NET Rankings 2021-2022

kreed5120

Brief post-regular season NET rankings.  Took a look at conference rankings by AVERAGE and MEDIAN NET rankings.  The MAC comes in at 20th (of 32) in Average NET, and 25th of 32 in MEDIAN Net, reflecting how considerably bottom-heavy the conference is.  All of the P5 teams have average AND median NET rankings that are sub-100.  I do believe the NCAA finally has a satisfactory metric now to justify exclusions of 99% of Mid-Major teams that may deserve an at-large bid.

image.png.dd4630b865991fa58e6a2a7faa807a3c.pngimage.png.a5e998548b31dff4f49f930d94f9750f.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Brief post-regular season NET rankings.  Took a look at conference rankings by AVERAGE and MEDIAN NET rankings.  The MAC comes in at 20th (of 32) in Average NET, and 25th of 32 in MEDIAN Net, reflecting how considerably bottom-heavy the conference is.  All of the P5 teams have average AND median NET rankings that are sub-100.  I do believe the NCAA finally has a satisfactory metric now to justify exclusions of 99% of Mid-Major teams that may deserve an at-large bid.

image.png.dd4630b865991fa58e6a2a7faa807a3c.pngimage.png.a5e998548b31dff4f49f930d94f9750f.png

How much the MAC has fallen is insane. The 2-3 years prior to covid the MAC was hovering around 10-12 range. Now over half the league is those same cupcakes that we complained about scheduling for home OOC games...

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

How much the MAC has fallen is insane. The 2-3 years prior to covid the MAC was hovering around 10-12 range. Now over half the league is those same cupcakes that we complained about scheduling for home OOC games...

This is why not scheduling those cupcakes OOC is such a big deal. 

How much of this is the West being exposed by having to play the East teams more with no divisions? 

• Like 1

The MAC office needs to step in and talk to the members about scheduling out of conference.

Maybe the MAC needs to pair up with a similar conference or few similar conferences for a scheduling arrangement or “conference challenge” type thing.

The Zips seem to do well with the neutral floor tournaments they get into but also seem to play a lot of teams in the bottom of Division 1 (this year I do like that they got games at Ohio State and Wright State)... I am not saying I want them to schedule an impossible gauntlet, just instead of teams ranked 335 out of 358, why not teams ranked 260 and more home and home contracts that go for 2-4 years?

This is also exactly why they need to bring back a Bracketbusters type of event. 

Edited by GJGood
  • Like 6

On 3/8/2022 at 6:19 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This is why not scheduling those cupcakes OOC is such a big deal. 

How much of this is the West being exposed by having to play the East teams more with no divisions? 

They're only playing the East teams 2-3 more times. The West teams have just decided to quit funding their basketball programs. Bates was making like 120k before he was fired. That's about half the amount of money Horizon league teams pay their coaches. You get what you pay for.

Edit: The MAC West teams use to be good enough that they could pad their win totals beating cupcakes OOC. Now those teams are the cupcakes.

Edited by kreed5120

On 3/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, GJGood said:

The MAC office needs to step in and talk to the members about scheduling out of conference.

Maybe the MAC needs to pair up with a similar conference or few similar conferences for a scheduling arrangement or “conference challenge” type thing.

The Zips seem to do well with the neutral floor tournaments they get into but also seem to play a lot of teams in the bottom of Division 1 (this year I do like that they got games at Ohio State and Wright State)... I am not saying I want them to schedule an impossible gauntlet, just instead of teams ranked 335 out of 358, why not teams ranked 260 and more home and home contracts that go for 2-4 years?

This is also exactly why they need to bring back a Bracketbusters type of event. 

Given how far the MAC has fallen that would be the OVC or Summit based off the numbers @RowdyZip presented. That's still going to be a lot of garbage opponents.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:53 AM, kreed5120 said:

Given how far the MAC has fallen that would be the OVC or Summit based off the numbers @RowdyZip presented. That's still going to be a lot of garbage opponents.

I don’t disagree if you only use this year’s numbers. I actually think the MAC would be well served with a challenge against the CAA or Sun Belt and even the MAAC