Game 11- PCCC

clarkwgriswold

23 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Man, I wish Arth had done the same at some point this year, or after last year. 

IMHO - I think our problem is less coaching, and more talent. Feeney isn't misusing Mean Joe Green, Lawrence Taylor, Jason Taylor and Michael Strahan. Or even Coe, Marcus, Davis II and Gilbert III. We're just smaller, slower and younger than every OL we face. A single instance of stopping the run, or getting any sort of pressure on the QB has been cause for a ticker tape parade for any of the Arth-Feeney's defenses.

2 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

IMHO - I think our problem is less coaching, and more talent. Feeney isn't misusing Mean Joe Green, Lawrence Taylor, Jason Taylor and Michael Strahan. Or even Coe, Marcus, Davis II and Gilbert III. We're just smaller, slower and younger than every OL we face. A single instance of stopping the run, or getting any sort of pressure on the QB has been cause for a ticker tape parade for any of the Arth-Feeney's defenses.

Fair enough, but I think there are also deeper problems. It makes no sense to me that in the third season with Feeney at the helm, the defense can be in a position where a Buffalo TE can catch a drag route at the 40 yard line and run in a wide open field with not a single Akron defender appearing in the camera frame until he gets to the 10 yard line. I would say the defensive backfield has improved, but far too often things like that happen on coverages. That goes beyond personnel. 

As a poster said in another thread on the WMU game winning TD, sure he was covered, but the safety, I can't remember who, used the totally incorrect technique by attempting to undercut the route and the throw went over the top and was caught. It's easy for me to say, but the obvious thing to do it stay high and keep the receiver from catching it instead of trying to pick it off or whatever it is he was doing. To me, the ineptitude of the defensive backfield is far more scheming than it is talent. Up front, it's talent and size all day long. A Rodney Coe-like transfer would have been awesome this season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Fair enough, but I think there are also deeper problems. It makes no sense to me that in the third season with Feeney at the helm, the defense can be in a position where a Buffalo TE can catch a drag route at the 40 yard line and run in a wide open field with not a single Akron defender appearing in the camera frame until he gets to the 10 yard line. I would say the defensive backfield has improved, but far too often things like that happen on coverages. That goes beyond personnel. 

As a poster said in another thread on the WMU game winning TD, sure he was covered, but the safety, I can't remember who, used the totally incorrect technique by attempting to undercut the route and the throw went over the top and was caught. It's easy for me to say, but the obvious thing to do it stay high and keep the receiver from catching it instead of trying to pick it off or whatever it is he was doing. To me, the ineptitude of the defensive backfield is far more scheming than it is talent. Up front, it's talent and size all day long. A Rodney Coe-like transfer would have been awesome this season.

It was Kelly-Powell that took the bad angle. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

A big part of coaching at the collegiate level is recruiting. Not having the talent they need to form a somewhat competent defensive scheme falls squarely on the coaches.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

There was a play before the touchdown where our safety did the same thing.  He let the receiver run past him but the pass was overthrown and incomplete.  The safeties are looking at the quarterback and are not watching the receivers as they run down the field past them.

• Like 1

Now that Arth has been canned, and because rivalry games can be weird and Kent's defense can't stop the breeze from a dryer vent, maybe we have a snowball's chance. Kent's still playing for bowl eligibility. They don't need to be playing in any bowl games. Beat Kent!

Edited by ZippyforPresident

17 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

There was a play before the touchdown where our safety did the same thing.  He let the receiver run past him but the pass was overthrown and incomplete.  The safeties are looking at the quarterback and are not watching the receivers as they run down the field past them.

That's the kind of thing I mean when I say that the Zips players don't do the simple things I taught 6-year-old fly football players.  I taught those children as safeties not to let anybody get behind them. I also taught them to stay at home on defense. Repeatedly, I see zips players break those very simple rules that I could get 6-year-olds to follow. That's the result of bad coaching.

• Like 2

I really appreciate his pressers.  Good stuff!  Very insightful and zero coach-speak.

GT: "Is Gibson going to be starting?"
Coach: "Yes."

Love his comment about the fact that Kent's D is likely going to struggle no matter who the DC is due to the way they play offense (D's gonna get tired). We witnessed that with Bowden in his first year.

Liked his analogy of the Mexican boxing match. Lol.

And when GT asked about the current situation...

Coach: "I've had cancer twice. This is nothing."

GT: "How are the players doing..." 

Coach: "They're young & many don't have the life experience to know how to handle this properly.  That's not their fault.  I'm working to show them how men handle their business."

All paraphrases, of course.

Great stuff, Coach Rodriguez!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I really appreciate his pressers.  Good stuff!  Very insightful and zero coach-speak.

GT: "Is Gibson going to be starting?"
Coach: "Yes."

Love his comment about the fact that Kent's D is likely going to struggle no matter who the DC is due to the way they play offense (D's gonna get tired). We witnessed that with Bowden in his first year.

Liked his analogy of the Mexican boxing match. Lol.

And when GT asked about the current situation...

Coach: "I've had cancer twice. This is nothing."

GT: "How are the players doing..." 

Coach: "They're young & many don't have the life experience to know how to handle this properly.  That's not their fault.  I'm working to show them how men handle their business."

All paraphrases, of course.

Great stuff, Coach Rodriguez!

Well stated.  I really like him.  I'm not sure he is a D1 FBS head football coach but he seems like a hell of a guy and a great influence on the kids.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

A couple of comments:

-Very kind words, I hope he wrote it and not the University

-Please get some public speaking practice, you will need it in the business world

-I believe you have been at the University for 6 years, I am glad you have 2 degrees and will have a Masters soon.

-Good luck in the future!

22 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

How out of game shape is bubba going to be?  He's been out so long would he be able to get back into game shape this late in the year?  Maybe I'm just old and forget how quickly young bucks bounce back? Idk.

1. That is why I asked for a confirmed story, not some speculation.

2. Even an out of shape Bubba will be better than anything that we have.  Look at the yards and points we have given up over the last few weeks.