Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

That was pretty hilarious.  They made such a big deal about it a few weeks prior.

But shades of color do actually make a big difference.  I LOVE the shades of blue & gold we currently use.  I really hope they don't mess with those.

I'm sort of ambivalent on this. They've been our colors for a while, so I don't like change for the sake of change. But I feel like tons of school have our colors

13 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'm sort of ambivalent on this. They've been our colors for a while, so I don't like change for the sake of change. But I feel like tons of school have our colors

The biggest reason we changed was - our colors were essentially the same as Kent. I think it was a good move.

in be shocked if we changed today’s colors. I think they’re here to stay. 

The bright yellow era seemed to just be a fad that fit well with the 90s. Brighter colors, "brush" fonts, etc. Similar to how the Rams and Pitt switched to metallic gold during the early 2000s, but in reverse. Eventually most teams revert back to their original colors.

Since the Zips used metallic gold for most of their existence, outside of 1995-2001, I'd say our current colors are here to stay. 

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Surprisingly there aren't as many schools that share our colors. In FBS I can only think of Notre Dame, Navy and FIU. In all D1 there's only about 8-10 schools. When looking at hundreds of schools, only matching a handful is actually pretty unique. There are a TON of blue/yellow schools though. 

The bright yellow era seemed to just be a fad that fit well with the 90s. Brighter colors, "brush" fonts, etc. Similar to how the Rams and Pitt switched to metallic gold during the early 2000s, but in reverse. Eventually most teams revert back to their original colors.

Since the Zips used metallic gold for most of their existence, outside of 1995-2001, I'd say our current colors are here to stay. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Honestly who cares? It'd be a huge turnoff to me if they went hardcore Blue and Gold change. It'd be cringeworthy to me because it boils down to "who cares". Seriously, who cares if it's Blue 7875 vs Blue 188495? Nobody. Literally Nobody cares. Any means testing that says it matters, or writes out some explanation for why Blue 7875 is "easy on the eyes, attracts the essence of...blah blah blah" is money wasted.

15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

That was pretty hilarious.  They made such a big deal about it a few weeks prior.

But shades of color do actually make a big difference.  I LOVE the shades of blue & gold we currently use.  I really hope they don't mess with those.

"mArKeTiNg" 🙄 and "nO pReSs Is BaD pReSs" ... I do love our current Blue & Gold as well ... but I'm also the weird who likes ALL of our Logos from ARoo, Kangaroo and Fear The Roo to the Z and Block AKRON. Why can't they ALL be a feature somewhere 😢

4 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

Honestly who cares? It'd be a huge turnoff to me if they went hardcore Blue and Gold change. It'd be cringeworthy to me because it boils down to "who cares". Seriously, who cares if it's Blue 7875 vs Blue 188495? Nobody. Literally Nobody cares. Any means testing that says it matters, or writes out some explanation for why Blue 7875 is "easy on the eyes, attracts the essence of...blah blah blah" is money wasted.

I actually do. Lol.  I love the shade of blue & the shade of gold we presently use.  There are so many slight variations but we've really hit the nail on the head here, as far as I'm concerned.

"mArKeTiNg" 🙄 and "nO pReSs Is BaD pReSs" ... I do love our current Blue & Gold as well ... but I'm also the weird who likes ALL of our Logos from ARoo, Kangaroo and Fear The Roo to the Z and Block AKRON. Why can't they ALL be a feature somewhere 😢

I also like all of our marks & variety is the spice of life.

