Why (or Why not) would a Football Coach Accept a job at the University of Akron

bigjim

2 minutes ago, ermiller27 said:

The media in neohio has always irked me. They always touted as being a supportive part of the neohio community putting reporting in the area first. However it's the same old 99% of reporting coming from one city on the lake and one in Central cow fields. I have since moved to Charlotte NC and wow what a difference in support for our local community and surrounding colleges like davidson, uncc, app state,  and hell even gardner webb. They will show sports highlights from all these colleges and do actual reporting and interviews with coaches. They will even put the college logo of the team playing that Saturday on the weekly weather planner so that people will remember to go to the game! I'm really glad i moved here, they actually seem to support their community. 

I've taken note of this pattern since Lee Owens was hired in 1995.  That's a very long time. The Cleveland media is not only no friend of Akron, they are sincerely the enemy.  They completely ignore us.  Unfortunately, they had the power to mold a region for a number of generations.  Fortunately I can say "had."  I'm glad few people actually watch local 6 & 11 news anymore.  It can only help Akron gain local credibility.

4 hours ago, ermiller27 said:

The media in neohio has always irked me. They always touted as being a supportive part of the neohio community putting reporting in the area first. However it's the same old 99% of reporting coming from one city on the lake and one in Central cow fields. I have since moved to Charlotte NC and wow what a difference in support for our local community and surrounding colleges like davidson, uncc, app state,  and hell even gardner webb. They will show sports highlights from all these colleges and do actual reporting and interviews with coaches. They will even put the college logo of the team playing that Saturday on the weekly weather planner so that people will remember to go to the game! I'm really glad i moved here, they actually seem to support their community. 

The news media in NE Ohio is currently more concerned with social justice engineering and lecturing than they are in actually reporting news. Most of what they present as news is nothing more than opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs down 1

The continuing spiraling of head coach salaries makes it almost impossible for a school like Akron to get a good coach and even harder to keep a good coach.  Until that bubble bursts, college football is in trouble.  Why should any recruit come to a school with trust that his coach will still be there by the time he uses up his eligibility?  The stats are definitely stacked against it.  

I have another huge positive.  There is a core group of about 50-100 Zips Nations members who have gone completely insane over the last few days regarding potential options of the new coach.  I love the passion of the dedicated fan base.  Let's get the right guy (Joe), move forward and recruit great talent and win, win, win!!!  Just like my post from the 86 basketball run, lets grow this small group into 20,000+ crazy Zip fans.  Go Akron.  

• Like 2