Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm just asking for the heck of it. But has the university ever thought about using any type of logo (or incorporation of) of the product where they got their name from? Perhaps Goodyear owns that? (the zipper shoe, that is). Listen, not saying it would be a cool logo, but wasn't sure if the University ever used anything to help indicate to people what exactly a Zipper (now 'Zip') is. I'm just asking, surely NOT suggesting this is the way they should go for a logo. 

The original Zipper overshoe was a product of BF Goodrich. I think the university is reluctant to support the Zipper name because of the opportunity to it be misused which was the reason the name was shortened to Zips.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LAZipFan said:

What Russia is doing now precludes Akron using a standalone Z for the foreseeable future. 

You're right. We should cancel everyone and everything with a 'Z' in their name. 

It's a good thing Zion Williamson has basically already taken himself out of the NBA. Oh, I'm sorry, Ion Williamson. 

Let's Go Ips! 

#CancelTheZ

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

You're right. We should cancel everyone and everything with a 'Z' in their name. 

It's a good thing Zion Williamson has basically already taken himself out of the NBA. Oh, I'm sorry, Ion Williamson. 

Let's Go Ips! 

#CancelTheZ

In lieu of the Russian atrocities in Ukraine I think you have a good idea, but only for a limited time. For 30 days we should cancel the letter 'Z'. Beyond that I give it _ero chance of succeeding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

In lieu of the Russian atrocities in Ukraine I think you have a good idea, but only for a limited time. For 30 days we should cancel the letter 'Z'. Beyond that I give it _ero chance of succeeding.

Should be until the Russia invaders are out of Ukraine. May St. Javelin bless the people of Ukraine. May their aim be true; may their laser sights be forever calibrated. May the sunflower fields of Ukraine be plentiful.785242381_St.Javeline.thumb.png.5c561df5193d9fa2d642b10f1e9823b3.png

Ironically our school colors are basically the national colors of Ukraine.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So we get rid of the "Z." If Putin starts placing script Akron on his tanks, howitzers and goon squad T shirts, then what do we do?

I hate the script Akron logo so much I'd probably join the Ukrainian resistance just to fire RPGs at it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So we get rid of the "Z." If Putin starts placing script Akron on his tanks, howitzers and goon squad T shirts, then what do we do?

Back to the ARoo 😈

Because Russians aren't many enough to handle the Donkey Kangaroo merged with an A.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Haha 1

It would be ill-advised to promote the Z as primary logo at this juncture in history (I'm just waiting for  some dork on Twitter to come across our Z and try to call us out on it).  I don't think it will be canceled/scrubbed from all its currently existing usage in the near term. A block or script 'A' of some type doesn't really distinguish us from all of the other 'A' schools. And as noted, the roo head is not readily distinguishable from rats, donkeys, etc. however a full-body roo is very identifiable and unique to Akron at the FBS level. I believe we already one or two of those in the portfolio. 

neon zips.png

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

My point was just that I would hate for us to go through a re-brand and then proudly unveil what could end up being the new swastika... and have a welter of coverage about Akron just rolling out its new Z focused logo as Putin was leveling Kyiv, killing tens of thousands, and using Z as the symbol of their victory or whatever.  

We barely survived I-coach and the Scarphoon.  I sure as hell hope we don't bumble into an own goal like this.

It's not canceling the letter 'z' (eye roll)- it's having the common sense to realize that this disaster in the middle of Europe will be going on for years (unless Putin gets smoked by a pissed off oligarch) and it would be beyond madness to willing opt to use a logo that is the same as the Russians. I'm all for ditching the script Akron if you can convince Putin to use that instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAZipFan said:

My point was just that I would hate for us to go through a re-brand and then proudly unveil what could end up being the new swastika... and have a welter of coverage about Akron just rolling out its new Z focused logo as Putin was leveling Kyiv, killing tens of thousands, and using Z as the symbol of their victory or whatever.  

We barely survived I-coach and the Scarphoon.  I sure as hell hope we don't bumble into an own goal like this.

It's not canceling the letter 'z' (eye roll)- it's having the common sense to realize that this disaster in the middle of Europe will be going on for years (unless Putin gets smoked by a pissed off oligarch) and it would be beyond madness to willing opt to use a logo that is the same as the Russians. I'm all for ditching the script Akron if you can convince Putin to use that instead.

10 hours ago, a-zip said:

So the debate is if a f#%ing letter is offensive?  

Are you kidding me?  

The letter  "Z"   is now offensive!?

God forbid if a kangaroo does something horrible, we are screwed

This world has gone crazy!!

I was in Tibet where I saw the Swastika everywhere...because it's an ancient symbol that was co-opted by Hitler, who ya know...The Swastika in any use other than that very specific, ancient, buddhist/hindu tradition; is...well...ya know.

We're not saying the "Z" is offensive. We're pointing out that perhaps RIGHT NOW (like May 2022) would be a poor time to have a major, public, advertising announcement centered around branding the "Z", considering that Putin is genociding Ukrainians. It's not that the "Z" is offensive...it's that a couple of wingbat aggressive Russian apologists are using it as a symbol of legitimacy.

So giant-middle finger to them, and lets try to get them to co-opt the script akron instead. ;)

10 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Yes, -RIGHT NOW- a big press conference revealing a revamped "Z" would be tone deaf.  Wait on that a bit. But I like our Z the way it is and I don't see UA Athletics fiddling w/ the Z.  If I had to bet, I'd put my money on it likely being a new "A" logo.

Are you thinking similar to what baseball is using?