Game 6- Gulf Coast Showcase Game 2

clarkwgriswold

I fear that this could be another team that struggles on the road no matter the opponent. But at the JAR, could beat nearly anyone in the country. Back to back games with offense like this isn’t something that a lot of D1 teams will do. I wasn’t too worried yesterday, but this is starting to really bother me. 

1 minute ago, RowdyZip said:

Well, we'll play tomorrow to try and avoid last place in a tournament of (what we thought) were a bunch of scrub programs.  Pretty depressing start to year 5 for Groce.

His teams have not done well in these "tournaments."  Hawaii and Cayman Islands were bad.  They didn't play that well in DC, either, losing badly to Liberty and beating Tulane by 1.

Evansville at 11:00am tomorrow to try and right the ship, somehow. I don’t know if I’ve ever been as disappointed with back to back games in my entire fandom. These games have been like pulling teeth, especially when playing such good defense still. The Zips are in dangerous territory now and need to figure this s*** out. 

I was worried about the absence of LCJ as a scorer and a facilitator coming into this season.  Thought Castaneda would help ease that issue but he's been just about invisible averaging more turnovers (1.6) than assists (1.2) and 9.9 points.  

This team does not have enough offense to win outside of getting hot from the perimeter.  Freeman is the best player on the team, and it's not particularly close.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have the offensive skill (yet?) to be able to run the offense through him.  Might be a long season ahead.

4 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Team loses back to back games by double digits.  
this team blows.  
pissed I spent $$$$ on season tix.  AGAIN!!!
I’ll be donating a lot of these tix this year.  Not worth my time.  
WIN SOMETHING other than cupcake batter opponents.   

I’m out!!  

Really?  This early, you know how they looked vs. the Suckeyes, don't quit yet....

• Like 1

For all the Trimble talk, which is important, Castaneda and Walton have to contribute. Castaneda looks to just be going through the motions without creating much. Walton has been completely invisible this week. That one is shocking to me, he’s been a productive college basketball player for a long time and his archetype fits in on this roster perfectly. It’s just not there. This is all just baffling. Maybe my expectations were way too high. I don’t know. But I’m quite upset right now. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

For all the Trimble talk, which is important, Castaneda and Walton have to contribute. Castaneda looks to just be going through the motions without creating much. Walton has been completely invisible this week. That one is shocking to me, he’s been a productive college basketball player for a long time and his archetype fits in on this roster perfectly. It’s just not there. This is all just baffling. Maybe my expectations were way too high. I don’t know. But I’m quite upset right now. 

I feel the Zips players will need to make 3s to open up lanes for Walton to drive. Teams are just going to pack the paint until we show them that they need to guard the perimeter.

Edited by kreed5120

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel the Zips players will need to make 3s to open up lanes for Walton to drive. Teams are just going to back the paint until we show them that they need to guard the perimeter.

Good point, I’m so fed up I didn’t even think about that. The potential this squad has is incredible, but until the shoot with a little bit of consistency, we could see some ugly basketball

I never thought I would miss a Riak 2 for 3 from the field and 2 for 2 from the line 6 point game but I do.  (I blocked out the 3 failed alley oops and  3 kick outs without even thinking about put backs).

We will see what Groce has up his in his bag of tricks when we get back to the JAR in December.