Jump to content

Moorhead’s Akron Coaching Staff 2022


akrzips2012
 Share

Recommended Posts

Per his UCF bio...

 

Prior to his single season in Colorado Springs, Toth spent five years at Fresno State, the first four as defensive coordinator while also coaching inside linebackers. His defense earned 17 All-Mountain West selections and one 2012 unanimous All-American in safety Phillip Thomas. Thomas was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, won the CFPA Defensive Back Trophy and was the Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year after leading the nation with eight interceptions.
 
After having only nine turnovers gained in 2011, the year before Toth’s hiring, Fresno State came back in 2012 and recorded the greatest turnover turnaround in the Football Bowl Subdivision since the turn of the century. Finishing with 35 takeaways in 2012 (ranking fifth in the FBS), the Bulldogs’ differential in turnovers gained in one season under Toth was plus-26.
 
His 2013 defense ranked sixth in the FBS with more than three sacks per game and 40 for the season and also ranked fourth with 8.2 tackles for loss per game. Over the 2012 and 2013 seasons, Fresno State and Stanford were the only schools in the country that ranked in the top 10 in sacks both years. 

 

WOW.

 

Toth joined Oregon's staff to reunite with their DC, Tim DeRuyter. Could be this be what the defense looks like?

 

DeRuyter’s 2-4-5 defense emphasizes using defensive ends and outside linebackers in more of a hybrid role.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

With as few big DL we have had the past couple years maybe the 2-4-5 would work but hoping we can get in some DL who can play soon!

 

Per Google...

 

The 2-4-5 is ultimately a defense of specialization as the main pass-rushers are going to be the two stand-up edge rushers. The defense deploys them on the edge because that's the easiest way to utilize a pure pass-rusher and they aren't asked to do a great deal other than control the edge and provide pressure.

 

I like the sound of that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t put much into the defensive numbers.  That defense will be a 4 man front with 2 linebackers.  There is one safety slash linebacker that can be flexible or like you hear in lower levels a monster back if needed in the box or a DB if needed in a nickel package.  So it can be just about any defense depending on the package that is needed but it does need a couple good DT’s to give you the flexibility it needs

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

I wouldn’t put much into the defensive numbers.  That defense will be a 4 man front with 2 linebackers.  There is one safety slash linebacker that can be flexible or like you hear in lower levels a monster back if needed in the box or a DB if needed in a nickel package.  So it can be just about any defense depending on the package that is needed but it does need a couple good DT’s to give you the flexibility it needs

Looks like we chasing some serious talent now. Get some big DL and some guys that can cover and we half way there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 6:34 PM, LZIp said:

 

We're very lucky to have this guy as our head coach...and damn the issue that lead to his emergency surgery sounds scary as hell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have another request of the honorable B&G.  B&G does such a great job of keeping track of recruits that have committed and coaches that have agreed to come to the University of Akron, I was hoping that he could start a similar post (or make a list on page 1 of this post) of the assistant coaches that have agreed to join JoeMo at our beloved University.  A simple suggestion on a layout would be:

 

OC -

OL coach - J Rod

RB coach - 

etc. (list of offensive coaches)

 

DC - Toth

DL coach - Delattiboudre

LB coach -

etc. (list of defensive coaches)

 

Spectial Teams Coor - 

etc.

 

If it is possible to make this list and keep it updated, Thank you.

If not, Thank you and Happy Zipyear!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have another request of the honorable B&G.  B&G does such a great job of keeping track of recruits that have committed and coaches that have agreed to come to the University of Akron, I was hoping that he could start a similar post (or make a list on page 1 of this post) of the assistant coaches that have agreed to join JoeMo at our beloved University.  A simple suggestion on a layout would be:

 

OC -

OL coach - J Rod

RB coach - 

etc. (list of offensive coaches)

 

DC - Toth

DL coach - Delattiboudre

LB coach -

etc. (list of defensive coaches)

 

Spectial Teams Coor - 

etc.

 

If it is possible to make this list and keep it updated, Thank you.

If not, Thank you and Happy Zipyear!!

 

 

I've been updating this and reposting it every few pages or so. It includes conference experience in their backgrounds. 

 

HC: Joe Moorhead; Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Pac12

ST: Allen Tucker; SEC

 

OC: (Moorhead?)

