Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, TheZipCat said:

I was in Tibet where I saw the Swastika everywhere...because it's an ancient symbol that was co-opted by Hitler, who ya know...The Swastika in any use other than that very specific, ancient, buddhist/hindu tradition; is...well...ya know.

We're not saying the "Z" is offensive. We're pointing out that perhaps RIGHT NOW (like May 2022) would be a poor time to have a major, public, advertising announcement centered around branding the "Z", considering that Putin is genociding Ukrainians. It's not that the "Z" is offensive...it's that a couple of wingbat aggressive Russian apologists are using it as a symbol of legitimacy.

So giant-middle finger to them, and lets try to get them to co-opt the script akron instead. ;)

I understand but we already have a Z logo.  It's right in the middle of our basketball court.  No need for a major announcement, just keep what we have.  It is great looking.

There is such a thing as a Zip gun.  Should we reconsider our name entirely?

I am tired of all these teams having to re-brand re-name, recently The Redskins, The Indians.

What about the Chiefs they have a arrowhead for a logo and play at Arrowhead Stadium.  

What about the Cowboys.....hell cowboys killed Indians, how is that not offensive.  

Buccaneers and Pirates raped and pillaged.  

The Blackhawks name and logo are almost the same as the Redskins.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Are you thinking similar to what baseball is using?

Hmm.  I really have no idea.  Is that “A” that the baseball team is using the Nike stock “A”?  If so, then no. But I just think they’ll go with an “A”, or a “UA” of some sort. 

Maybe take some inspiration from the UnderArmor “UA”?  Idk.  

5 hours ago, a-zip said:

I understand but we already have a Z logo.  It's right in the middle of our basketball court.  No need for a major announcement, just keep what we have.  It is great looking.

There is such a thing as a Zip gun.  Should we reconsider our name entirely?

I am tired of all these teams having to re-brand re-name, recently The Redskins, The Indians.

What about the Chiefs they have a arrowhead for a logo and play at Arrowhead Stadium.  

What about the Cowboys.....hell cowboys killed Indians, how is that not offensive.  

Buccaneers and Pirates raped and pillaged.  

The Blackhawks name and logo are almost the same as the Redskins.

You're like taking what we're saying, and going to an absurd extreme. We're at like a 2, and you're taking it to a ten.

No one here was saying "let's do away with the Z". We're saying: lets avoid bringing a lot of attention to the fact right now at this VERY moment...LITERALLY March 2022. Let's not have a major announcement in the Akron Beacon Journal Right next to an article about how Putin shelled 5,000 civilians to death in Kharkiv. Like if athletics is planning to go with a major "Z" promotion. Sweet...let's maybe not go hardcore with the announcement in March 2022. 

It's really not that hard to understand.

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1

You're like taking what we're saying, and going to an absurd extreme. We're at like a 2, and you're taking it to a ten.

No one here was saying "let's do away with the Z". We're saying: lets avoid bringing a lot of attention to the fact right now at this VERY moment...LITERALLY March 2022. Let's not have a major announcement in the Akron Beacon Journal Right next to an article about how Putin shelled 5,000 civilians to death in Kharkiv. Like if athletics is planning to go with a major "Z" promotion. Sweet...let's maybe not go hardcore with the announcement in March 2022. 

It's really not that hard to understand.

It's called sarcasm buddy.  Relax.

A perfect example of what we were talking about from the Associated Press:

Asked about incidents in which the apartment doors of war critics were spray-painted with the letter “Z” — a sign used to mark Russian military vehicles in Ukraine that has been heavily promoted by the state — Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov described it as an “emotional” move by Putin’s supporters.

The campaign in support of the war saw Russian cities flooded with “Z” posters and vehicles emblazoned with it. School children were shown standing in groups in the shape of the letter or wearing clothes marked with a “Z.”

Take this in consideration that Putin had an "internal cleansing" of internal descent madman speech the other day...

1 hour ago, TheZipCat said:

A perfect example of what we were talking about from the Associated Press:

Take this in consideration that Putin had an "internal cleansing" of internal descent madman speech the other day...

I'm not trying to downplay war, but the Z was prominently displayed last night on the jumbotron and elsewhere for the basketball game. That means the arena, NCAA, etc., were all accomplices in promoting war propaganda.

