Press Conference Introducing Coach Moorhead (Thursday 10 am)

Dr Z

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

Best press conference I've ever seen for an Akron football coach, and it isn't even close! Guthrie mentioned the alignment of the higher ups, and Moorhead mentioned that as a good reason to come home as well. I'm so excited, this is what it feels like to have real potential!!!

Coach described the entire game winner of the 2005 championship and made it clear the value of the Wagon Wheel. He had a ton of family on hand. He was visibly emotional and excited. This is our time!!!!

tenor-43659128.gif.212726398f1427545e533ce323d412f4.gif

• Like 1

Kirk Herbstreit recently commented on the reason the U of Miami Fla hasn't had success is because the juggernauts all have their Presidents, AD's and Coaches all working together with the same vision. You can't have a contender with out it. This presser told me for the first time in our history, we have ALL 3 that our passionate about winning football. That the glorious blue and gold Wagon Wheel means as much to them as it does to me.  

• Favorite part, the play call and formation from the TD pass that won Akron the MAC Championship

• Second, knowing how important it is to beat your rival (coach Bowden did the same)

• Third, saying "Go Zips!" You can tell he is a genuine Zips fan

• Fourth, mentioning coaching the bowl game and saying "I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do"

• Mentioning Monetary as the third reason for coming here behind Personal, and Professional reasons 

Well done. Homerun imo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr Z said:

• Favorite part, the play call and formation from the TD pass that won Akron the MAC Championship

• Second, knowing how important it is to beat your rival (coach Bowden did the same)

Fourth, mentioning coaching the bowl game and saying "I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do"

• Mentioning Monetary as the third reason for coming here behind Personal, and Professional reasons 

Well done. Homerun imo. 

He took a shot at Mississippi State (presumably for prematurely firing him) by mentioning that the Egg Bowl (Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State rivalry game) hasn't been won since his departure. I wonder if this was a slight shot at Cristobal? I don't know what their relationship is like, but I haven't heard many good things about Mario from Oregon fans.

3 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

• Fourth, mentioning coaching the bowl game and saying "I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do"

Well done. Homerun imo. 

It's nice to know he doesn't care much about the money or prestige of a school. He just wants to be a coach and be near his family. Hopefully this means he's here to stay for a long time.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

Kirk Herbstreit recently commented on the reason the U of Miami Fla hasn't had success is because the juggernauts all have their Presidents, AD's and Coaches all working together with the same vision. You can't have a contender with out it. This presser told me for the first time in our history, we have ALL 3 that our passionate about winning football. That the glorious blue and gold Wagon Wheel means as much to them as it does to me.  

Even Dr. Miller mentioned the Wagon Wheel! 💪💪💪💪

16 minutes ago, akzipper said:

It's nice to know he doesn't care much about the money or prestige of a school. He just wants to be a coach and be near his family. Hopefully this means he's here to stay for a long time.

I’m sure hoping it’s for the long haul, a’la, Frank Solich @ OU.

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m sure hoping it’s for the long haul, a’la, Frank Solich @ OU.

We shall see.. but it does sound like as long as his son is in college an hour away he isn’t going anywhere and who knows maybe his son then becomes a Zip for another four years.

• Like 2

Nice presser. The only thing that I think would worry me about JoeMo leaving would be the Pitt or even potentially WVU job opening up - assuming he has the success we all think he can have.

Only 3 questions from the media, 1 from GT (which was pointless) was just downright embarrassing, however.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Nice presser. The only thing that I think would worry me about JoeMo leaving would be the Pitt or even potentially WVU job opening up - assuming he has the success we all think he can have.

Only 3 questions from the media, 1 from GT (which was pointless) was just downright embarrassing, however.

I thought the exact same thing about him only receiving 3 questions! Pretty pathetic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueandgold said:

I thought the exact same thing about him only receiving 3 questions! Pretty pathetic.

Coach talked about filling the seats but it will be hard when the only question from the local paper was...."Does it feel any different here than it did 17 years ago?"

OTOH, at least we don't have Bob Dyer writing columns running down Moorhead and Guthrie.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

The Beacon has always been awful and the Cleveland tv media has always intentionally ignored us.

It truly is Akron -v- the world.

Make us impossible to ignore, Coach Moorhead! 💪💪

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I have talked about how I've seen other schools around the MAC have to look for a new coach after theirs have moved on to a bigger school. We fire our coaches. I would love to replace a coach because he is moving on to a bigger opportunity. That would mean we are winning and having fun.

That said... I hope Coach Moorhead is here for the long haul while we are winning and having fun. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, LZIp said:

53 minutes ago, GJGood said:

We shall see.. but it does sound like as long as his son is in college an hour away he isn’t going anywhere and who knows maybe his son then becomes a Zip for another four years.

He mentioned his son in college, but didn't he say something about having kids starting high school and wanted them to be able to stay at the same school without having to move again?

Edited by akzipper

It was great watching this presser. Seems like this administration wants to get this program back on track. Guthrie really wanted to be aggressive with this search. This press conference similar to that feel we had with Bowden in that we have some hope to turn this ship around again. Moorhead laid out a clear plan, vision and timeline of when they will hit the ground running with the staff. Glad that he wanted to be here since we announced the opening! Great to hear that he wanted the job and put Akron back in the map. Love that he mention that wagon wheel and getting us to beat KSU! Can’t wait to see our 2022 home opener will have a ton of fans at the game!! 

1 hour ago, Section210Zip said:

Very well said, a great analogy and a great lesson about commitment to success. Miami's president basically told the last AD to "go ahead and take care of all of the athletics" and he stopped there. The fan base and donor base seems to have finally broken through that Miami can no longer not try and still be successful, like they did 30 years ago. It's a different day now, and it takes commitment and attention to actually make a difference, and this hire at Akron seems to be birthed from that kind of thinking. This is no Tom Arth, Larry Williams, interim president disaster. Thinking back to how absurd that presser was makes me further realize how doomed that was from the beginning.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Very well said, a great analogy and a great lesson about commitment to success. Miami's president basically told the last AD to "go ahead and take care of all of the athletics" and he stopped there. The fan base and donor base seems to have finally broken through that Miami can no longer not try and still be successful, like they did 30 years ago. It's a different day now, and it takes commitment and attention to actually make a difference, and this hire at Akron seems to be birthed from that kind of thinking. This is no Tom Arth, Larry Williams, interim president disaster. Thinking back to how absurd that presser was makes me further realize how doomed that was from the beginning.

Comparing the two men, Arth and Moorhead the words "confidence"  md "decisiveness " come to mind.

Someday, I'd like to know if Guthrie knew that Moorhead was interested before firing Arth.  The press conference today was incredible, and I can't wait for the day when they'll allow ZipsNation to have a voice in the room asking questions as well.

33 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

I still have no idea how Tom Arth and Rob Ianello got hired as HCs.

How does a 9-13 record at Chattanooga get you a FBS head coaching job? How did anyone think he could be an improvement over Terry Bowden? who was a decent coach and had plenty of big-time winning HC experience.

How does a WR coach from Notre Dame get a HC job? Especially when the Irish were coming off 3, 6 and 7 win seasons. I was a student at UA during that time, I had heard from practically everyone that Ianello was a huge prick and his wife was terrifying.

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Someday, I'd like to know if Guthrie knew that Moorhead was interested before firing Arth.  The press conference today was incredible, and I can't wait for the day when they'll allow ZipsNation to have a voice in the room asking questions as well.

People hate the Browns beat reporters (Grossi, MKC, Ruiter) and most of the time they deserve it. But at least they ask questions regardless of how dumb they usually are. There should be more people in the room that actually care about UA sports.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1