QBs: Billy Fessler; Big Ten, SEC

RBs: Terry Richardson; Big East, ACC, SEC, NFL

WRs: David Gilbertson; AAC, Pac12

TEs: Reno Ferri; ACC, MAC

OL: Joel Rodriguez; ACC, CUSA

 

DC: Nick Toth; PAC12, SEC, MWC, CUSA

DL: Winston DeLattiboudere; PAC12, CUSA

LBs:

DBs: Tre' Bell; SEC, ACC

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

I've been updating this and reposting it every few pages or so. It includes conference experience in their backgrounds. 

 

HC: Joe Moorhead; Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Pac12

OC: 

DC: Nick Toth; PAC12, SEC, MWC, CUSA

QBs: Billy Fessler; Big Ten, SEC

RBs: Terry Richardson; Big East, ACC, SEC, NFL

WRs: David Gilbertson; AAC, Pac12

TEs: Reno Ferri; ACC, MAC

OL: Joel Rodriguez; ACC, CUSA

DL: Winston DeLattiboudere; PAC12, CUSA

LBs:

DBs: Tre' Bell; SEC, ACC

ST: Allen Tucker; SEC

 

Now if you had this detail with bigjim's suggestion to group the assistants under their respective coordinators and got the post located on the first page of this thread you may be in line for some kind of award. I don't know whether it would be a Pulitzer, a Nobel, one of them buy-one get-one-free coupons from Mickey Ds, or something else but it would definitely be something cool you would want to include on your vitae.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr Z
This post was recognized by Dr Z!

Let'sGoZips94 was awarded 10 points.

13 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

 

Now if you had this detail with bigjim's suggestion to group the assistants under their respective coordinators and got the post located on the first page of this thread you may be in line for some kind of award. I don't know whether it would be a Pulitzer, a Nobel, one of them buy-one get-one-free coupons from Mickey Ds, or something else but it would definitely be something cool you would want to include on your vitae.

 

 

Updated. I'll take that BOGO Mickey D's coupon, as I don't think I can personally accomplish the first page of this thread goal. Maybe @akrzips2012 could copy and paste that to his thread-starting comment?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

I've been updating this and reposting it every few pages or so. It includes conference experience in their backgrounds. 

 

HC: Joe Moorhead; Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Pac12

ST: Allen Tucker; SEC

 

OC: (Moorhead?)

QBs: Billy Fessler; Big Ten, SEC

RBs: Terry Richardson; Big East, ACC, SEC, NFL

WRs: David Gilbertson; AAC, Pac12

TEs: Reno Ferri; ACC, MAC

OL: Joel Rodriguez; ACC, CUSA

 

DC: Nick Toth; PAC12, SEC, MWC, CUSA

DL: Winston DeLattiboudere; PAC12, CUSA

LBs:

DBs: Tre' Bell; SEC, ACC

 

 

This is a big improvement, but to qualify for the BOGO the post needs to appear on the first page of the thread. The good news is those clowns who run the Pulitzer and the Nobel don't have such high standards so you still might win one of them.

Edited by Zipmeister
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

I've been updating this and reposting it every few pages or so. It includes conference experience in their backgrounds. 

 

HC: Joe Moorhead; Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Pac12

OC: 

DC: Nick Toth; PAC12, SEC, MWC, CUSA

QBs: Billy Fessler; Big Ten, SEC

RBs: Terry Richardson; Big East, ACC, SEC, NFL

WRs: David Gilbertson; AAC, Pac12

TEs: Reno Ferri; ACC, MAC

OL: Joel Rodriguez; ACC, CUSA

DL: Winston DeLattiboudere; PAC12, CUSA

LBs:

DBs: Tre' Bell; SEC, ACC

ST: Allen Tucker; SEC

Wow!!  Thank you very much.  I have missed most of these hirings, and they did not show up in my searches.  My takeaways are as follows:

1.  Look at the experience and knowledge.  This group should be fantastic at recruiting with the experience and contacts.  I am looking for a great close and many transfers and recruits when the late signing period occurs.  This is not DIII John Carroll (Sorry Arth).  

2.  I did a google search, and several places said you can have 10 assistant coaches at FBS schools.  Akron is currently at 9.  You can have up to 4 grad assistants and Quality Control and Strength coaches.  So, there will only be one more assistant, probably an OC that does not call plays.  

 

Thanks again.  This information has got me so pumped.  

Happy Zipyear

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...