Tired of this angle of the debate.

• Like 6

On 3/18/2022 at 6:38 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm not trying to downplay war, but the Z was prominently displayed last night on the jumbotron and elsewhere for the basketball game. That means the arena, NCAA, etc., were all accomplices in promoting war propaganda.

Tired of this angle of the debate.

I agree, watching OSU & Villanova with the  V on the shorts.  I’ve seen a lot of V’s on tanks so I guess Villanova needs to rebrand as well.  I think that kind of thinking is BS & feel the same way about the whole cancel culture

Edited by 94zipgrad

On 3/20/2022 at 3:28 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I agree, watching OSU & Villanova with the  V on the shorts.  I’ve seen a lot of V’s on tanks so I guess Villanova needs to rebrand as well.  I think that kind of thinking is BS & feel the same way about the whole cancel culture

Are we being deliberately dense? Seriously...serious question.

NOBODY was saying teams should rebrand or get rid of Logos. Stop being ridiculous. 

What we were saying is probably don't have a big article about the celebrating Z, released to giant fanfair, at the same time you have Z branded tanks genociding people in Mariupol. It's literally timing, not rebranding. Yeah no need to rebrand the V of Villanova...just don't go out of your way talking about the V while V tanks are genociding Kharkiv. This is like a mind numbingly easy, not controversial thing to understand.

Please stop being dense.

Edited by TheZipCat

1 hour ago, TheZipCat said:

NOBODY was saying teams should rebrand or get rid of Logos. Stop being ridiculous. 

What we were saying is probably don't have a big article about the celebrating Z, released to giant fanfair, at the same time you have Z branded tanks genociding people in Mariupol. It's literally timing, not rebranding. Yeah no need to rebrand the V of Villanova...just don't go out of your way talking about the V while V tanks are genociding Kharkiv. This is like a mind numbingly easy, not controversial thing to understand.

Please stop being dense.

Between the Z logo and potentially using Russian oil imports to fuel the travel for athletics, we're practically part of the war!

There's going to be an ESPN 30for30 someday about the nationwide March Madness bracket boycott of the Akron Zips over their Z logo. Millions picked UCLA because they were appalled by the Z. Rumor has it that's why the refs fouled Freeman out of the game - couldn't let Akron win. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Between the Z logo and potentially using Russian oil imports to fuel the travel for athletics, we're practically part of the war!

There's going to be an ESPN 30for30 someday about the nationwide March Madness bracket boycott of the Akron Zips over their Z logo. Millions picked UCLA because they were appalled by the Z. Rumor has it that's why the refs fouled Freeman out of the game - couldn't let Akron win. 

Hyperbolize much? Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself, as well as Akron grads. Apparently they didn't teach you this thing called critical thinking when you attended The University Of Akron.

You're really putting the "Hilltop" in the "Hilltop High".

Edited by TheZipCat
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheZipCat said:

Hyperbolize much? Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself, as well as Akron grads. Apparently they didn't teach you this thing called critical thinking when you attended The University Of Akron.

You're really putting the "Hilltop" in the "Hilltop High".

I never attended The University of Akron. Some of us were born with Blue & Gold blood. 

Please stop being dense.

Wow, my statement starts with agreeing with @Let'sGoZips94 I’m just saying get away from the stupidity of Russia attacking Ukraine to have anything to do with The University of Akron rebranding.  I believe by all the likes and statements zipnation agrees.  Have a nice day 😂

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 4:51 AM, TheZipCat said:

Please stop being dense.

for Zelenskyy!!!

Problem solved 😁   (more sarcasm for ya)

Edited by a-zip
added content
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zurich Insurance removes Z symbol after letter used to show support for Ukraine war

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/zurich-insurance-removes-z-symbol-after-letter-used-to-show-support-for-ukraine-war-2792461

German States Outlaw Display of Russia's 'Z' War Symbol

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/03/26/german-states-outlaw-display-of-russias-z-war-symbol-a77095

Lithuanian MPs want to outlaw Russian military Z symbol 

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/24/lithuanian-mps-want-to-outlaw-russian-military-z-symbol

Edited by zippy5

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Actions as meaningless as Freedom Fries. 

The war in Ukraine won't last forever. We'll be the Zips forever. Proceed with the Z logo. 

• Like 3