Moorhead’s Akron Coaching Staff 2022

akrzips2012

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is the most fun I've had talking Zips Football in years.

Just think...not only do we have a new coach and staff we're excited about, we're still going to have 32 new players in the next few months to make us hopeful as well!

26 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Just think...not only do we have a new coach and staff we're excited about, we're still going to have 32 new players in the next few months to make us hopeful as well!

This has been a blast since the rumor of Coach JoeMo broke.

We talk Coach.

Now we're talking staff.

Then we'll talk recruits.

Then we'll finally have good football to discuss!

Crazy times.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, John Ward said:

If a young man wants Akron to recruit him. Who da heck and how da heck they supposed to contact someone.Sending film to whom? We can’t gets recruits if they don’t know who to talk to.

The head coach. 

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This has been a blast since the rumor of Coach JoeMo broke.

We talk Coach.

Now we're talking staff.

Then we'll talk recruits.

Then we'll finally have good football to discuss!

Crazy times.

Things are definitely setting up well.  However, it will be fascinating to see the recruits that this coaching staff brings with them.  That will tell us how excited we should get for next season. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

I'm trying to think about how excited I was when we hired Terry Bowden in order to temper my expectations for Coach Joe.  

It isn't working.

I feel the same way. Just like when the Browns hire a new coach. I'm always excited and all I hear about is how "this time feels different". Then it's really not and sometimes is worse. Luckily with Akron football the bar is so low, nobody will be calling for Moorhead to be fired after week 1. 

On paper they both Moorhead and Bowden had similar resumes. Bowden was more successful in SEC, but also took a huge break from coaching. Moorhead is younger and has more experience as a coordinator. 

There definitely was a similar buzz back then, regardless if Zips fans want to acknowledge it. The search that resulted in Bowden was a bit of a rollercoaster. I remember people spotting Jim Tressel at the Student Union and everyone thought UA was swinging for the fences. Then we found out he was just helping with the search process and we landed on Bowden. I remember being pleasantly surprised when he was hired, and thought the Zips would finally take the next step.

3 hours ago, akzipper said:

I feel the same way. Just like when the Browns hire a new coach. I'm always excited and all I hear about is how "this time feels different". Then it's really not and sometimes is worse. Luckily with Akron football the bar is so low, nobody will be calling for Moorhead to be fired after week 1. 

On paper they both Moorhead and Bowden had similar resumes. Bowden was more successful in SEC, but also took a huge break from coaching. Moorhead is younger and has more experience as a coordinator. 

There definitely was a similar buzz back then, regardless if Zips fans want to acknowledge it. The search that resulted in Bowden was a bit of a rollercoaster. I remember people spotting Jim Tressel at the Student Union and everyone thought UA was swinging for the fences. Then we found out he was just helping with the search process and we landed on Bowden. I remember being pleasantly surprised when he was hired, and thought the Zips would finally take the next step.

I was excited when Bowden came (not the case with Arth). That said, I think what separates them is Moorhead could have had his pick of a number of G5 jobs and even had his name linked to a few P5 programs. Bowden didn't have any FBS offers outside of Akron. Whether its coaches or players, it's a good sign you when land people that other programs covet.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Not a criticism, but how can you be a graduate assistant at 3 schools over four seasons?  Must be some funky NCAA rules.

https://247sports.com/Article/Akron-football-Joe-Moorhead-reportedly-targeting-Ohio-States-Billy-Fessler-as-QBs-coach-177517892/

You could be a GA for your entire career if you wanted to, just racking up degrees. You'd have to live pretty poor, but there's nothing stopping a person from doing it.

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

You could be a GA for your entire career if you wanted to, just racking up degrees. You'd have to live pretty poor, but there's nothing stopping a person from doing it.

Can't forget Bowden having his JD and having x amount of years experience head coaching, but taking a GA position at Clemson to screw us over :). 

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Can't forget Bowden having his JD and having x amount of years experience head coaching, but taking a GA position at Clemson to screw us over :). 

Yeah, but that was one school for two years. Still wondering who our Director of On Campus Recruiting will be. 😉

JoeMo said during his press conference that he will have the staff in place by the 2nd(?) of January. With him coaching Oregon's bowl game on the 29th of Dec., I wonder if there are any Oregon guys (McClendon specifically) that could be following him to join the staff. Additionally, the vast majority of bowl games will be over by that point. I wonder who else he has targeted that will be coaching in bowl games for schools not named Oregon. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94