Jump to content

Game 8- Marshall


clarkwgriswold
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Joe Moorhead effect on offense! What a wild game. That might be Tribble’s best as a Zip, though he flamed out a bit in the second half. Freeman was a monster though, he played tough all game and Marshall guarded him pretty well. 
 

Also heard KJ Walton quit. He took disappearing far too seriously! I’m glad it’s happening now instead of a month or two from now though. 
 

That was anyones game, Akron just made the most plays in the last 40 seconds. Whatever it takes, right? Go Zips!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was one of the best games and finishes in a long time.  I heard during Groce pregame that they were going to play the ball low to Freeman.  And it worked!!  He has improved so much offensively.  I sit behind the Marshall Bench and telling his player that Tribble was not a shooter and to not guard him on the perimeter.  I guess that started listening in the second half.  I am sorry to hear that Walton is no longer with the team but it opened up time for Tribble,  and other players.  I even saw Wynn.  My only gripe is the Groce should not have gone to a zone and given up a wide open 3 in the corner.  Our zone play was not that great.  I think we are better man to man.  I hope they continue to feed Freeman in the post.  

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

That was one of the best games and finishes in a long time.  I heard during Groce pregame that they were going to play the ball low to Freeman.  And it worked!!  He has improved so much offensively.  I sit behind the Marshall Bench and telling his player that Tribble was not a shooter and to not guard him on the perimeter.  I guess that started listening in the second half.  I am sorry to hear that Walton is no longer with the team but it opened up time for Tribble,  and other players.  I even saw Wynn.  My only gripe is the Groce should not have gone to a zone and given up a wide open 3 in the corner.  Our zone play was not that great.  I think we are better man to man.  I hope they continue to feed Freeman in the post.  

Were you one of the gentlemen that Marshall had to hold up Gatorade towels to keep from stealing their final play?

 

If so, you got some good tv time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incredibly fun game that all the fans at the JAR needed.  Some breaks went for the Zips at the end:

1.  Refs catching that Marshall travel at mid court was huge.

2.  Non call on Xavier trying to steal the ball with 2.8 left.

3.  Watching replay, Jackie thought it was mistake for Marshall to call timeout at 18 secs left.  They have hot shooters...play it out when game is tied.

4.  And clutch free throws. 

 

Greg Tribble one of my favorite players.  Groce obviously has him as the core of the team.  I noticed in replay that he was really being a leader on the floor during last 20 secs.  

 

As for KJ, I don't blame him.  I wouls rather blame Whitford.  Groce is a high level coach.   Whitford is not.  This waa KJs 3rd school.  I hope he finds what he's searching for.  It's a real shame.  But he may have been a toxic force in Florida.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, pdt1420 said:

Were you one of the gentlemen that Marshall had to hold up Gatorade towels to keep from stealing their final play?

 

If so, you got some good tv time. 

 

49 minutes ago, pdt1420 said:

Were you one of the gentlemen that Marshall had to hold up Gatorade towels to keep from stealing their final play?

 

If so, you got some good tv time. 

Yes, I can see the coach drawing up plays but it all Greek to me.   I have had those seats for over 10 years and that was a first.    

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Masks are required upon entry.  Once inside, the policy isn't enforced but most wear them when they leave their seats.  They make announcements periodically that they are required.

even if fully vaccinated?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Incredibly fun game that all the fans at the JAR needed.  Some breaks went for the Zips at the end:

1.  Refs catching that Marshall travel at mid court was huge.

2.  Non call on Xavier trying to steal the ball with 2.8 left.

3.  Watching replay, Jackie thought it was mistake for Marshall to call timeout at 18 secs left.  They have hot shooters...play it out when game is tied.

4.  And clutch free throws. 

 

Greg Tribble one of my favorite players.  Groce obviously has him as the core of the team.  I noticed in replay that he was really being a leader on the floor during last 20 secs.  

 

As for KJ, I don't blame him.  I wouls rather blame Whitford.  Groce is a high level coach.   Whitford is not.  This waa KJs 3rd school.  I hope he finds what he's searching for.  It's a real shame.  But he may have been a toxic force in Florida.

 

Biggest bail out was probably Marshall putting up a shot with 5-6 seconds on the clock with the game tied and the shot clock turned off. Even if Freeman wouldn't have been fouled there 3.5-4 seconds would have given the Zips tons of time left to get a decent shot off.

 

Just very poor clock management by Marshall.

Edited by kreed5120
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that was the best game I've seen Tribble play.

 

X was basically a no-show.

 

In an earlier thread I stated that to win (any game, not just the Marshall game) I think we need both Trimble and X to hit three 3's per game.  Trimble did more than his part tonight, and we needed every one of them, i.e., he picked up the slack for X. But Trimble can be streaky and we can't bet the farm on him being on fire every night.  Does it look to you guys as though X simply needs to play with more confidence?  I don't know, but something's off. In order for us to have a successful season they've gotta figure that out (especially due to Tribble & Clarke's iffy outside shooting).  Breath deep, have fun & just let it flow, X!

 

Ali played every minute of the game last night.  Warrior.

 

Marshall has two excellent players in #0 Andrew Taylor and #24 Taevion Kinsey (from Columbus, Ohio - did we recruit him out of HS and if not, why not?!?!).  They've also got a stud freshman in #23 David Early and apparently a player named Curious George.

 

Thank God for Freeman.  Not to get down on Groce at all, but what sort of team would we be without Freeman?  And we lucked into finding a one-in-a-million diamond in the rough playing pickup ball in the rec center?  We can all (Groce & Co. included) thank our lucky stars for that. That's a once-in-a-lifetime happening.

Edited by Blue & Gold
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taevion Kinsey is as good of a player as we will see at the JAR this year.  Jimmy Chitwood the point guard was a player too.  The big man who was their leading rebounder and shot blocker was a non-factor.

 

I'm a little worried about X too.  Just doesn't seem to be clicking or engaged.  Here's hoping he's just coming up to speed but he seems to be going backwards. I hope he's not another Dailey, a guy with high expectations that just never seemed to hit stride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...