G5 In Playoffs

GP1

For the first time, a G5 team is in the college football playoffs. Granted, soon Cincinnati will be a P5 school, but today they are G5. What do you want to happen in their game against Alabama?

My opinion is this. I hope Alabama beats them 100-0. Cincinnati is the best G5 team I can remember and I'm pretty convinced they will be destroyed. If the game is respectable, it will confuse those who believe there is no difference between G5 and P5. It will slow down the inevitable which is the separation of the two groups into separate divisions. If Cincinnati gets destroyed, it will speed up the inevitable. The best thing to happen for G5 will be the separation of the groups. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

There will never be a compete separation. The P5 need the G5 schools to pad their win totals. Against non-P5 schools Maryland was 3-6, but because they were able to pad their win total against "inferior" competition they can sell their fan base on a bowl appearance. With a closed division Maryland would be at the bottom of the food chain and their fanbase will die off as I'm sure many Akron fans can attest winning 0-4 games a year year over year is no fun.

• Like 2