Joe Moorhead Officially Hired as Head Football Coach

Dr Z

12 hours ago, mes102 said:

A 2024 offer that shows that this coaching change just feels different. 

I would think this would create quite a bit of stress within Oregon.  Here you have this high profile staff member actively recruiting against you for recruits you thought you had in the bag.  Just another aspect of the college football carousel that is so strange.  

39 minutes ago, Cykron said:

I would think this would create quite a bit of stress within Oregon.  Here you have this high profile staff member actively recruiting against you for recruits you thought you had in the bag.  Just another aspect of the college football carousel that is so strange.  

Oregon was his only previous offer from the sounds of his tweet. Also, with a new staff coming in I doubt the new coach would honor that offer.

I don't think we will be competing with Oregon for any recruits that Moorhead didn't previously recruit. But those he previously recruited, like the QB from PA in 2024 class, why not check and see if you can get any of them to follow you? Those are the ones that has a chance at possibly considering Akron. After those recruits, I don't expect any "competition" between the schools. I think the bigger chance of taking any players from Oregon will be already on the team. The fact you got Moorhead in the same building as those guys for two weeks and a bowl game can only help. 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

Just had a very fun experience.  Got a call from Akron, Ohio.  It was Joe Moorhead inviting me to buy tickets!

We talked for a while.  He was chatty at first, then didn't say much more.  So I gave him all my thoughts about Akron football.  To his credit, he didn't dismiss or critique a single one of my ideas.  Didn't even interrupt me once while I was talking.  Classy guy.  

Go Zips!  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Just had a very fun experience.  Got a call from Akron, Ohio.  It was Joe Moorhead inviting me to buy tickets!

We talked for a while.  He was chatty at first, then didn't say much more.  So I gave him all my thoughts about Akron football.  To his credit, he didn't dismiss or critique a single one of my ideas.  Didn't even interrupt me once while I was talking.  Classy guy.  

Go Zips!  

I got the call/voicemail as well. I assume he wasn't actually on the line...right?

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I got the call/voicemail as well. I assume he wasn't actually on the line...right?

I think that's the joke @Cykron was making.

However, if Cykron thought he was actually talking to Joe Moorhead, we might have another Ray Kinsella situation in the corn fields of Iowa... Ease his pain, Cykron, ease his pain...

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Interesting. He'll likely bring in a whole new staff full of his guys, but I wonder if McClendon will be retained due to the Georgia connection.

A defensive minded head coaching hire with a program that has been primarily offensively driven is really interesting. 

I wonder if Moorhead will have an easier time getting some Oregon players on offense to come to Akron now. 

25 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Interesting. He'll likely bring in a whole new staff full of his guys, but I wonder if McClendon will be retained due to the Georgia connection.

Yeah, I expect McClendon to stay at Oregon. If he doesn't stay, he's probably going to Miami...

On 12/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, LZIp said:

Thrilled its officially official. Looking forward to seeing the staff members and start to hear some news on the recruiting trail. BTW...could Bubba be coming back? Really thought he was done for a multitude of reasons, including what some have posted on this board.

bubba arslanian on Twitter: "Time to work 🔒 @ZipsFB" / Twitter

I hear he is probably getting a medical year and plans on playing 2 more years

• Like 1

For all you Terry Pluto fans

Z.N.o., certainly beat him to the punch on this, but if you listen to the linked radio interview Terry Pluto also likens JoeMo's situation/mindset to that of Frank Solich at OU.  I also hope Coach Moorhead is here for the long haul.  

We could be in for 20 years of MAC dominance 😂

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

For all you Terry Pluto fans

Z.N.o., certainly beat him to the punch on this, but if you listen to the linked radio interview Terry Pluto also likens JoeMo's situation/mindset to that of Frank Solich at OU.  I also hope Coach Moorhead is here for the long haul.  

We could be in for 20 years of MAC dominance 😂

I would tell Pluto that the reason Akron never found a guy like Moorhead is because they never went after  a guy like Moorhead. Typically, it's because of the mindset that guys like Pluto have about Akron in that nobody decent would ever want the job so why try? The closest Akron ever came to a competent, big name coach was Brookhart. If you are old enough to remember, JD was one of the big names nationally at the coordinator job. Faust was a washed up laughing stock from ND. Owens was a nobody. Ianello and Arth...please. Bowden was close to being washed up but was not a laughing stock.

Akron is a fantastic opportunity for a coach. Maybe it took a coach that was at Akron during a period of success to see that and the guy wanted back in.

• Like 3

Pluto’s bosses tell him to write about Akron once in a blue moon because he’s been around long enough to that he just *has* to know what he’s talking about. The headlines on those two Arth columns alone should tell anyone all they need to know about his “expertise” on college football. It’s the same thing with the guys who follow Mount Union like it’s a religion. The Kehres name means little outside of their bubble. He may be great one day, but he’s only a .500 MAC coordinator good right now. Sorry guys, reality outside of the bubble you live in hurts sometimes. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

For those who think Pluto knows anything about the Zips, just shy of 3 years ago he proclaimed...

image.png

George Orwell's memory hole is a real thing. In a region full of really bad though leaders in sports, Pluto is one of the worst. I have no idea how he keeps drawing a paycheck. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Pluto’s bosses tell him to write about Akron once in a blue moon because he’s been around long enough to that he just *has* to know what he’s talking about. The headlines on those two Arth columns alone should tell anyone all they need to know about his “expertise” on college football. It’s the same thing with the guys who follow Mount Union like it’s a religion. The Kehres name means little outside of their bubble. He may be great one day, but he’s only a .500 MAC coordinator good right now. Sorry guys, reality outside of the bubble you live in hurts sometimes. 

@LoyalZip:

Pluto is very good as a book author and was good as an NBA beat reporter.  Some of his books are some of my all-time sports favorites.  If you haven't read it track down a copy of Loose Balls, his book about the ABA.   The PD has now anointed him the grandfather of NEO sports columnists which has him conveying opinion more than fact and that doesn't always suit him.  

On 12/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, LZIp said:

I also got the call.  After talking, immediately transferred to the ticket department and re-upped my season tickets.  They said I could pay in June, but I wanted to lock in the seats now at current prices so I paid now.  Ticket prices may considerably increase based on what Joe does.  Finally, it is great to be a Zip fan!!!!

Go Zips!

• Like 1