Head Coach v Offensive Coordinator

NWAkron

Quick question to those with a higher football IQ than I have:

Until this board starting going off on Milwee and wanting him fired, I thought the responsibility for all that happened on the field fell on the head coach.  Why fire the O.C?  Ultimately, doesn't the buck stop with the coach?  

Over the last few weeks, I wondered what is the role of the head coach during the game as opposed to the OC or DC?

For example, last night instead of running out the clock in the first half Oregon kept passing the ball which led to the QB making a terrible decision by throwing the ball into traffic and getting intercepted.  Clearly, no one told the QB to make that stupid pass, but whose decision would it normally be to try for a score as opposed to taking a knee, licking your wounds, and regrouping?

In my experience, the head coach makes that call that we’re going to try to score here instead of running it out, and may provide a request on what he wants to see (“let’s take at least one deep shot here”), and the OC calls the plays. I’ve seen a lack of HC direction sometimes, like the OC calls a pass on first down and the HC breaks in and says knock it off and run the ball. 

Yes, the buck stops with the HC, but usually the OC is designing the overall scheme and the wrinkles for the specific opponent. The HC is responsible for selecting an OC with adaptability and the scheme the HC wants to run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night had nothing to do with on field coaching for either team. Utah has much better players than Oregon. Bigger, faster, stronger. They destroyed Oregon twice this season. Assuming Oregon's coaching would have been better, they would have been slightly less humiliated. 

This is a very interesting convo that can probably be much better explained by a lot more people than me, but I'll give it a shot.

I think it largely comes down to scheming and using the personnel in the right places. I knocked Feeney because routinely players would run across the field under the defense wide open, or players would be wide open on the sidelines constantly. That shouldn't happen repeatedly for three season. At some point, you need to give up on a strong pass rush and drop guys into coverage and make the QB beat you another way.

Offensively, it can be style and playcalling in addition to the using of the right personnel. You're playing a matchups game.