Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Between these 2 options, I'd go for script Akron.

Additionally, I don't believe in needing to change the uniforms or logo to distance ourselves from the past. The logo did not cause loses. The logo did not cause stupid decisions from the coaches on the sidelines. The logo did not handle recruiting. The Browns did this a few years ago to "start over" and to get away from all of the losing, so they went with new uniforms. Then they kept losing and are now winning (well, kind of...) in their now new uniforms....which are their old uniforms before the change in 2016 haha. All it took was the right coach and non-crappy players.

I'm not attacking your opinion to do so, no worries. But in my opinion, the logo has nothing to do with the new era coming in. We don't need to change the logo/uniforms to get a fresh start. We need a new coach, who is smart, and decisions to help us win, along with worthwhile players. 

As a graphic designer it drives me crazy and yes, I probably care more about this stuff than the casual fan. 

The issue I have is that the Akron wordmark isn't a logo. It's a stock Nike font from their Uniform Builder site using their generic "Script" font. I'm assuming whoever was in charge of ordering the basketball uniforms a few years ago, went to that site and picked that font for the jerseys.

This is perfectly okay and it happens all the time. 

Some examples:

20180316_ajw_ah2_123_23386493-e152138515

5be63dbec2a11.image.jpg?resize=400,267

w640xh480_GettyImages-1357567852.jpg?ts=

Unless you're Ohio State, Oregon, Syracuse, etc. You order basketball uniforms from a specific list of templates. The athletic budget for smaller schools can't afford to have custom uniforms designed and honestly Nike isn't really worried about what Akron, BG and Toledo are wearing.

The issue is that someone important liked it so much they wanted to make it the official logo of a D1 school. Basically the equivalent of going into Microsoft word, picking a clipart image and using it as an official logo. Something that's done by lower level High Schools. 

The full kangaroo and Z logos looked awesome on the helmets and hope Miller and Guthrie take note. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, akzipper said:

As a graphic designer it drives me crazy and yes, I probably care more about this stuff than the casual fan. 

Yes, as designers, we do care more about this stuff than the casual fan. But, we also know what works and what doesn't. The Z works. The script doesn't. The Z is simple, bold and instantly recognizable. Everything we designers strive for in a logo.

You hit the nail on the head with your comments about the script Akron. Extremely generic. That's fine if you want to be middle-of-the-road, but we want more. 

Edited by 3rd&twenty
  • Like 2

• Dr Z changed the title to Sports Teams Primary Logo
37 minutes ago, akzipper said:

The issue I have is that the Akron wordmark isn't a logo. It's a stock Nike font from their Uniform Builder site using their generic "Script" font. I'm assuming whoever was in charge of ordering the basketball uniforms a few years ago, went to that site and picked that font for the jerseys.

Some examples:

Unless you're Ohio State, Oregon, Syracuse, etc. You order basketball uniforms from a specific list of templates. The athletic budget for smaller schools can't afford to have custom uniforms designed and honestly Nike isn't really worried about what Akron, BG and Toledo are wearing.

The issue is that someone important liked it so much they wanted to make it the official logo of a D1 school. Basically the equivalent of going into Microsoft word, picking a clipart image and using it as an official logo. Something that's done by lower level High Schools. 

The full kangaroo and Z logos looked awesome on the helmets and hope Miller and Guthrie take note. 

We’ll said. Bravo.

• Like 1

• Dr Z changed the title to Zips Primary Logo

The first time a friend saw the Z logo on the JAR floor, he commented to me “oh, so they used Northwestern’s logo and rotated it” I have a hard time not seeing that now. It’s slowly grown on me over the years, but I give it a C- at best. 

43 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

The first time a friend saw the Z logo on the JAR floor, he commented to me “oh, so they used Northwestern’s logo and rotated it” I have a hard time not seeing that now. It’s slowly grown on me over the years, but I give it a C- at best. 

