Moorhead’s Akron Coaching Staff 2022

akrzips2012

@bigjimsorry I didn’t reply to your post from a couple days ago. I’ve been out of commission. Whatever bug I caught hit me like a ton of bricks. 

We should have an official announcement concerning the new coaching staff shortly. Maybe Monday? 

Go Zips

EDIT: Upon further review I see that it was only yesterday that you requested this information. Good grief, my days are all running together I've been sleeping so much.

Edited by Blue & Gold

On 12/22/2021 at 8:05 PM, akzipper said:

We're very lucky to have this guy as our head coach...and damn the issue that lead to his emergency surgery sounds scary as hell. 

Amen.  Just think back to where we were a couple of months ago with respect to our expectations of who might follow Arth.  Moorhead is far beyond any of our reasonable expectations.  If you'd have told me then that a coach of Moorhead's stature was the next head coach at UA, I'd have told you that you were nuts and that there was no way UA would expend the money or that a coach of that quality would accept the amount UA would pay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Our QB coach currently coaches CJ Stroud. Thats pretty sweet.

Well, I did a little research, and Billy Fessler is a Graduate Assistant in Columbus.  He was also a GA for Coach JoeMo at Mississippi State.  It appears that his playing experience at Penn State was primarily as a holder.  I could not find any significant playing time and statistics as a QB.  So, Coach knew him as a player at PSU and as a GA at MSU.  He must have confidence in him.  

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/coach/billy-fessler/

In Joe We Trust!!

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Well, I did a little research, and Billy Fessler is a Graduate Assistant in Columbus.  He was also a GA for Coach JoeMo at Mississippi State.  It appears that his playing experience at Penn State was primarily as a holder.  I could not find any significant playing time and statistics as a QB.  So, Coach knew him as a player at PSU and as a GA at MSU.  He must have confidence in him.  

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/coach/billy-fessler/

In Joe We Trust!!

He was a clipboard holder for Trace McSorely in Happy Valley. He knows JoeMo's offense probably as well as anyone. 

On 12/31/2021 at 10:11 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I've been updating this and reposting it every few pages or so. It includes conference experience in their backgrounds. 

HC: Joe Moorhead; Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Pac12

ST: Allen Tucker; SEC

OC: (Moorhead?)

QBs: Billy Fessler; Big Ten, SEC

RBs: Terry Richardson; Big East, ACC, SEC, NFL

WRs: David Gilbertson; AAC, Pac12

TEs: Reno Ferri; ACC, MAC

OL: Joel Rodriguez; ACC, CUSA

DC: Nick Toth; PAC12, SEC, MWC, CUSA

DL: Winston DeLattiboudere; PAC12, CUSA

LBs:

DBs: Tre' Bell; SEC, ACC

Thanks again for pulling this information together LGZ94.  (B&G, I hope you are feeling better).  Last night as I was watching the bowl games, I googled every one of the assistants listed above to review their coaching and playing history.  I went into the websites from many of the various schools that they coached at and read details on these coaches.  What an impressive list of assistants that JoeMo has assembled to lead the Zips.  They are not a bunch of DIII coaches and players.  Several were Grad Assistants who had experience at multiple P5 schools, and they were promoted to position coaches at Akron.  My guess is that in addition to being up and comers, their salary is pretty low to meet the Akron budget, which is not infinite.  They are recent players and can be great role models as well as mentors to the young Zips.  Then, there is much college experience in Richardson, Ferri, Rodriguez, and Toth.  They have recruiting knowledge and experience as well as excellent resume's in coaching.  I do think the coaching on the defensive side of the ball is a little thin, and I hope the final coach that is hired supports the D.  I wish this staff was together for months to recruit; I would expect Akron to have the highest rated recruiting class in the MAC.  With all the athletes entering the portal, I still expect an excellent class by the time February rolls around and the late signing period commences.  For Zips Nation members, I encourage you to research and get to know these coaches.  Based on their pedigrees, I fully expect most of them to be snatched up by bigger programs and higher paying jobs in the near future.  But, that is a good thing.  I would bet that JoeMo has a long list of additional coaches that he could hire as part of succession planning.  I am so excited to see the recruiting, Spring football game, and then the season to begin.

In Joe We Trust!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

He was a clipboard holder for Trace McSorely in Happy Valley. He knows JoeMo's offense probably as well as anyone. 

Let's not forget McDaniels was a clipboard holder for four years at Kent. If there was an NFL HOF for offense coordinators, he would make it on the first ballot. 

7 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Does not appear there is any interest in Arth.  I have googled him a couple times and..... nothing

He can afford to take a year off of coaching and maybe do some consulting work. 

In two weeks, it will be firing season in the NFL. He could pick up a coaching job then. 

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Arth may well land a decent position in football and be very successful.  Being a D1 football coach was just not right for him.  Wherever he ends up I wish him well as he does seem to be a good guy.

Arth most likely will end up with a decent position in football. He has a laundry list of connections and aside from his performance at Akron, nobody has a bad thing to say about him. 

19 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Arth may well land a decent position in football and be very successful.  Being a D1 football coach was just not right for him.  Wherever he ends up I wish him well as he does seem to be a good guy.

Yes, just because he was a terrible FBS head coach doesn't mean he can't succeed as a QB coach. 

• Like 1