3 base defense to a 3-4 they need plyers with a different skillset to fit needs. Not all 4-3 DE can make the switch to a 3-4 LB. I'd expect 30 new faces on next years roster and an additional 30 new faces the year thereafter. That equates to about a 51% roster turnover

I didn't expect Grandma to understand, but you  - come on.

An exception allowed because the NCAA granted everyone a redshirt year due to COVID.

• Thumbs down 1

3 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I didn't expect Grandma to understand, but you  - come on.

An exception allowed because the NCAA granted everyone a redshirt year due to COVID.

I knew of them giving players extra eligibility, but missed them raising the scholarship cap temporary. I kind of tuned out of college athletics during covid so I haven't stayed current on the rule changes. I really only started getting back into it the last few weeks. About when I started posting here again.

We do not have 90 scholarship players. More like 75....we were never close to the max while Arth was here as a result of him pushing all of Bowden's recruits away and then the natural attrition that happened after that. We should be able to get to the max of 85 this year I'd think, especially with the extra 7 now allowed for players who enter the transfer portal.

• Sad 1

@dre22eraDid you watch the Hoban game last night?  One of the worst coached games I’ve ever seen.  So thankful Guthrie didn’t go that route.  They know they can’t pass with that QB and they run all over people all season & they couldn’t run the ball at all & Coach T had no back up plan.  Nothing outside the tackle, WR screens or creativity