Game 9- Southern

clarkwgriswold

44 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

That's a very fun opponent to play. One that will not back down and will make you uncomfortable. Rarely do I get annoyed with visiting nonconference coaches, I thought that was a lot of fun! With that said, it was nice to see the Zips execute their offense after the first ten minutes. Trimble has had a very nice homestand shooting the ball, Ali not so much. Dawson was very good once again, and I thought Castaneda played a nice game as well. I'm so impressed by Tribble putting the team on his back, and he led at the foul line today. Freeman is awesome!

This group still has a ton of work to do. I like the depth, but there are too many empty minutes by Aziz and Clarke right now. I'd like to see Wynn worked in a little bit more too. On to the next one.

I thought Clark was pretty good last year as a backup to LCJ.  He was able to penetrate, good passing, and shot the ball decent.  I haven't seen anything like that this year.  He had 2 turnovers in the first couple of minutes he was in the game.  He did not make a shot.  I just see him getting less time unless he starts playing better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

That's a very fun opponent to play. One that will not back down and will make you uncomfortable. Rarely do I get annoyed with visiting nonconference coaches, I thought that was a lot of fun! With that said, it was nice to see the Zips execute their offense after the first ten minutes. Trimble has had a very nice homestand shooting the ball, Ali not so much. Dawson was very good once again, and I thought Castaneda played a nice game as well. I'm so impressed by Tribble putting the team on his back, and he led at the foul line today. Freeman is awesome!

This group still has a ton of work to do. I like the depth, but there are too many empty minutes by Aziz and Clarke right now. I'd like to see Wynn worked in a little bit more too. On to the next one.

I still don't understand why Wynn isn't in the rotation. Last year he provided a good presence on the floor, he definitely could provide some shooting if Ali doesn't find his stroke like last year 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

I still don't understand why Wynn isn't in the rotation. Last year he provided a good presence on the floor, he definitely could provide some shooting if Ali doesn't find his stroke like last year 

Wynn's almost absolute lack of PT has really surprised me as well.  I believe it was @Hilltopper who noted his benchwarming was due to his play on the defensive end of the floor.  But, man, can it possibly be that bad?  To Coach Groce, apparently so.

But D is normally an effort issue, so I'm a bit aggravated at Wynn that warming the bench didn't kickstart his motivation.  

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Wynn's almost absolute lack of PT has really surprised me as well.  I believe it was @Hilltopper who noted his benchwarming was due to his play on the defensive end of the floor.  But, man, can it possibly be that bad?  To Coach Groce, apparently so.

But D is normally an effort issue, so I'm a bit aggravated at Wynn that warming the bench didn't kickstart his motivation.  

We obviously don't know everything that goes on...but last year the self proclaimed "bench mob" with a core of Dawson, Reece, Wynn, and Tribble were fun to watch. Mostly because of effort. Not sure what would have happened between than and now. Maybe a bit of an attitude issue due to role not increasing. All I can say is lack of effort hasn't stuck out to me in prior playing time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Terry Pluto doing this fluff piece on CSU even though they have 0 wins against division 1 teams with a winning record...

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2021/12/something-special-could-be-happening-again-at-cleveland-state-terry-pluto.html

Not even gonna give them a click.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I thought Clark was pretty good last year as a backup to LCJ.  He was able to penetrate, good passing, and shot the ball decent.  I haven't seen anything like that this year.  He had 2 turnovers in the first couple of minutes he was in the game.  He did not make a shot.  I just see him getting less time unless he starts playing better.

Clarke had the distinction of producing 4 fouls and 2 turnovers in 4 minutes of play against Southern!  Yikes!

If you have talent and aren't playing for Groce it is clearly an effort thing.  As mentioned in here before, Groce sang Dawson's praises in the post-game last week talking about how he should be an example to all young players that scoring isn't the only way to get you on the floor.  I suspect Wynn isn't getting that very message.  It's too bad as they could use him to help in the rotation with Walton gone.

On the topic of Walton, on the radio show the other night someone texted in a question as to what was up with KJ and Groce answered  that he decided he didn't want to play basketball any more.  I wonder if he decided he just didn't want to play or whether he didn't want to play Groce's way or in the role he had had been placed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Clarke had the distinction of producing 4 fouls and 2 turnovers in 4 minutes of play against Southern!  Yikes!

If you have talent and aren't playing for Groce it is clearly an effort thing.  As mentioned in here before, Groce sang Dawson's praises in the post-game last week talking about how he should be an example to all young players that scoring isn't the only way to get you on the floor.  I suspect Wynn isn't getting that very message.  It's too bad as they could use him to help in the rotation with Walton gone.

On the topic of Walton, on the radio show the other night someone texted in a question as to what was up with KJ and Groce answered  that he decided he didn't want to play basketball any more.  I wonder if he decided he just didn't want to play or whether he didn't want to play Groce's way or in the role he had had been placed.

Didn’t agree with some of Groces philosophies. 

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

We need "Basketball Grandma" to explain to us about how Groce has his favorites and only they get the playing time. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

We need "Basketball Grandma" to explain to us about how Groce has his favorites and only they get the playing time. 😇

It's easy to be one of Groce's favorites. Go to class and get passing grades. Buy into the "teamism" idea of being a good team mate and being accountable. Play defense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Southern currently up 24-23 on Kentucky with 4 minutes left in the 1st half. I expect Kentucky to pull away in the second half, but I kind of feel this shows Southern is a scrappy team. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the tourney by winning their conference.

Kentucky ended up winning by 12. Southern is a damn good opponent for a test that they gave, and I’m glad we scheduled them. They gave us the game a lot of MAC teams will give us, trying to beat you up and beat you down despite being less talented. And their coach and Groce were going at it. This was no KD cupcake. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...