Game 5- Fordham

clarkwgriswold

The Zips head to the Gulf Coast Showcase Monday and open with the 2-1 Fordham Rams.  Fordham plays in the A-10 and so far have beaten Columbia and University of St. Thomas while losing to Manhattan College.  Fordham was ranked as 14th in the 14 team A-10 pre-season poll.  Fordham lost it's top 3 scorers but returns 3 starters and has a new coach, Kyle Neptune, who was an assistant at Villanova.   They also added All-Horizon League Darius Quisenberry, a 6-2 guard from Youngstown State

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

3 nice wins in Florida would cleanse the palate for Zips fans.

That would be nice.  There's no one in the tournament that particularly scares me.  Oakland out of the other side of the bracket has played close games against West Virginia and Oklahoma State.  I wish there was a way to watch this without subscribing to some other service.

Definitely on the fence about subscribing, but I am excited. I’d say the Zips are the first, maybe second best team in the field since we don’t know much about anyone else. This is a nice early taste for the squad to feel out tournament play together and build their teamism. I’ll be a little bummed if the Zips don’t come back home undefeated from the trip, but it’s still early and there’s a lot of magic for Groce to work. With that said, the Zips are two weeks into the season and haven’t played a bad half of basketball yet. I know strength of schedule blah blah blah. We will probably see a couple this week, hopefully they handle adversity well. 

Go Zips!

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

What is the information for watching this online or TV.  Can someone fill me in on the subscription service referred to above.

https://www.flohoops.com/signup?redirect=%2Flive%2F30913&utm_campaign=97083mensgulfcoastsh&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=gulfcoastshowcase.com&utm_content=website&rtid=97083&coverage_id=7131529

$30 for a month of access. 640 WHLO sounds a bit more intriguing. 

Edited by LoyalZIP
  • Like 1

I'd say Vermont is likely the favorite to win the tournament. They already have wins against Northern Iowa and Yale, both of which are solid mid-majors. Their loss was against a ranked Maryland. After Vermont I'd say Akron, Rice, and Oakland are all capable of winning the tournament. Overall it should be a good test for Akron.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

I'm simply excited to see this team play DI competition again. 

Quisenberry is a solid player. The same defensive effort we saw against OSUcks should help contain him, however. 

I'm interested to see how the offensive game plan in this game compares to the OSUcks game as well. Do we look to consistently pound the paint again, or will be it be Jesus Take the Wheel from behind the arc?

33 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

will be it be Jesus Take the Wheel from behind the arc?

🤣🤣

If we keep playing with the focussed defensive intensity we've seen through the first 3 games we'll at the very least be in every game this year.  

We played tremendous D -v- OSUcks & Groce never took the foot off the gas -v- the two lightweights.  So, yes, I'm excited to see how we bring it against D-1 opponents again.

$30 for 3 games.  Zips are 11 point favorites over Fordham tonight. 

If we win tonight, I can watch all 3 games (2nd round, 11/23 7:30p, 3rd place game 5pm 7/24 or championship 11/24 7:30p).

If we lose tonight's game,  it would be the only game I'd be able to watch due to work commitments (Loser's bracket games are morning/early afternoon the next two days).

So the question is this:  Am I willing to bet $30 on the Zips beating Fordham tonight?  Are you?

4 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

If we win tonight, I can watch all 3 games (2nd round, 11/23 7:30p, 3rd place game 5pm 7/24 or championship 11/24 7:30p).

If we lose tonight's game,  it would be the only game I'd be able to watch due to work commitments (Loser's bracket games are morning/early afternoon the next two days).

So the question is this:  Am I willing to bet $30 on the Zips beating Fordham tonight?  Are you?

I think I'd take Fordham to cover, but Zips money line. For what its worth, I do also believe you have the opportunity to watch replays.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

🤣🤣

If we keep playing with the focussed defensive intensity we've seen through the first 3 games we'll at the very least be in every game this year.  

We played tremendous D -v- OSUcks & Groce never took the foot off the gas -v- the two lightweights.  So, yes, I'm excited to see how we bring it against D-1 opponents again.

I noted in a separate thread that Kittens were able to keep it close with Kentucky up to the point Kentucky turned up the defense.   Kentucky worried me for awhile. They were playing like that traditional low seed power 5 program that is surprised in the first round because they just roll along in a half court game while the higher seed pops 3s from all over the court.   Once Kentucky, who has some amazing players and one of the best rebounders I've even seen, stepped it up just a notch and pressed and pressured it was over.  Groce finally has the depth to do that and not worry about his star player tiring out.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

I signed up and can watch the Evansville/Rice game now.  Nice picture.  good coverage.

22 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I went ahead and grabbed the one month subscription.  Have Rice/Evansville playing on my extra monitor.  Only complaint is there's no game clock/shot clock in the screen graphics.  Hopefully they get that fixed for tonight...or have a PBP guy that will mention the clock.

good point.  and the sound just went off .  May need to watch with Joe Dunn and that new guy doing play by play.  Ok, this beginning to be a train wreck.  They have the game clock now but no sound except for the Spanish language commercials for Mark Walhlberg's car dealership.

Now there's audio

Edited by NWAkron