Game 10- Florida A & M

clarkwgriswold

12 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Not sure who that guy is but at 5 minutes you will hear Groce lavish praise on my favorite Zip, Greg Tribble.

I like how Groce essentially characterized the Florida trip as a positive in that it exposed their weaknesses, showed them what they had to work on and brought some humility.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Tribble and Dawson are clearly the guys earning time through effort.

I'd say both are earning time through production. Especially Tribble. He's always played tough defense. But recently he seems to have traded his 3-point shots for aggressive drives to the hole. He's finishing at a higher percentage, drawing fouls, and hitting his FT's. He played great against Southern. What's not to like?

There were probably 28-32 game-minutes freed up by KJ's departure, and it seems like Dawson and Tribble have seized them. It's a small post-Florida sample size, but I like the trend.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'd say both are earning time through production. Especially Tribble. He's always played tough defense. But recently he seems to have traded his 3-point shots for aggressive drives to the hole. He's finishing at a higher percentage, drawing fouls, and hitting his FT's. He played great against Southern. What's not to like?

There were probably 28-32 game-minutes freed up by KJ's departure, and it seems like Dawson and Tribble have seized them. It's a small post-Florida sample size, but I like the trend.

I think they both fall into the description Groce gave of Dawson in the post-game last week as an example to younger kids of how you can earn minutes in ways other than scoring.  I think they're more relied on to be productive through things like defense, rebounds and getting on the floor for loose balls than they'll ever be relied on for scoring and when they can contribute with offense like they have recently it will be a real bonus.  If I had to pick two guys to accompany me into a fight from that squad, those would be those two gritty guys.

10 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

The womans game was cancelled because of Vikings Covid issue.  They should move the men's game to 5 or 6 so there will not be a conflict with the Browns.

My thoughts exactly.  But I’m sure Fla a& m travel plans may already be set

• Like 1

I will put this here:  I saw the first internet ad in which an Akron basketball player is using his likeness.  Aziz is in an ad for the Summit County ADM board under caption "Are You Feeling Anxious."   I'm not making fun of that.  It's a worthwhile organization that helps a lot of people.  And Aziz probably can use the $$.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I will put this here:  I saw the first internet ad in which an Akron basketball player is using his likeness.  Aziz is in an ad for the Summit County ADM board under caption "Are You Feeling Anxious."   I'm not making fun of that.  It's a worthwhile organization that helps a lot of people.  And Aziz probably can use the $$.

Tribble has a clothing line as well. So cool to see. 

As far as the game today, I’m very excited and it could be a trap game after 8 days without a game. I hope to see wire to wire domination, but wouldn’t be surprised to see Trimble cool off or XC still struggle a bit. 

Go Zips!

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Freeman was in an ad for something, too, although I can't recall what it was for.