Joe Moorhead Officially Hired as Head Football Coach

Dr Z

This is very interesting.  It would be just as interesting to hear from our DC how to confuse the QB's reads.  Counter moves by the O.  I remember Bowden's first season.  He had a QB who could execute, and we lit up the score board; only to have our opponents light it up a bit more.  If nothing else, we should have some fun FB in the fall!

3 hours ago, Ham said:

This is very interesting.  It would be just as interesting to hear from our DC how to confuse the QB's reads.  Counter moves by the O.  I remember Bowden's first season.  He had a QB who could execute, and we lit up the score board; only to have our opponents light it up a bit more.  If nothing else, we should have some fun FB in the fall!

I don't know if our DC is the person to ask that regarding JoeMo's O. He didn't exactly stop JoeMo at OSU West.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across this old video of Coach JoeMo when he was at Miss. State.  He is discussing his approach.  I apologize if this was already posted, but I thought it was interesting and informative.  I believe he will use the same approach at Akron.

I hope you enjoy.    

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My copy of the University of Akron Magazine arrived in the mail today.

There is a nice interview with Coach Moorhead on page 14. My favorite part follows:

What are the similarities and differences for you between teaching and coaching?

As a coach I view myself as an educator. Anything that a teacher is trying to accomplish from a methodological and development standpoint are all the same things we’re doing in football. It’s just a different medium. As a teacher, you do your research on the material, you present it to the students, they study and then you have a method of ensuring they understand the material. In a classroom, a test is done in a quiet, sterile environment with a lack of distractions and variables. As a coach you do the same things leading up to the test. But for the test, you may do it in front of thousands of screaming people, in the rain, with people trying to rip the pen out of your hand and kick the chair out from underneath you.

• Like 3

Interesting article. If you don't have a subscription to The Athletic, below is what was said about Moorhead / Akron. 

https://theathletic.com/3335848/2022/05/27/college-football-coaching-carousel-agents/

"In many respects, the 2021 season resulted in a college football coaching carousel that was unlike any before, with 29 FBS head coaching jobs changing hands, including Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma for USC, Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame for LSU and Mario Cristobal leaving Oregon for Miami.

Few know the machinations of the carousel better than coaching agents. What do they really think about the 2021-22 coaching cycle? The Athletic asked five agents for their thoughts on the hirings, firings, long-term contracts and more, granting anonymity so they could speak candidly."

Who was the most underrated hire? 

"Agent 1: Joe Moorhead was a great hire (by Akron). I don’t know if he can pull it off at a middling school that hasn’t done much, but it’s perfect. An experienced guy. I don’t know how long he’ll be there, but he took over something that is really damaged. Tom Arth was a white-collar guy at a blue-collar school. I like the Moorhead hire."

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:38 PM, mes102 said:

"Agent 1: Joe Moorhead was a great hire (by Akron). I don’t know if he can pull it off at a middling school that hasn’t done much, but it’s perfect. An experienced guy. I don’t know how long he’ll be there, but he took over something that is really damaged. Tom Arth was a white-collar guy at a blue-collar school. I like the Moorhead hire."

Well, maybe he's going to be completely happy at Akron and stay for a long, long time. JoeMo likely learned from his Miss St. days that maybe bigger is not always better.

I don't know, just always rubs me the wrong way these people always like to be so doom-and-gloom for fans of smaller schools. Like hey, you have a great coach, but don't get too excited. Blah. 

Edited by GoZips86
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, GoZips86 said:

Well, maybe he's going to be completely happy at Akron and stay for a long, long time. JoeMo likely learned from his Miss St. days that maybe bigger is not always better.

I don't know, just always rubs me the wrong way these people always like to be so doom-and-gloom for fans of smaller schools. Like hey, you have a great coach, but don't get too excited. Blah. 

I share your desire to see JoMo stay for a long time and build a legacy of excellence, one that might be recalled as the golden years of UA football. But I am not expecting his stay to be for a long time. When the Pitt job opens up I expect him to be a top candidate. Both he and his wife are from Pittsburgh with family members still there. Pitt is a P5 school in a great conference, compared to the MAC, with a great recruiting base, powerful alumni base and able to pay big bucks. If offered that will be tough to turn down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I share your desire to see JoMo stay for a long time and build a legacy of excellence, one that might be recalled as the golden years of UA football. But I am not expecting his stay to be for a long time. When the Pitt job opens up I expect him to be a top candidate. Both he and his wife are from Pittsburgh with family members still there. Pitt is a P5 school in a great conference, compared to the MAC, with a great recruiting base, powerful alumni base and able to pay big bucks. If offered that will be tough to turn down.

I agree. This is exactly what I have been thinking. Pitt would be way too convenient and enticing for him should a head coaching vacancy come up. Let's hope Pitt does great for years to come so they are not looking for a new head coach.

3 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

As I have said many times. Good programs have their coaches hired away, We fire ours. It would be nice to have one warrant consideration for a bigger job.

Your post got me thinking and I don't know the answers. How many mac schools have a coach hired away and bring in someone better? Who are they?

I don't know if any have brought in someone better than what they have lost but Toledo has always been able to reload and find another staff to continue winning. Toledo Tom Amstutz is the only coach they have had since Lord Saban left that didn't get hired away excluding current coach Candle

image.png.f61b1fdff285b70092e9549af1e92ec1.png

Candle's updated numbers 45-27 .625%

CMU went from Brian Kelley to Butch Jones. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Section210Zip said:

I don't know if any have brought in someone better than what they have lost but Toledo has always been able to reload and find another staff to continue winning. Toledo Tom Amstutz is the only coach they have had since Lord Saban left that didn't get hired away excluding current coach Candle

image.png.f61b1fdff285b70092e9549af1e92ec1.png

Candle's updated numbers 45-27 .625%

CMU went from Brian Kelley to Butch Jones. 

3+ Decades of consistent winning. Must be nice. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2021 at 2:13 PM, bigjim said:

I also got the call.  After talking, immediately transferred to the ticket department and re-upped my season tickets.  They said I could pay in June, but I wanted to lock in the seats now at current prices so I paid now.  Ticket prices may considerably increase based on what Joe does.  Finally, it is great to be a Zip fan!!!!

Go Zips!

We are less than a week away from the opener, and I still have not received my tickets that I paid for in December (see above).  So, I made some phone calls to what I believe is the ticket office to ask what is going on and why have I not received my tickets and parking passes.  After some discussion, they have my tickets and told me to pick them up.  I told them that I live an hour and a half a way and asked if they could mail them.  They said that they would go out in today's mail.  Akron had my contact information (phone, cell phone, email, address) correct so there should not have been any issues in contacting me.

I personally find this performance completely unsatisfactorily.  It looks like they were trying to keep my money for two tickets and a parking pass.  I first got season tickets in the 80's, but I missed the last two years because of Covid.  I have been a very loyal alumnus with attending games, donations, and hiring many, many students from the University.  With that said, I am appalled at the actions of the University.  Basically, this is the result of that scumbag Guthrie.  I hope they send me my tickets and passes as promised or I will have a lot more to say.