Game 3- Point Park

clarkwgriswold

I want to see the Zips play the strongest schedule possible as well, but allow me to play devil's advocate. This is not about racking up wins. Not this year. It's actually not about the opponent at all during this non-conference schedule. This is about developing a new core group of guys and getting them ready for conference play. Even the guys who have been on the team now have expanded roles and obligations. It's my opinion that Groce figured this is not the year the Zips win an at-large bid. If we advance to the NCAA Tourney it will be by winning the MAC Tourney. So there were learning experiences gained by facing adversity from the big boys. And I think Groce has to be geeked-up that we took highly ranked Ohio State to the wire. Yes, we are all disappointed with the loss to Ohio State and rightfully so, but I honestly just wanted our guys to hang tough and avoid embarrassment. Maybe the Zips of 2 years ago could challenge Ohio State, but not this squad without LCJ. (Edit: So I thought.) Bottomline, these cupcake games and all of the non-conference are just extended practice time. Focus on the road through Cleveland. Next year we return all but 2 players (according to yesterday's commitment) and I expect a schedule that will be demanding as always in terms of playing different styles, but also one that is worthy of an at-large bid. That is my hope anyway.

I too was surprised we didn't go deeper into the bench yesterday, but then again we all know that playing time is earned in practice. Go Zips!!

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I want to see the Zips play the strongest schedule possible as well, but allow me to play devil's advocate. This is not about racking up wins. Not this year. It's actually not about the opponent at all during this non-conference schedule. This is about developing a new core group of guys and getting them ready for conference play. Even the guys who have been on the team now have expanded roles and obligations. It's my opinion that Groce figured this is not the year the Zips win an at-large bid. If we advance to the NCAA Tourney it will be by winning he MAC Tourney. So there were learning experiences gained by facing adversity from the big boys. And I think Groce has to be geeked-up that we took highly ranked Ohio State to the wire. Yes, we are all disappointed with the loss to Ohio State and rightfully so, but I honestly just wanted our guys to hang tough and avoid embarrassment. Maybe the Zips of 2 years ago could challenge Ohio State, but not this squad without LCJ. Bottomline, these cupcake games and all of the non-conference are just extended practice time. Focus on the road through Cleveland. Next year we return all but 2 players (according to yesterday's commitment) and I expect a schedule that will be demanding as always in terms of playing different styles, but also one that could potentially lead to an at-large bid. That is my hope anyway.

I too was surprised we didn't go deeper into the bench yesterday, but then again we all know that playing time is earned in practice. Go Zips!!

I agree.  Extended practice time!

44 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Groce put the bench in with, what, about 5 minutes to play?  Yeah, it was extended practice and Groce had them foot-on-the-gas for the entire 35 minutes the starters were in.  I felt a little bad for Point Park, but Groce was getting this team ready to play suffocating D for 40 straight minutes.  I loved to see it.

And while the game will count as a win for us, it was a literal scrimmage for Point Park so won't be reflected on their schedule.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, zipsrule said:

Exactly.  Would they rather sell 2 White Claws or 50 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale?

On the topic of beer - They did have a few other non-advertised offerings. Yuengling and Heineken. There were probably another couple I missed.

They don't seem to want to sell the beer. The bar behind the south hoop looked nice, but was empty for the bulk of the game. You'd figure there'd be a PA announcement promoting it, inviting people to stop down? Call it "Porky's Taphouse"...market it somehow?

Word in section 2B was - there was a $20 cover charge to enter the area? Maybe true, maybe an urban legend. But I didn't feel like walking down to find out.

1 minute ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

On the topic of beer - They did have a few other non-advertised offerings. Yuengling and Heineken. There were probably another couple I missed.

They don't seem to want to sell the beer. The bar behind the south hoop looked nice, but was empty for the bulk of the game. You'd figure there'd be a PA announcement promoting it, inviting people to stop down? Call it "Porky's Taphouse"...market it somehow?

Word in section 2B was - there was a $20 cover charge to enter the area? Maybe true, maybe an urban legend. But I didn't feel like walking down to find out.

Z-Fund donors of $2500 or more don't pay the cover, others pay the $20.

https://gozips.com/news/2021/11/12/mens-basketball-akron-athletics-announces-new-z-fund-mens-basketball-courtside-club.aspx

• Thanks 1

When you look at that picture you see a sea of empty seats.  I know this was a terrible opponent but I am guessing that season tickets are way down this year because of covid and that people lost interest because we did not have any fans last year.  I will be curious if we will see more butts in the stands if this team starts winning more games.  I think it sucks for the players to play in an half empty Jar.  

31 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

When you look at that picture you see a sea of empty seats.  I know this was a terrible opponent but I am guessing that season tickets are way down this year because of covid and that people lost interest because we did not have any fans last year.  I will be curious if we will see more butts in the stands if this team starts winning more games.  I think it sucks for the players to play in an half empty Jar.  

honestly, the crowd seemed like a normal first game of the season against a no name opponent.  More importantly, though, there were more students and they were loud and having fun.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ends up Point Park's Sherron Schifino has a cousin, Jalen Hood-Schifino who's a 4 or 5-star (ranked #20 on Rivals Top 100), and signed with Indiana after decommitting from hometown Pittsburgh.  Coach Groce shoulda put in a call to Uncle Jake for a recommendation!

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2020/07/27/Pitt-basketball-Jalen-Hood-Schifino-decommits-Montverde-Academy-Jeff-Capel-William-Jeffress/stories/202007270104