Moorhead’s Akron Coaching Staff 2022

akrzips2012

Assuming the above guys sign the dotted line, we will have big time Big Ten, PAC 12, SEC, ACC, and NFL experience on the staff between 4 coaches, with still the OC, DC, and several other position coaches to go. Two of the guys already on the staff have been at Akron before and will know how to sell the program to recruits/transfers. 

This is EXACTLY what I was expecting when Moorhead was rumored to be the guy. Absolutely STOKED it's playing out how it is.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I hope we have a Spring Game. Arth never had one.

Yeah, the spring showcase thing was whack. I get that the spring game technically takes away a practice session, but it’s a cool way to energize the fan base a little bit on the tails of basketball season heading into the summer. 

I have a feeling Guthrie would make the push to have one. Sell season tickets. Sell club level. Sell the suites. Have them open to the public, sell beer, post pricing and buying info all over the place. Have the players and coaches sign posters or something afterward. The more interaction and connection, the better. Those are the kinds of things I miss the most from the Brookhart era. I’m hoping Moorhead can bring back some of the pre-Infocision/iCoach aura around Akron football. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Yeah, the spring showcase thing was whack. I get that the spring game technically takes away a practice session, but it’s a cool way to energize the fan base a little bit on the tails of basketball season heading into the summer. 

I have a feeling Guthrie would make the push to have one. Sell season tickets. Sell club level. Sell the suites. Have them open to the public, sell beer, post pricing and buying info all over the place. Have the players and coaches sign posters or something afterward. The more interaction and connection, the better. Those are the kinds of things I miss the most from the Brookhart era. I’m hoping Moorhead can bring back some of the pre-Infocision/iCoach aura around Akron football. 

💯💯

17 hours ago, Fight For Zippy said:

Sources: Akron is targeting Billy Fessler as the school’s next QB coach. He’s an Ohio State GA, former Joe Moorhead GA at Mississippi State and played QB for Moorhead at Penn State.

Source: @PeteThamel

His resume seems perfect to make the jump to coaching on this staff. These comments only get me more excited.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, LZIp said:

Per FootballScoop:

Akron: Oregon offensive analyst David Gilbertson is joining Joe Moorhead at Akron as receivers coach, per source.

Love these young guys (Gilbertson, Fessler) with already strong backgrounds. The Urban Meyers, PJ Flecks, Matt Campbells, etc., come from somewhere. 

Here is a list of experience on this staff so far...

HC: Joe Moorhead; Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Pac12

OC: 

DC:

QBs: Billy Fessler; Big Ten, SEC

RBs: Terry Richardson; Big East, ACC, SEC, NFL

WRs: David Gilbertson; AAC, Pac12

TEs: Reno Ferri; ACC, MAC

OL: Joel Rodriguez; ACC, CUSA

DL: Winston DeLattiboudere; PAC12, CUSA

LBs:

DBs: Tre' Bell; SEC, ACC

ST: Allen Tucker; SEC

UPDATED 12/13 2:00pm

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I think it was that Illinois game when I sensed something was horribly wrong. 

Now as for @LoyalZip and his plan to sell suites during the Spring game...really reaching for the stars.

I worded it poorly. I mean sell suites for the 2022 season. Make it like an open house, you know? Plus, I'd throw in a free car wash + tire shine!

• Like 1

Taken from the FIU Football website. This is what Moorhead said on Joel Rodriguez. I like the part about recruiting as well! This staff is looking loaded!!

"Coach Rodriguez brings a wealth of experience to the position as a player and a coach and combines it with tremendous passion and knowledge of the game. His players are well-coached, tough and productive. He was a huge reason for our success at Fordham. On top of it all, he is an absolutely tenacious recruiter. He will do a fantastic job for Coach Davis and FIU." - Joe Moorhead (Former Mississippi State Head Coach/Current Oregon Offensive Coordinator) 

https://fiusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joel-rodriguez/1821

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It doesn't matter to me where the players come from as long as they can play. Beggars can't be choosers.

There are 4 hotbeds to recruit - Ohio/Western PA, Florida, Texas, Southern Cal. If we're in two of those four automatically, it's hard to go wrong. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

There are 4 hotbeds to recruit - Ohio/Western PA, Florida, Texas, Southern Cal. If we're in two of those four automatically, it's hard to go wrong. 

You have overlooked Georgia, which has emerged as a better area to recruit than Ohio/W Pa. But to your point, Georgia may also be well covered by our new staff. JM is surrounding himself with a rock star group of assistants. I hope Mumpfield reconsiders. This very well can grow to be a super place for him to be, especially considering, as others have wisely pointed out, few athletes ever make it in the pros.

• Like 2

This is starting to become a real coaching staff once again. So much more experience is pouring in from every d1 major programs. Must be a lot of people Moorhead has in mind for the biggest hires OC and DC jobs since we haven’t heard any rumors on those ones yet. Wonder if he will have all hires done by the end of this week?