Game 9- Southern

clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd like to thank Jordyn Dawson for beating on her little brother growing up to help him turn into the scrapper he is today.

I’d still take Jordyn over Mikal today 😂

That girl’d sure kick my butt 😂

Edited by Blue & Gold

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

Reghi not calling the game tonight. Jacki Windon is there but working with Tim Clark (I believe I caught his name correctly). Anyone have any info on Reghi?

Don't know about Reghi. He might have done a high school championship game today. Play by play guy is Jim Clark. Been around for years. Does some Rubber Ducks games I think. Actually sounds a little like Reghi, but not as verbose.

Edited by ewbrooman1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

There is going to be at least one technical foul called in this game. These refs are letting everything go. 

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Refs invited that BS by allowing too much $h!+ in the first half.

I missed the second half. What happened? Should I play the lottery tonight?

13 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I missed the second half. What happened? Should I play the lottery tonight?

Loose ball, pile on near Akron bench,  Ali at bottom of pile I think.   Benches come at each other.  Groce  stares down Southern coach.  Words exchanged.  Double technical ok benches.   Maybe one on Trimble and Southern guy 

Edited by NWAkron

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Loose ball, pile on near Akron bench,  Ali at bottom of pile I think.   Benches come at each other.  Groce  stares down Southern coach.  Words exchanged.  Double technical ok benches.   Maybe one on Trimble and Southern guy 

Beautiful. Knew it. Refs were moronic for what they let go in the 1st half. Southern coach couldn't believe they weren't getting calls, yet played football on half the plays. 

I thought Souther played great in the first 10 minutes.  They played fast and they played physical.  The Zips could not get the ball into their big men.  However, after the first 10 minutes the Zips started hitting some shots, the refs started call fouls, the game slowed down and Southern could not find the hoop and were shooting around 30% at the half.  In the 2nd half the Zips took control with good defense and good shooting.  Tribble has really been impressive.  The team played well.  

The attendance sucked and I just don't think we will ever get back to pre-covid attendant.  I am guessing the half the season ticket holders are gone.   Thank the rowdies because they are loud.  However, even their attendance was down from the first game.

The Southern coach reminded of Hurley.  He was on the refs the entire game.  He was also yelling at his players the entire game getting into their face.  I actually felt bad for some of their players.  I was surprised to see the Zips try to walk off without shaking hands but Groce called them back.  Glad to see the handshakes at the end of the game after a physical contest.  Saw Freeman make a couple of mistakes in not boxing out after foul shots.  I saw Groce say something to him.  He is a great player and it unusual to see him make mental mistakes.

That's a very fun opponent to play. One that will not back down and will make you uncomfortable. Rarely do I get annoyed with visiting nonconference coaches, I thought that was a lot of fun! With that said, it was nice to see the Zips execute their offense after the first ten minutes. Trimble has had a very nice homestand shooting the ball, Ali not so much. Dawson was very good once again, and I thought Castaneda played a nice game as well. I'm so impressed by Tribble putting the team on his back, and he led at the foul line today. Freeman is awesome!

This group still has a ton of work to do. I like the depth, but there are too many empty minutes by Aziz and Clarke right now. I'd like to see Wynn worked in a little bit more too. On to the next one.