Game 5- Fordham

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

He was left all alone behind the arc. They were daring him to shoot. 

There wasn't anyone w/in 10 feet of him & no one was making the slightest effort to slide over to guard him.  They wanted him to shoot the ball.

I don't care how athletic Tribble is, that's a massive liability.  I'm surprised he gets so much PT.

• Like 1

Man oh man, I don’t think the threads during the late season collapse last year were even this bad. I think we all know that this group has a very, very high ceiling. It’s game 5 of a 30+ game season. I am also bummed and disappointed in the performance, and no it didn’t happen because of the last two opponents. It happened because Akron shot the ball like s***. I’d prefer what happened rather than something like a 80-55 where you don’t make any stops. This is still a top 4 talent team in the MAC. 

The Zips didn’t have it tonight. Maybe they won’t have it tomorrow or in a couple weeks. But sometimes it takes time to build chemistry and that teamism that has thrived in this program. 2019-2020 teams don’t just walk through the door every year unfortunately. It will take time to build up to that level, they haven’t even figured out the go-to guy yet. That core practiced together for 2+ seasons.  The pieces are there, they just need to fall into place. 

Tonight absolutely sucked and was disgraceful by this program’s standards, but fortunately we have one of the best coaches in all of mid-major basketball that can make some great things happen. The ceiling is so high for this group, I’m pumped to see what they can do. 

10 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Man oh man, I don’t think the threads during the late season collapse last year were even this bad. I think we all know that this group has a very, very high ceiling. It’s game 5 of a 30+ game season. I am also bummed and disappointed in the performance, and no it didn’t happen because of the last two opponents. It happened because Akron shot the ball like s***. I’d prefer what happened rather than something like a 80-55 where you don’t make any stops. This is still a top 4 talent team in the MAC. 

The Zips didn’t have it tonight. Maybe they won’t have it tomorrow or in a couple weeks. But sometimes it takes time to build chemistry and that teamism that has thrived in this program. 2019-2020 teams don’t just walk through the door every year unfortunately. It will take time to build up to that level, they haven’t even figured out the go-to guy yet. That core practiced together for 2+ seasons.  The pieces are there, they just need to fall into place. 

Tonight absolutely sucked and was disgraceful by this program’s standards, but fortunately we have one of the best coaches in all of mid-major basketball that can make some great things happen. The ceiling is so high for this group, I’m pumped to see what they can do. 

Ceiling is indeed high ... but not "SO HIGH" because this team has yet to prove it can be a good 3-point shooting team, especially in the second half. In todays game of basketball you have to make 10 3-s a game to have a shot at a power conference upset and more likely 12 ... and at least 8 3s to get a solid road win in MAC play. Shy of that, you better get a ton of steals and dominate the glass night in and night out. The defense is capable of getting the steals, the rebounding appears solid but not dominant. But it's the 3-point shooting that will likely be the difference between a 1-2 MAC team or a 3-4-5 MAC team.

My opinion.

Edited by RoyalBlu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

Ceiling is indeed high ... but not "SO HIGH" because this team has yet to prove it can be a good 3-point shooting team, especially in the second half. In todays game of basketball you have to make 10 3-s a game to have a shot at a power conference upset and more likely 12 ... and at least 8 3s to get a solid road win in MAC play. Shy of that, you better get a ton of steals and dominate the glass night in and night out. The defense is capable of getting the steals, the rebounding appears solid but not dominant. But it's the 3-point shooting that will likely be the difference between a 1-2 MAC team or a 3-4-5 MAC team.

My opinion.

Well said. I like the core of shooters—Trimble, Castaneda, Ali, throw in Clarke. I feel that’s a decent group there that can be successful. The big one is Trimble obviously as when he’s on, Akron won’t lose any game on the schedule. But he’s still very inconsistent. Though I will say I think he’s playing better defense and he’s been more willing to handle the ball a little bit so he isn’t a one-trick pony. Walton was invisible tonight. After he missed a wide open alley oop layup while they Zips were leading early, he disappeared. We absolutely can’t have that from a guy like him. Team effort. Teamism.  

37 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I like the core of shooters—Trimble, Castaneda, Ali, throw in Clarke. 

I don't much like Ali and Clarke as "shooters," per se. I wouldn't count on more than one per game from each of them, respectively.

I think maybe Dawson should get more PT. I like his D & he can get hot(ish) from the 3-line.

9 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I think there may be less complaining if the game had been on ESPN plus for free.  However, many of us spent $30 to watch this tournament and expected a Zips team that was ready to compete.  Also, I stated during the Wheeling and Point Park thread that those games were a waste of time and did nothing to prepare the team for the season.   This game seems to prove my point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Also, I stated during the Wheeling and Point Park thread that those games were a waste of time and did nothing to prepare the team for the season.

That's part of my frustration. Season tickets are dirt cheap, but those two opponents were absolutely worthless. I've never seen weaker competition in the JAR. For our early season warm-up games we should at least schedule the local colleges.  It'd just make it a bit more fun.

Here is GT's short column on last night's game. It's good. He says we simply laid an egg & we should move on. He thinks it was an anomaly.

In covering the Zips men’s basketball program for almost 10 years, I’ve never seen a team coached by John Groce or Keith Dambrot shoot bricks the way they did Monday in Florida.

This was not the team which showed some hustle in overcoming a massive deficit against West Virginia or nearly upset Ohio State. Once in a while a team will put up an absolute stinker. This should not start a trend.

11 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I think there may be less complaining if the game had been on ESPN plus for free.  However, many of us spent $30 to watch this tournament and expected a Zips team that was ready to compete.  Also, I stated during the Wheeling and Point Park thread that those games were a waste of time and did nothing to prepare the team for the season.   This game seems to prove my point.

Agree.  Couple that with soccer and football issues, it's difficult not to be all "doomsday" about this.  That $30 will be known as my "regret" money and a lesson learned.  A wise man told me the players have shorter memories than the fans do.  

To follow up on B and G's post, going 1-16 from 3 is a freak episode in basketball.  

Edited by NWAkron

37 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Agreed on the $30. That definitely hurt. But don't agree on the last two games. Akron didn't do what it did last night because of those games. Kent lost at Xavier then played Oberlin in preparation for James Madison and ended up beating a pretty good team.

If Akron won by 15 last night, that would also not have been because of the last two games either. If these pee poor shooting trends continue, there are far bigger issues than games against Point Park and Wheeling, which came following scrimmages with Purdue Fort Wayne, WVU, a regular season game at Ohio State, and an entire training camp worth of practices.