New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

here's a list of his MSU staff which may be more helpful, certainly more recent- 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-bulldogs-coaching-staff-2019-season-finalizied/

Tony Hughes, Associate Head Coach/Tight Ends (eighth year)

Terry Richardson, Assistant Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Running Backs (first year)

Deke Adams, Defensive Line (first year)

Andrew Breiner, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks (second year)

Terrell Buckley, Cornerbacks (fourth year)

Marcus Johnson, Offensive Line (second year)

Michael Johnson, Wide Receivers (first year)

Joey Jones, Special Teams Coordinator (second year)

Tem Lukabu, Linebackers (second year)

Bob Shoop, Defensive Coordinator/Safeties (second year)

I would guess Bob Shoop would be wanted on the Akron staff. 

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

here's a list of his MSU staff which may be more helpful, certainly more recent- 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-bulldogs-coaching-staff-2019-season-finalizied/

Terry Richardson, Assistant Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Running Backs (first year)

Terrell Buckley, Cornerbacks (fourth year)

Not sure where Terry Richardson is, as he's no longer listed on MSU's website and he doesn't have a Wikipedia. However, I wonder if he'd be a candidate for OC. He produced Donald Brown at UCONN, Lamar Miller & Duke Johnson at Miami, and coached Maurice Jones Drew during his stint with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He played for the Bengals & Steelers in the NFL, so he is not a stranger to Ohio/NEO area. Interesting fact: he's the second to last player in Syracuse football history to wear the number 44. He would be an interesting OC candidate, at the very least.

Would Terrell Buckley come back to the University of Akron as a DC?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, Zips Win! said:

So while checking to see if Getsy has any interest would be ideal, how about a 50 ish year old who had a head coaching shot at a P5 school that didn't quite pan out who might be available?

I would guess guys on the UC staff are waiting for a big payday if Fickell goes elsewhere.

I'm glad UA took my advice and found the right guy.  Thank You.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 12/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Agreed. But I think they probably filmed that at the Cleveland Hopkins airport.

Nice that they got something right at the airport.  Would have been better with him wearing some Akron gear and having some Akron swag in the background.  Oh well, who cares.  You got him!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, NWAkron said:

More of a privilege than a right to post on here.

They need to rebrand the entire football program and game day experience.   

Have the sports radio stations ever been invited to broadcast from the stadium on game days? I think their mere presence would be good for game day, and help get us more on the radar. 

Also: food trucks.  

Just now, scottditzen said:

Have the sports radio stations ever been invited to broadcast from the stadium on game days? I think their mere presence would be good for game day, and help get us more on the radar. 

Also: food trucks.  

The only radio station presence is the vapid and grating Keith Kennedy.  Banishing him would be a good first step.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

The only radio station presence is the vapid and grating Keith Kennedy.  Banishing him would be a good first step.

I don't know who that is, but he sounds great haha. 

I mean, how hard would it be to convince Ken Carmen to come down?  He often has a national audience for his shows on Saturdays. 

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/authors/ken-carman

Ken Carman, a Perry High School and University of Akron graduate, started his love for sports radio while delivering papers around Canton at 11. His first job in the broadcasting world was hosting Friday Night Football, eventually working his way up to hosting his own show in Akron. Carman is a veteran play by play commentator, broadcasting area college sports and Akron Aeros Baseball on radio and television....

54 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I only listen to satellite radio, and always have way too much food at my tailgates… so it wouldn’t help me. But if it brought Joe Akron back from the dead I’m all for it. 

Here ya go 🙂

CBS Sports Radio Channel 158

The Ken Carman Show

Next Airs Saturday at 7 am

4hrs

1 hour ago, scottditzen said:

I don't know who that is, but he sounds great haha. 

I mean, how hard would it be to convince Ken Carmen to come down?  He often has a national audience for his shows on Saturdays. 

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/authors/ken-carman

Ken Carman, a Perry High School and University of Akron graduate, started his love for sports radio while delivering papers around Canton at 11. His first job in the broadcasting world was hosting Friday Night Football, eventually working his way up to hosting his own show in Akron. Carman is a veteran play by play commentator, broadcasting area college sports and Akron Aeros Baseball on radio and television....

If you are at the games, Kennedy is the guy who, after Akron fumbles on the 3 yard line, grabs the mike and asks the 500 fans to "smile for the camera" or promises chik filla for the 7 people in section 332 if Akron makes a field goal.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

If you are at the games, Kennedy is the guy who, after Akron fumbles on the 3 yard line, grabs the mike and asks the 500 fans to "smile for the camera" or promises chik filla for the 7 people in section 332 if Akron makes a field goal.  

I get the disdain for him, but I’m glad there’s at least something to inject life into that place, however artificial it can be. I like him. I may get grilled for that hot take, but that’s fine. And I also agree with you that it is pretty absurd sometimes. But if Moorhead can fill that joint, and we’re competing in games, and it gets rocking a little bit, he’ll keep people fired up like Willy Kollman used to at basketball games. 

Again, I totally get the criticism for him. But I’ve been to a number of games at Kent in recent years, and it’s absolutely lifeless without something like that. They do have people do marketing competitions on the field which is cool, but at least Joe Akron can see Keith Kennedy at a game and be like “oh cool, that’s the guy on the radio in the morning, this place does kind of have some relevance.” Kent had that Ahmad guy from the Cavs do it a couple times (starting lineup guy) and he was absolutely horrid. You could tell he was just in it for the cash, he didn’t give a s*** about Kent or the game. Keith Kennedy seems to, and I’ll give him props for that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The game-day experience is a very scripted one.  It's a production, and what Kennedy says and when he says it is all laid out ahead of time by Marketing or the PEG people, and the timing includes not just him, but the dance team, when the band plays and doesn't, when graphics are displayed on the Jumbotron, so not all his "fault".

6 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

The game-day experience is a very scripted one.  It's a production, and what Kennedy says and when he says it is all laid out ahead of time by Marketing or the PEG people, and the timing includes not just him, but the dance team, when the band plays and doesn't, when graphics are displayed on the Jumbotron, so not all his "fault".

Well that goes along with my suggestion that they revamp the entire game day experience and make it less cringy...for him as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Well that goes along with my suggestion that they revamp the entire game day experience and make it less cringy...for him as well.

Idk, but if we had more of a crowd and were winning (& thus everyone in a better mood) what he's trying to do may not seem cringe at all.  But as it is I feel for him, the last few years he's been charged with swimming up stream at the Info.  Like leading a pep rally at a funeral. 

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Idk, but if we had more of a crowd and were winning (& thus everyone in a better mood) what he's trying to do may not seem cringe at all.  But as it is I feel for him, the last few years he's been charged with swimming up stream at the Info.  Like leading a pep rally at a funeral. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  Trying to amp up a 2,000 person crowd in a 30k stadium for a consistently poor performing team that is inevitably down 3+ scores tends to be a fool's errand.  I like his passion, but it'll seem silly until we can start winning AND getting people to show up.