Joe Moorhead Officially Hired as Head Football Coach

Dr Z

17 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Thanks for taking time from the Hudson Community Ice Fishing League to attend the games and post. 

No panties in our shantys! 

All sorts of ice fishing related drink specials around town last night. We have the “Tom Wistercill” of mayors in our town.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

No panties in our shantys! 

All sorts of ice fishing related drink specials around town last night. We have the “Tom Wistercill” of mayors in our town.

Because of this news, I've had to explain Hudson to people in the south more than I ever thought I would. They have no idea it's one of the wealthiest communities in the state and assumed it was some small town in the country.

Joe Moorhead gave a great interview this morning at 7:30 on SiriusXM Channel 84 - Dusty and Danny in the Morning on ESPNU Radio.  I heard that he was on and I was able to go back and replay the interview on the SiriusXM app.

Edited by Akron1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Akron1 said:

Joe Moorhead gave a great interview this morning at 7:30 on SiriusXM Channel 84 - Dusty and Danny in the Morning on ESPNU Radio.  I heard that he was on and I was able to go back and replay the interview on the SiriusXM app.

The interview is excellent. The comments after the interview are very positive. You can tell the two interviewing have interviewed a lot of P5 coaches and Moorhead handled the questions like a P5 coach.

At the end, the interviewers ask the ever stupid question about "fixing the playoff system". Good dodge by Moorhead.  My response would be...."The current playoff is pure trash and trash is horrible for college football. Heaping more trash on top of trash probably isn't the best direction. My solution to 'fixing' the system is to play the bowls and a committee picks what are almost always obviously the two best teams. The fate of college football does not depend on a playoff."

You should listen. The interview starts around 25 minutes into the show.

Edit:  Listen to the segment directly after the Moorhead interview. Discussion of transfer portal and why it is so good for players. A lot of what I told you guys the discuss and that is it allows players to find their level. Akron did a great job with the portal this winter and they discuss it.

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Exposure

It's my favorite kind because it involves actual positive results and not losing 49-0 to a P5 school or playing a game on ESPN on Tuesday night in front of 250 friends and family of the team.

16 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

In a perfect world I hope this starts to get attention in the community. I really just want more of Akron (and surrounding areas) to get jacked up about Akron football and not care to stay home to watch a dumb OSU game.

Obviously, winning will help this A LOT, and I understand the amount of losing has only hindered support. But I hope people understand that we hired a guy that many bigger programs would have easily hired as well and thrown even more money at. 

I don't know, I'm ranting, but I hope this hiring is the start of a lot of new (positive) things, including local support. 

GO ZIPS!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

In a perfect world I hope this starts to get attention in the community. I really just want more of Akron (and surrounding areas) to get jacked up about Akron football and not care to stay home to watch a dumb OSU game.

Obviously, winning will help this A LOT, and I understand the amount of losing has only hindered support. But I hope people understand that we hired a guy that many bigger programs would have easily hired as well and thrown even more money at. 

I don't know, I'm ranting, but I hope this hiring is the start of a lot of new (positive) things, including local support. 

GO ZIPS!!!

Moorhead being in local media - and by local, I mean 92.3 The Fan, 850 ESPN, etc., not just Akron stations - will go a long way.

First order of business - crush KSUcks in marketing. Be THE school in the area. Sean Lewis won't go on 92.3 The Fan, at least not with Ken Carmen. 

Second order of business - win. 

Third order of business - grow with the program. Don't be Mickey Mouse with equipment, marketing strategy/techniques, etc. Moorhead gets it, and I hope the University adjusts to his level of professionalism.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I guess there's no harm, but SI didn't really rank Joe as #1. Some guy from TCU's fan site that's associated with SI did.

From the article

Note: Before we begin, I have to emphasize this isn't a projected order of finish. This isn't ranking the teams. Heck, this isn't even really ranking the coaches themselves. This is a ranking of the job each school did hiring someone who will make a difference in their program.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:12 AM, Akron1 said:

Is there any other way to replay the interview?  I do not have a SirusXM app.  Please advise if possible.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

Found this podcast off one of the replies to the SI.com tweet. Joe Moorhead and Akron part of this podcast starts around 22:35. This guy sounds like a casual football fan that looks at a lot of things at the surface. Thought it was an interesting take to see what those type of football fans think compared to those that are in the trenches. 

T'N'T College Football Podcast

Edited by mes102

5 hours ago, mes102 said:

Found this podcast off one of the replies to the SI.com tweet. Joe Moorhead and Akron part of this podcast starts around 22:35. This guy sounds like a casual football fan that looks at a lot of things at the surface. Thought it was an interesting take to see what those type of football fans think compared to those that are in the trenches. 

T'N'T College Football Podcast

This guys right on top of things.

February 15th and he thinks Gibson and the M&Ms are returning to the Zips.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting that, @bigjim.  I love watching those in-depth video breakdowns. They really demonstrate how football is the ultimate team sport & why they say QB is the single most important position in all of sports.

That's a lot for any current Zips QB to absorb in one off season, isn't it?  Maybe for you guys who've played ball at a higher level Coach JoeMo is using jargon you're already somewhat familiar with?  Maybe the version of JoeMo's offense we'll run this first season will be greatly watered down?