Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm just hoping we have a better redesign than OSUcks.

There was a lot of hullabaloo about this prior to the announcement. Reminds me of the Browns - the Orange is Oranger. 

@GP1 I like the idea of making it big and owning it. Whatever they do, I hope it's simplistic, yet bold and strong. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

kinda like this?

Akron Z logo.png

I really like the "Z" logo. Before deciding, I would like to see something like that using "UA". It's the University of Akron, not Akron. Akron is a place. UofA is both a place and a thing. If UA doesn't look good or isn't as good, go with the Z.

Lastly, the colors are blue and gold. Not blue, gold and white. Go with the colors. Own them and use them.

• Like 1

Lastly, I don't want to see a silhouette of the state of Ohio behind it with a star showing where Akron is in the silhouette. It's cheap and lazy. We are not the Ohio Zips or Akron, Ohio Zips. We are the University of Akron Zips.

I hate to keep using Wake Forest as an example, but they do a great job marketing a school's athletic programs for a school not really known for athletics. Below is a silhouette I could live with if Akron could incorporate it into their marketing. They have this Deactown theme in their marketing and if you look at the bottom of the illustration, the silhouette is the skyline of Winston-Salem (where WF is located). If you are driving down a main street in W-S, you will see banners hanging with this theme and silhouette on every light pole. It's everywhere. 3-4 years ago, they mailed out season football tickets wrapped in a banner (2' x 3') you could hang in your yard with the silhouette and the words "I'm A Fan" on it. I don't know what they spend annually to do this around the city, but it has to be a lot. As I mentioned, the sports teams have to benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community of NE Ohio. Start with Akron and making the people of Akron feel part of the program by including the skyline of their city in advertisement. This really isn't difficult.

I don't know how invested they still are in the "Roo" theme, but Akron is not the Roos. They are the Zips. It's our name. Own it and use it.

images.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I don't know how invested they still are in the "Roo" theme, but Akron is not the Roos. They are the Zips. It's our name. Own it and use it.

images.jpg

I think the concensus on the branding committee is that the Roo has run it's course as a primary logo. It still might find a place as a amusing one off t-shirt use or on a beer mug. 

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

Lastly, I don't want to see a silhouette of the state of Ohio behind it with a star showing where Akron is in the silhouette. It's cheap and lazy. We are not the Ohio Zips or Akron, Ohio Zips. We are the University of Akron Zips.

I hate to keep using Wake Forest as an example, but they do a great job marketing a school's athletic programs for a school not really known for athletics. Below is a silhouette I could live with if Akron could incorporate it into their marketing. They have this Deactown theme in their marketing and if you look at the bottom of the illustration, the silhouette is the skyline of Winston-Salem (where WF is located). If you are driving down a main street in W-S, you will see banners hanging with this theme and silhouette on every light pole. It's everywhere. 3-4 years ago, they mailed out season football tickets wrapped in a banner (2' x 3') you could hang in your yard with the silhouette and the words "I'm A Fan" on it. I don't know what they spend annually to do this around the city, but it has to be a lot. As I mentioned, the sports teams have to benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community of NE Ohio. Start with Akron and making the people of Akron feel part of the program by including the skyline of their city in advertisement. This really isn't difficult.

images.jpg

I heard that the Wake marketing folks considered (and rejected) using a silhouette of the state of South Carolina with an arrow pointing north showing where Winston-Salem is.

15 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

I heard that the Wake marketing folks considered (and rejected) using a silhouette of the state of South Carolina with an arrow pointing north showing where Winston-Salem is.

Anything would be better than inviting people from Greensboro. 

On 2/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, GP1 said:

I mean I always liked secondary usage of Ohio with AKRON on it. I really liked the "Beast Of The NORTHEAST" Kent vs. Akron thing they did awhile ago. Obviously not a primary logo...but still was a nice shakeup.

I did some thinking on this and I wouldn't be opposed if they keep with the 'Roo somewhere in a new logo. I like the newer "meaner" looking 'roo they have here and there, however, as a primary logo, they could perhaps do an even newer/meaner roo? The "A-Roo head" logo is kind of cool, but it would need an overhaul/more intimidating look. I do feel the old logo on the helmets during the Charlie Frye era was a bit much. 

I don't know, just thinking out loud here. Slow news in the world of Akron football, just trying to keep some discussions going lol. 

• Thumbs down 1

3 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

I don't know, just thinking out loud here. Slow news in the world of Akron football, just trying to keep some discussions going lol. 

Slow news maybe, but at least there is enough excitement and anticipation for football to still be talking about it during the "dead" period. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

No idea what it is, but Zips soccer tweeted this about 20 minutes ago 🧐🤔

Isn't it obvious?  It's going to be a logo for the soccer team that looks like every other soccer logo. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I can't yet see enough to make a judgement.  What do you like about what you can see?

Just a little bit of sarcasm my friend. All I saw in it was a chance to be a smart ass. Many times that comes easily for me.

• Like 2