Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:29 PM, ewbrooman1 said:

Me, too. I still remember my WTF? moment when Lee Owen's team ran out in the blue and yellow uniforms (although yellow was used in the basketball unis for a long time). I was always annoyed when KD's

teams didn't even have a blue and gold uniform.

I remember seeing Lee surprisingly reveal our new colors/helmet on a preseason coach's show with Joe Dunn.  I was so pissed!!!  Lol

I remember Lee saying something along the lines of they wanted to brighten the uniforms up and that they looked a lot the Green Bay Packers uniforms. 🤢🤮😭😭

Nothing against the Packers, but the traditional old gold & navy blue is beautiful and as classy as classy can be.  The yellow was so ugly.

Edited by Blue & Gold

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

That's like compromising, and taking arsenic over cyanide. 

Fun old video, though. I'm sure I was there. 🍻

I loved the video too! I had many a great day or night at the bowl. BTW I still love the stylized "Zips" at center field. It was a classic to me. No one else had that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

BTW I still love the stylized "Zips" at center field.

I hated it. Back then, they painted the astroturf and it accumulated on the surface like sandpaper. If you fell on your exposed skin, it left an abrasion mark like baseball players get when they slide. The end zones were the same way. 

On 1/26/2022 at 12:49 PM, ziptrumpet87 said:

Or compromise and do script ZIPS

I was literally 1 year old when this was filmed. Thanks for sharing!

I have to say though I can see why this would have died/gone out of fashion. It's clearly ripping off Script OHIO, and it honestly doesn't look that great. Cursive Z has always looked like poop.

Looks like we are getting new turf

https://gozips.com/news/2022/2/1/general-university-of-akron-donors-deliver-big-boost-for-upgrades-to-athletics-facilities.aspx

Facilities Maintenance and Upgrades: The bulk of the $4.7 million commitment announced today will contribute to a new practice facility for men's and women's basketball; complete renovation of the outdoor track and field complex, a new dryland facility for the swimming and diving program, and a new turf surface for InfoCision Stadium – Summa Field. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

Looks like we are getting new turf

https://gozips.com/news/2022/2/1/general-university-of-akron-donors-deliver-big-boost-for-upgrades-to-athletics-facilities.aspx

Facilities Maintenance and Upgrades: The bulk of the $4.7 million commitment announced today will contribute to a new practice facility for men's and women's basketball; complete renovation of the outdoor track and field complex, a new dryland facility for the swimming and diving program, and a new turf surface for InfoCision Stadium – Summa Field. 

Good! The current turf has seen much better days....

Hopefully they do a handful of designs and let fans pick. New turf is like a 10 year commitment. Need to make sure it's done right. My choice would be Z at midfield and Akron / Zips in either endzone. 

Practice facility for the basketball has me intrigued as well. Can't imagine it's going to be anything substantial with only $4 million, but who knows. 

41 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Hopefully they do a handful of designs and let fans pick. New turf is like a 10 year commitment. Need to make sure it's done right. My choice would be Z at midfield and Akron / Zips in either endzone. 

Practice facility for the basketball has me intrigued as well. Can't imagine it's going to be anything substantial with only $4 million, but who knows. 

They are going to convert some underused space at the rec center to a full size court and 2 half court areas. There will be some limited locker areas and a state of the art video recording system for instantaneous playback. An entrance with access from Carroll street.

• Like 4

GT's column concerning the 4.7M athletics fundraising effort states the new turf at InfoCision is to be completed by May.  I assume they'll want our primary (new?) logo at the 50, so we should probably be hearing some announcement pretty soon.  I'd assume they can't wait too much longer to order the new turf (complete w/ chosen logo at the 50) if they hope to have it installed by May.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

GT's column concerning the 4.7M athletics fundraising effort states the new turf at InfoCision is to be completed by May.  I assume they'll want our primary (new?) logo at the 50, so we should probably be hearing some announcement pretty soon.  I'd assume they can't wait too much longer to order the new turf (complete w/ chosen logo at the 50) if they hope to have it installed by May.

That does not seem accurate. They are going to have a full lacrosse season in the stadium and spring ball goes until the end of April this year. Perhaps they will start some time in May, but I have a hard time imagining it will be completed by May. I could be wrong, but I don’t see how that would make sense. 

23 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't expect a Primary Logo change until after the conclusion of the 2021-22 athletics schedule. 

I asked Guthrie about our logo change and he said he wanted a new logo in place before opening kickoff for football. Any new logo would be on our new field and in all Zip uni's for next year ('22-'23). If that is the case decisions will be made soon. Wait and see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

I asked Guthrie about our logo change and he said he wanted a new logo in place before opening kickoff for football. Any new logo would be on our new field and in all Zip uni's for next year ('22-'23). If that is the case decisions will be made soon. Wait and see.

I mentioned this before. If we want the new logo incorporated into the design of the new Info turf, they're going to have to make a decision very soon.

I hope it's classy & not too busy (like I think the A-Roo head is.)  Hope it looks good on a helmet as well as on a hoodie or polo.  

Crossing my fingers I'll like it. Can't wait to see it!

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I mentioned this before. If we want the new logo incorporated into the design of the new Info turf, they're going to have to make a decision very soon.

Not only this, but they should repaint the basketball court with it. Make it big. Own it. I took the photo below today. A logo can be both classy and large.PXL_20220219_180431012.thumb.jpg.68ac2ca3a62bb72e2dcc67866418cee0.jpg

• Like 1