Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's a nice looking helmet.

The main issue some on here (especially the graphics design guys) have with it is that it is using a stock Nike font, so any team (middle school or high school) could pull off the same look.

I love the Z, but I agree, this is a classy look.

Interesting enough, UCF had script helmets this year that I thought looked nice because it was more refined and they were able fit a sword into the design. 

E-38QaRVcBQur6t?format=jpg&name=large

But it turns out they actually ripped it off from a high school team (Hickory Christian Academy), made a few tweaks and passed it off as their own.

U4anrKT.png

So I guess it could be worse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Interesting enough, UCF had script helmets this year that I thought looked nice because it was more refined and they were able fit a sword into the design. 

E-38QaRVcBQur6t?format=jpg&name=large

But it turns out they actually ripped it off from a high school team (Hickory Christian Academy), made a few tweaks and passed it off as their own.

U4anrKT.png

So I guess it could be worse.

Maybe we can incorporate the turnover pencil instead of a sword.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just don't know why we wouldn't want to be unique AND get away from the last 3 years of script embarrassment.

Fresh start!  Rebrand! It has already been created so no effort needed.  

We've got Rooheads on the football field, "Z" on the basketball court, script Akron on football helmets, "Z" on the Gozips website, etc.  Consistency and repetition drives branding.

The "Z" is cool and I can't think of another school that could use it.  

Like the rest of you I am more interested in Ws though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He get's it!!  Update from AD Guthrie.

Specific to our plans to ensure our brand and spirit logos are generating energy and excitement for our program, I'm pleased to share we've kicked off this initiative. Our goal is to center on a consistent, aligned identity across all platforms, channels, and facilities including uniforms/practice gear, digital/social, game presentation, fan experience/eCommerce etc. Our intent is to reimagine a comprehensive identity that is connected, not fragmented; modern and unique, but aligned with the University as a whole; considers the tradition of our program, but ignites a fresh outlook on Akron Athletics and drives engagement with Akron students, fans, and the community. 

• 2 weeks later...

This pic of one of our commits got me thinking.....what about starting a campaign within the community to pick the primary logo for UA's sports team.  In this pic Coach JoMo has script, Dijon has Z, the other coach has the FTRoo 😠.

Through the media, present some awesome logos, let the community create some too.  If someone creates the winner, give them some $$.

Create an event!

Have a reveal on a specific date similar to what the WFT is doing on 2/2/22 WFT Reveal.

Build excitement around our new coach, new team, new identity!

You now have buy in from the community!  

FJWQymvXMAcMYeE.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

This pic of one of our commits got me thinking.....what about starting a campaign within the community to pick the primary logo for UA's sports team.  In this pic Coach JoMo has script, Dijon has Z, the other coach has the FTRoo 😠.

Through the media, present some awesome logos, let the community create some too.  If someone creates the winner, give them some $$.

Create an event!

Have a reveal on a specific date similar to what the WFT is doing on 2/2/22 WFT Reveal.

Build excitement around our new coach, new team, new identity!

You now have buy in from the community!  

FJWQymvXMAcMYeE.jpeg

There is going to he a committee formed to decide what our branding should look like. It will consist of a mixture of UA staff, long time season ticket holders and other marketing experts. Everything is on the table.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs down 1

I never realized how bad the Script Akron was until basketball season. When someone is up for a foul shot on TV, the camera shows the player wearing a script Akron on the jersey, their stat line below has the script Akron, then below that on the left is the script Akron logo, then immediately to the right it says "AKRON" next to the score.

Holy overload of script Akron!!

We have such a unique mascot, why that isn't displayed much at all is beyond me. I'm beating a dead horse, and it looks like change is upon us, but I wanted to mention this as it dawned on me watching basketball games. 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Are they working on designing a new logo?

This is what I've been told by athletics admin. I'm concerned because so often, brand new logos can be disappointing. Plus, everyone's gear will be outdated AGAIN. I like that social media accounts have been using the Fear The Roo head, hopefully that becomes the secondary logo. Should be interesting to see how this shapes out. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

There is going to he a committee formed to decide what our branding should look like. It will consist of a mixture of UA staff, long time season ticket holders and other marketing experts. Everything is on the table.

Almost 70% like the Z on here, pretty strong.  I hope they are watching ZN.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

This is what I've been told by athletics admin. I'm concerned because so often, brand new logos can be disappointing. Plus, everyone's gear will be outdated AGAIN. I like that social media accounts have been using the Fear The Roo head, hopefully that becomes the secondary logo. Should be interesting to see how this shapes out. 

This is good to hear. But also a bit concerning, because like you said, new logos/branding can sometimes be disappointing. When Charles Guthrie was at Green Bay, they did a rebrand as well and it's pretty underwhelming. 

GB_Athletics_LogoSheet2.jpg

It just depends on how unified the athletic department and school are in their vision and how much money they are willing to put forward to make sure it's done right. Decide what the main logo should be (A or Z), a secondary kangaroo logo, wordmarks, fonts and color pallet. No more of teams wearing weird black and silver jerseys. Stick to our traditional school colors and be consistent across all sports. 

The current logo package (minus the script Akron) was done by Joe Bosack & Co. Which IMO is the best sports branding agency in the country. They should be Mr Guthrie's first call.

15 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

I was part of the Student Focus Group who helped pick the MyAkron layout...do you know if they will market-test the strategies with students to see their response?

16 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

Anyone Remember the Browns "rebranding"? 

image.thumb.png.fe4673c06022895eb15c411bb6fb744e.png

That was pretty hilarious.  They made such a big deal about it a few weeks prior.

But shades of color do actually make a big difference.  I LOVE the shades of blue & gold we currently use.  I really hope they don't mess with those.

• Like 1