Except the A-Roo head.  I've never liked that thing. 😂

• Like 1

Posting on a message board discussion on page 6 of said discussion that you don't care is a weird flex but okay

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If they win in it, I could adjust to something as bland as Penn State or as obnoxious as Oregon. 

i actually like what Oregon does with their Unis. Its unique, keeps people interested and talking about it. yes some have been terrible but the majority have been pretty solid. i wouldnt mind at all if we switched up the styling weekly or every couple weeks. Again, the old saying look good, feel good, play good has more merit than youd think. As for Penn State, they will never change. their brand is synonymous with the white helmet and the blue strip and blue face mask. its a classic clean look and not many schools have the tradition to pull that look off. All that being said i understand your point of it doesnt matter what they wear to you as long as the win in them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zips4life20 said:

i actually like what Oregon does with their Unis. Its unique, keeps people interested and talking about it. yes some have been terrible but the majority have been pretty solid. i wouldnt mind at all if we switched up the styling weekly or every couple weeks. Again, the old saying look good, feel good, play good has more merit than youd think. As for Penn State, they will never change. their brand is synonymous with the white helmet and the blue strip and blue face mask. its a classic clean look and not many schools have the tradition to pull that look off. All that being said i understand your point of it doesnt matter what they wear to you as long as the win in them. 

I love what Oregon does with their uni's.  

Previously I mentioned that variety is the spice of life & I miss our beautiful uniform combinations we had over the last handful of years.  I love the gold helmets, but what happened to the blue helmets & the white helmets?  I loved the full navy blue look - helmet, jersey, pants, and I also loved the full white look - helmet, jersey, pants.  Blue helmet & jersey w/ gold pants also looks great.

Why'd we get rid of the combinations?  Are we using Nike helmets now?  Maybe we are required to use Nike helmets & we only have gold?  Idk.  But I sincerely thought we had the best looking uniform combinations in all of football the last few years.

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I love what Oregon does with their uni's.  

Previously I mentioned that variety is the spice of life & I miss our beautiful uniform combinations we had over the last handful of years.  I love the gold helmets, but what happened to the blue helmets & the white helmets?  I loved the full navy blue look - helmet, jersey, pants, and I also loved the full white look - helmet, jersey, pants.  Blue helmet & jersey w/ gold pants also looks great.

Why'd we get rid of the combinations?  Are we using Nike helmets now?  Maybe we are required to use Nike helmets & we only have gold?  Idk.  But I sincerely thought we had the best looking uniform combinations in all of football the last few years.

i agree. i wonder if the boring, terrible brand of football we've endured over the last few seasons rolled over into the unis as well. youd think if we couldnt play well on saturdays, tuesdays, thursdays, whenever we played, wed at least look good playing bad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

"Obnoxious" was a little strong.  LOL.  My intention was to point out the disparity in unis from the blandness of Penn State to the colorful nature of Oregon.

Maryland, with its connection to Under Armor, has also been pretty creative. 

I think you had it right the first time.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:29 AM, zippy5 said:

Posting on a message board discussion on page 6 of said discussion that you don't care is a weird flex but okay

Posting on page six, that another member doesn't care is a strange flex, is itself a strange flex. Kinda strange that you would randomly pick out this comment...but okay.  Must be a slow day in your world.

What I was saying is that if that's the type of "rebranding" we're talking about, no thanks. I'm pointing out the obvious that I don't think changing colors is really relevant. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:24 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Me, too. I still remember my WTF? moment when Lee Owen's team ran out in the blue and yellow uniforms (although yellow was used in the basketball unis for a long time). I was always annoyed when KD's

teams didn't even have a blue and gold uniform.

• Like 2

The colors need to be the colors they are now, although I have to admit I did kind of like the gold chrome football helmets that were worn for a couple of games under Bowden. I thought that look would draw some more eyes to the program.

I am not a fan of script Akron because not only does it seem to plain but being from central part of the state  I see this script Ohio stuff all the time and I want my alma mater to be more unique.

As far as the Z logo goes, it is OK and certainly is unique to us. I guess I am just a little old school in one way though. I have always liked the idea of representing Akron or the mascot more than just the nickname.... for example, if a team name is the Canton Leopards I could see a letter C or a Leopard logo but really am not in favor of the logo being the letter L.
The thing I liked about the A-Roo most was it used the school name letter to create the mascot image. I thought that was both creative and unique to us while also maintaining my old school ideals without being too outdated.

I am good with the Z though, just count me as not a script Akron fan.

Biggest thing to me is keep the traditional Akron colors and font. 

• Like 2