I always thought it was cool because regardless of what side of the arena you sit on it always reads the same. Unless of course you're behind the baskets, the Z is never upside down. The letter N has the same effect. 

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The most shocking thing about this poll is that someone actually voted for the script logo

I would have voted Roo over Z if it was there, i love the Roo on side of helmet, it’s definitely unique , not as crazy for fear the Roo, special occasions only

C3C9205F-A3DA-4E9B-B601-975EB17CB889.jpeg

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I would have voted Roo over Z if it was there, i love the Roo on side of helmet, it’s definitely unique , not as crazy for fear the Roo, special occasions only

C3C9205F-A3DA-4E9B-B601-975EB17CB889.jpeg

I don't mind the Roo. I like the Z better, but can see why others would like it. The script Akron is just hideous 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akzipper said:

Some examples:

100% AGREE.  It was a half as job picking from stock script and stock stripes and stock logos, just like everything else they did. That is why we are a joke today.

This is "all in" time.  The stars have aligned for us again.  We have a beautiful stadium that needs to be filled.  The potential is there.  We need to attract fans, which will in turn attract players.  Kids love cool looking gear, fans like cool looking gear.  The script Akron a  

Merchandising revenue for colleges is so important....ever watch the documentary on the Fab5 and how much money they made for the University of Michigan?  It is insane.  

To ignore what great marketing and merchandising for UA could mean is naive.

And also, this is now real   College Merchandizing about to explode

Talking about logos seems to tweek some people on here.  Let's face it UA athletics needs a total OVERHAUL.  The pundits praise the hire but at the same time take shots at the program.  We need to distance ourselves from that and create a new identity and brand.

If crap like this didn't matter, there would be no need for a marketing team.  If you don't think this matters, hell we should save some salaries in our marketing and just choose boxes from the Nike catalog.

I still have my Z lapel pin from our visit to Akron in 2017.  Need to pick a game next year and wear it that week.

For the record, the scary Roo eyes is cool.  Not good for a primary logo, but awesome as a special treat for fans.

image.png.647ec65103a1d06128d6730e8f35db40.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cykron said:

I still have my Z lapel pin from our visit to Akron in 2017.  Need to pick a game next year and wear it that week.

For the record, the scary Roo eyes is cool.  Not good for a primary logo, but awesome as a special treat for fans.

image.png.647ec65103a1d06128d6730e8f35db40.png

Maybe not a primary logo, but a blue outlined silhouette on the sides of a gold helmet may look pretty snazzy. Again, thinking out loud. 

If they went with the white helmets and gold 'roo pictured above, that would be phenomenal. 

20 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Maybe not a primary logo, but a blue outlined silhouette on the sides of a gold helmet may look pretty snazzy. Again, thinking out loud. 

If they went with the white helmets and gold 'roo pictured above, that would be phenomenal. 

So many options.  The last few years I don't believe we ever wore the exact same uniform combination twice in a year.  It was awesome.  

Then this year our uniforms were nice, but pretty generic.  I MUCH preferred the Adidas.  But there's no reason we still can't mix things up with the Nike's, is there?  What happened to our blue and white helmets?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

1 minute ago, Blue & Gold said:

So many options.  The last few years I don't believe we ever wore the exact same uniform combination twice in a year.  It was awesome.  

Then this year our uniforms were nice, but pretty generic.  I MUCH preferred the Adidas.  But there's no reason we still can't mix things up with the Nike's, is there?  What happened to our blue and white helmets?

Although generic, I really like the uniforms. "Clean" is the word I use. That's my style, at least. However, I agree, they can still get creative and switch it up a bit, more color combos and a different helmet could go a long way.

Also, off topic a bit, but I wish they would do something with the field a bit. They didn't paint it this season, so a fresh coat would be nice on the center logo and endzones. And they can switch that up too. Why not? I like the center logo, but it would be cool for a different design or something in endzone. In any event, it looked really worn even for the first home game. But perhaps I'm just being nitpicky haha.