Press Conference Introducing Coach Moorhead (Thursday 10 am)

Dr Z

18 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

There are some large bonuses and incentives in the contract 

Wagon Wheel, Bowl Games, MAC Titles, Recruiting Class Rank within the MAC, etc. Those are my guesses, on top of any other non-obvious incentives. 

$500k for Moorhead is incredibly University-and-program-friendly. I'd imagine the plan is to allocate any additional funds to his assistants (he's clearly building one heck of a coaching staff) and the recruiting budget. Zips fans owe Moorhead their attendance and attention for wanting to come to Akron, and not raking Akron over the coals to get a HC with his experience. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

$500,000.... seems about right, for a team and an Athletic Dept that bleeds money. Glad they didn't lose their minds and spend even more money that they don't have. I wish him the very best.

You must be a blast at parties. 

By the way, it takes two to tango. Instead of taking shots at the Athletic Department (for faults of previous administrations, not this current one) for making the hire of the decade(s), maybe thank Joe Moorhead for believing in Akron and wanting to be at Akron enough to take nearly a 50% pay cut.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

$50,000 for winning the Mid-American Conference East Division;

$100,000 for winning the MAC championship;

$50,000 for a bowl appearance;

$25,000 for earning MAC coach of the year; and

$375,000 for making the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl game (Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl).

If Moorhead leaves for another college job, he will owe the university a buyout of $600,000 (four years remaining on the contract), $500,000 (three years remaining), $400,000 (two years remaining) or $100,000 (one year remaining).

If Moorhead leaves for the NFL, he owes Akron $100,00 during the first four years of the contract.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

$50,000 for winning the Mid-American Conference East Division;

$100,000 for winning the MAC championship;

$50,000 for a bowl appearance;

$25,000 for earning MAC coach of the year; and

$375,000 for making the College Football Playoff or a New Year's Six bowl game (Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl).

If Moorhead leaves for another college job, he will owe the university a buyout of $600,000 (four years remaining on the contract), $500,000 (three years remaining), $400,000 (two years remaining) or $100,000 (one year remaining).

If Moorhead leaves for the NFL, he owes Akron $100,00 during the first four years of the contract.

This is not a sarcastic question, but is the bolded technically possible for a MAC school? I've always wanted to ask as a possibility, but I felt I would look really dumb asking LOL. So, here is my opportunity! 

4 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

This is not a sarcastic question, but is the bolded technically possible for a MAC school? I've always wanted to ask as a possibility, but I felt I would look really dumb asking LOL. So, here is my opportunity! 

WMU, NIU, and almost Kent til they choked in the MAC-C(yikes) would say yes. Not as realistic in recent years with the AAC's success, but with their top schools going to the Big 12, we are back to a much more level playing field in the G5 IMO. Of course its mostly going to depend on having multi-year double digit wins, wins over P5 teams, and not getting blown out from the top tier teams..which isn't easy.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

You must be a blast at parties. 

By the way, it takes two to tango. Instead of taking shots at the Athletic Department (for faults of previous administrations, not this current one) for making the hire of the decade(s), maybe thank Joe Moorhead for believing in Akron and wanting to be at Akron enough to take nearly a 50% pay cut.

House of LaRose must have got the Beer contract back.  They mentioned him & Matt Kaulig.  They could have bought him a house.  They said something about his son playing at Hoban.  He’s probably getting a nice free Catholic education.  I’m sure he is gonna be taken care of