New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I knew of them giving players extra eligibility, but missed them raising the scholarship cap temporary. I kind of tuned out of college athletics during covid so I haven't stayed current on the rule changes. I really only started getting back into it the last few weeks. About when I started posting here again.

I'd like for him to post a link to where he's getting his info about a temporary scholarship cap change. 

• Like 1

"The Division I Council this week approved a one-year waiver of the annual signing limit and initial scholarship limits in football to allow schools to replace up to seven scholarship student-athletes who leave school after the first term."

"The waiver is effective immediately for the 2022-23 academic year only. The overall scholarship limit remains at 85 for the FBS and FCS. And, in the FCS, the limit of 63 scholarship equivalencies also remains in place."

Thanks zipsoutsider!  

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Maybe Oregon with their contract extension for Cristobal. The whole team looks flat. 

By the way, note to self: do not target Boston College transfer QBs. Both Oregon's and BG's transfers from Boston College are not impressive. 

Cristobal stock going down...I'm sure Joe is like get me the hell out of here.  Especially...now.  these refs must be Mormon. 

Edited by NWAkron

5 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

I'm a life-long learner. I really want to read your answer LoyalZIP.

Up to 32 new scholarship players, 117-85 (max amount of scholly players going forward) = 32. 32 +32 = 64 potential new players including scholarship players and walk ons. No limit to new walk ons.

Edited by LZIp

12 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

My hope with Joe is that he'll come in and maximize the talent we have and add an infusion of talent from the portal.  I hope we'll see creativity and have the personnel to execute it effectively.  No more delayed handoffs on 3rd and 11.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Football grandma said:

Over a 2 year period?

32 scholarship players is the new one year limit, assuming at least 7 players enter the transfer portal voluntarily. We are at or close to that already. Peterson, Blunt, Gibson, Qualls, Scott, and Dollard at least. No limit on walk-on turnover as far as I know.

Oregon's personnel is interesting compared to what Moorhead has had success with in the past. Slim, speedy guys (typical Oregon) vs. bigger frames on Midwest/East Coast guys like he had at Penn State. I wonder if he'll find some sort of combination to recruit at Akron, or if he prefers one over the other. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

Another mention of Moorhead to Akron by Herbstreit in the second half. The camera then showed Moorhead looking down at his notes. Couldn't quite tell, but I thought I saw "Guys to bring with me to Akron... Brown - No... Reasons I'm happy to be going back home to Akron... This $%#@ show is exhibit A..."

Side note: Still amazes me that the commentary crew for our 2005 MAC Title was Mike Tirico, Kirk Herbstreit, and Erin Andrews. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Another mention of Moorhead to Akron by Herbstreit in the second half. The camera then showed Moorhead looking down at his notes. Couldn't quite tell, but I thought I saw "Guys to bring with me to Akron... Brown - No... Reasons I'm happy to be going back home to Akron... This $%#@ show is exhibit A..."

Side note: Still amazes me that the commentary crew for our 2005 MAC Title was Mike Tirico, Kirk Herbstreit, and Erin Andrews. 

Definitely agree with Herbstreit. Oregon looks like a team that's distracted by coaching changes/rumors. Even if they claimed to be focused on this game. It's human nature to think ahead to your future. I'd assume most players don't know what the hell will happen after this game. 

I feel like I'm watching the Browns. Unmotivated underperforming offense that falls apart when the run game is shut down. When forced to throw, the passes are all short and lots of drops. 

Edited by akzipper

3 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Definitely agree with Herbstreit. Oregon looks like a team that's distracted by coaching changes/rumors. Even if they claimed to be focused on this game. It's human nature to think ahead to your future. 

I feel like I'm watching the Browns. Unmotivated underperforming offense that falls apart when the run game is shut down. When forced to throw, the passes are all short and lots of drops. 

Injuries at WR... Good analogy. 

Could we see a change at QB? Possibly one that might follow Moorhead? 

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

32 scholarship players is the new one year limit, assuming at least 7 players enter the transfer portal voluntarily. We are at or close to that already. Peterson, Blunt, Gibson, Qualls, Scott, and Dollard at least. No limit on walk-on turnover as far as I know.

That's the way I read the waiver. So the guy that expects 70 new faces is going to be disappointed. 7(with scholarships) out, 32 in = 25 net possible new scholarship added to the max of 85 (which we've been told AU hasn't had for Arth's term) means that the team could have a max of 117 scholarship players for 2022-23 only? Or, does that mean those 25 new scholarships must be counted toward the 85 limit, meaning some current teammates may lose their scholarships? Thank you for answering my questions, unlike some in this forum who make derogatory remarks. I admit I don't know a lot about recruiting rules, unlike some forum members who believe they know everything about anything.

16 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Definitely agree with Herbstreit. Oregon looks like a team that's distracted by coaching changes/rumors. Even if they claimed to be focused on this game. It's human nature to think ahead to your future. I'd assume most players don't know what the hell will happen after this game. 

My take on this game is that Utah had two early losses and since then has walloped their competition apart from loss to Oregon State 34-42.  They are much better than their ranking of 17th.  That being said, Oregon came out and played like an Akron team:  stupid, costly, frustrated penalties. and lazy, bad judgment interceptions.  The defense let a Utah running back push them down the field.  I can see this at Infocision on any given Saturday.

1 hour ago, zzx said:

I respectfully disagree with the esteemed Farmer Jones. If Joe focuses on QB and skill position transfers before bolstering the OL, DL and LB’s, we’re in trouble. 

Re-recruit Gibson. Make sure Mumpheld and Mathison are in the fold. Personally I’d be happy if Norrils stuck around. That’s where I’d focus my early skill position “recruiting.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

As long as he doesn't bring Oregon's current QB...

Oregon’s 2nd , 3rd and 4th QBs on the depth chart are all freshman, With all of them being in a  same class logjam it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility one of them makes the move