New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

On 1/11/2022 at 10:48 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Getsy pumps... He throws for Hixon and it is... CAUGHT! FOR A TOUCHDOWN! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Good luck to Luke in this interview process! 

On a related note, how crazy is it that the 2005 MAC Championship was called by Mike Tirico (Now doing Super Bowl and Olympics with NBC) and Erin Andrews was the sideline reporter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

With mid-week MACtion there is no chance of that stadium being filled on a consistent basis. If we could average 15k-18k per game (and I mean a real 15k-18k, not this University buying 50k tickets themselves to inflate the number bs) I'd consider that a success.

First of all, I agree.

Second, the lack of sell outs cannot be spun as a failure. If 18K go to a football game, have a good time, watch some good football on a day and time of the week that is convenient, that would be success as long as the Zips win over half of their games at home. Those 18K people go home and tell others what a great time they have. I don't think regular sell outs are realistic because we are seeing even P5 schools struggling to fill their stadiums (ie: OSU) for certain games. The people who go to games and have a great time get programs through a down season or two because they see the value in going to a game. I am exactly this person as it relates to Wake Forest. I've sat through some awful football at times but continued to go back because everything else around the bad football worked for me. There is nothing Wake Forest does that Akron cannot do. In fact, The Big Dialer is better than Wake's stadium in almost every way. The team has to start winning to a point that a five win minimum season is not considered reason to tear everything down and rebuild. These seasons have to be considered bumps in the road.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

On a related note, how crazy is it that the 2005 MAC Championship was called by Mike Tirico (Now doing Super Bowl and Olympics with NBC) and Erin Andrews was the sideline reporter?

I said this exact same thing in early December when we were discussing Getsy as a candidate (earlier in this thread). It really is crazy to think about considering where they're all at now. 

To Capt'n and all the others who have commented on our new AD his most impressive action may not be in coaches or game experience, but in the administrative staff he has recruited. He got rid of all of Williams staff, except for one who was reassigned, and brought in athletic administrators who were not afraid to challenge the status quo. They seek any change that is for the better. Leadership is the most important factor in any organization and ours has taken a mega-leap forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Agreed. 20-25k on the weekend games, 15-18k on the week night games. That would be fantastic. I also think we have the opportunity to push closer to 20k on week nights if we become a Cincy/Coastal Carolina/UCF/ULL type of G5 program - 1-2 losses on the season, beating P5 schools, etc. Moorhead is going to run a fun offense with talent at every position. People like watching good football, and good football is going to be in Akronites' backyards. 

I'm hopeful that, with time, your 20-25k goal might happen. And your 15-18K might happen during the first half of the season. But given our history, I think "miraculous" may be a better descriptor than "fantastic" regarding achieving your attendance levels. Toledo has attendance numbers similar to what you are hoping for, but look what happens when they host a lousy team midweek in November. 

Ohio Winters suck the big one

41 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I'm hopeful that, with time, your 20-25k goal might happen. And your 15-18K might happen during the first half of the season. But given our history, I think "miraculous" may be a better descriptor than "fantastic" regarding achieving your attendance levels. Toledo has attendance numbers similar to what you are hoping for, but look what happens when they host a lousy team midweek in November. 

15-18k on week nights happens when you're a special team, which I think under Moorhead we can and will be. Toledo wasn't special this year. 

On 1/14/2022 at 4:46 PM, Zipmeister said:

UT must have 10,000 season ticket holders as there was no more than 1,500 in the stands for Akron.

• 7 months later...

It's only because I have supreme confidence that Ball Coach JoeMo will turn us into a G5 power that I can joke about this, but this has been about as an inglorious first 3 games as one could possibly have.  A nail-biter OT W over an FCS opponent followed by two completely non-competitive blowout losses.

In 3 years we'll look back on September 2022 and laugh. 

tenor-5823087.gif.bce729c838465ccdea3800805a827f2b.gif

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's only because I have supreme confidence that Ball Coach JoeMo will turn us into a G5 power that I can joke about this, but this has been about as an inglorious first 3 games as one could possibly have.  A nail-biter OT W over an FCS opponent followed by two completely non-competitive blowout losses.

In 3 years we'll look back on September 2022 and laugh. 

To date, I see no difference between the results from Moorhead and Arth.  I so hope that I am wrong.  I see you are giving JoeMo 3 years, and that is good.  

• Like 1