Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, bigjim said:

I will stay football focused.  I will let the skirt wearers worry about the uniforms and logos. 

Seriously? "Skirt wearers"? 

I don't care how old you are. What a completely ignorant and unnecessary remark.  I am not sure if you are calling the guys who work in design girls, or just trying to be patronizing towards women, but in either case, inappropriate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

For the record, I do like the Script Akron.  But not as our primary logo.

I love the Z as our primary logo.  It's unique and cool.  The kids love it (actually very important).

My second favorite mark is the Zippy which I'm using as my avatar.  Terribly underused on our uniforms, IMHO.

I also like the Fear the Roo head we sometimes use.  (The one where you only see the top of Zippy's head & he's looking right at you.)

I have never liked the A-Roo head.  IMO, it's busy, difficult to even tell what it's supposed to be (especially from any distance) and makes Zippy look like a donkey 😂

I am totally in love with the Z as our primary logo. Looks great on a helmut. I asked Guthrie about it and he said it was not his preferred. He wants to design something new on the word "Akron". I still like the Z and told him so. My second is the Fear the Roo logo. It and the Z are so unique they are hard to beat in my mind.  Let's keep the pressure on for a change. Hate the script Akron.

A-Roo is always a nostalgic logo. I remember a number of UA admins back in the day referring to it as the “rat head” but it was our rat head! As much as I associate it with the helmets of the era of a MAC title, we had those helmet decals all through the Ianello years so I also associate it with the death of Akron football. The Z represents a time of change and “moving on” if you will. The potato bowl uniform may be my favorite Akron has ever worn, either that or what we wore at Oklahoma. 

Script Akron? I loved it as a basketball logo. Football? I associate it with 0-12, 1-5, 2-10. And it’s just not flashy in any way. I’ve heard that they’re working on something different, hoping it’s true. 

From reading all of the posts in this thread I can see one problem-  there have been too many damn logos.  The school needs to pick something and stick with it for a little while.  Part of branding is recognition and that's lost when you are always switching things up.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Seriously? "Skirt wearers"? 

I don't care how old you are. What a completely ignorant and unnecessary remark.  I am not sure if you are calling the guys who work in design girls, or just trying to be patronizing towards women, but in either case, inappropriate.

Lighten up Francis, gee-wizz

Opinions are like assholes, of course, so it's a matter of taste. All I can say as someone that doesn't get to see UA very often that when I saw the script "Akron", I instantly liked it.  There's only a few schools that have that and the name fits it well.  But, as I said, everyone's got one... just so glad for this hire

• Like 1

The main reason I brought this up is because I feel like we are making a fresh start.  I would like to get as far away from the past 3 years as possible.  Now is as good a time to rebrand as any.  IMHO.  This does not take away for enthusiasm for the hiring of Coach Moorhead.  Relax

• Like 1

14 hours ago, a-zip said:

The main reason I brought this up is because I feel like we are making a fresh start.  I would like to get as far away from the past 3 years as possible.  Now is as good a time to rebrand as any.  IMHO.  This does not take away for enthusiasm for the hiring of Coach Moorhead.  Relax

That's a really good point.  I hadn't thought about it that way.  This does seem like a time to focus on the more traditional aspects of the program.  

I think it's good to have at least one logo with the name of the school/city spelled out... that's the best branding/marketing aspect. As for uniforms, I would just use it on the chest where it can be large enough and not cram it onto helmets and in media/scorebugs where it's hard on the eyeballs.

• Like 1

I gotta be honest, I really like the current uniforms. I really don't mind the script Akron on the helmet, I think it adds a level of classiness and it looks clean. Just my opinion. Now, I do like the pic of those white helmets with the gold 'roo, so I would be in favor of that. The "Z" itself is cool, but I'd rather that be elsewhere and not on the Helmet as main logo. The "Z" would look nice somewhere in the endzones or so, maybe? Just thinking out loud. 

But yeah, unpopular opinion here lol. 

15 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I gotta be honest, I really like the current uniforms. I really don't mind the script Akron on the helmet, I think it adds a level of classiness and it looks clean. Just my opinion. Now, I do like the pic of those white helmets with the gold 'roo, so I would be in favor of that. The "Z" itself is cool, but I'd rather that be elsewhere and not on the Helmet as main logo. The "Z" would look nice somewhere in the endzones or so, maybe? Just thinking out loud. 

But yeah, unpopular opinion here lol. 

I really like the Z (and young people like it too, can't over emphasize the importance of that), but I also like Script Akron and I agree it's classy.  I mainly wish we'd mix our uniforms up again with our various combos: helmet (gold, white, blue), jerseys (white & blue), pants (gold, white & blue).  For the last handful of years we had the best looking uniforms in all of football.  Abysmal decision to run that off the rails.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

This thread needs a poll. 

@a-zip this is your topic. I don't think you can edit a poll into this thread.

If you started another thread with a poll, I could merge this one into it. 

Funny, I tried to do a poll after I started this.  It wouldn't work, now I understand.

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

This thread needs a poll. 

@a-zip this is your topic. I don't think you can edit a poll into this thread.

If you started another thread with a poll, I could merge this one into it. 

Ok, I started it.  Thanks.  Hope I did it correctly.  Feel free to edit it if you are able.

Edited by a-zip
add content