Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I like the Z logo. I think we should stick with it. I also think if we have a rebrand/unveil this would be bad timing and a bad look for us. That's all. Let this blow over first

I'm of the opinion that when things like this happen, the good guys need to take ownership of symbols and make clear statements. We shouldn't feel one bit guilty about who we are or how we present ourselves as long as we are grounded in decency.

For example.  "The University of Akron Athletic Department wants the world to know we stand in support of Ukraine. In no way should our new logo be confused or associated with the monstrous actions of the Russian government. We present the "Z" symbol in the name of peace loving people throughout the world and hope when the public sees our logo they take a moment and reflect on a peaceful future."

One of my favorite Don Draperisms is, "If you don't like what is being said, then change the conversation".

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

I'm of the opinion that when things like this happen, the good guys need to take ownership of symbols and make clear statements. We shouldn't feel one bit guilty about who we are or how we present ourselves as long as we are grounded in decency.

For example.  "The University of Akron Athletic Department wants the world to know we stand in support of Ukraine. In no way should our new logo be confused or associated with the monstrous actions of the Russian government. We present the "Z" symbol in the name of peace loving people throughout the world and hope when the public sees our logo they take a moment and reflect on a peaceful future."

One of my favorite Don Draperisms is, "If you don't like what is being said, then change the conversation".

I too have always relied on the kindness of strangers, so using the Z as our logo will probably be OK with most of the folks in Europe.

Did you know that before the rise of the Nazis in Germany the swastika was a symbol for good luck? Not at lot of people view it that way anymore.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I too have always relied on the kindness of strangers, so using the Z as our logo will probably be OK with most of the folks in Europe.

Did you know that before the rise of the Nazis in Germany the swastika was a symbol for good luck? Not at lot of people view it that way anymore.

The good guys just didn't take ownership quick enough. Maybe it all could have been avoided if we took that as our secondary logo and made a clear statement on our intent

17 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

Zippy should be reinvented along with the logo.  The "Barney" act alike mascot has to go.  Needs to be a bad ass Kangaroo that scream "Fear the Roo".  The happy go lucky zippy has no place in this new era.

Agreed!!

I've always liked what the Arkansas Razorbacks have done with theirs, for example. I really like the old school hog leaning against the letter "A" as a logo here and there. 

I don't think Akron should have it as a primary logo, but a mean looking Zippy leaning against an A or Z would be cool. Maybe? I like the Roo here and there, just want it to look mean if they are going to use it at all lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zippyroo said:

Zippy should be reinvented along with the logo.  The "Barney" act alike mascot has to go.  Needs to be a bad ass Kangaroo that scream "Fear the Roo".  The happy go lucky zippy has no place in this new era.

Now this I agree with. 

On 4/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Geez....  I didn't think I could hate sports branding anymore than associating with three letter airport symbols or things like The Land or here in Charlotte, Buzz City. Then there is this garbage. 

Zippy is an amazing mascot-- off the charts, best in class (not just a statement but an actual designation that Zippy won).  It is perhaps the single best known and loved element of UA in the community. 

I think the branding should revolve around "Akron" because that is who we are and no one knows us well- abstracting a little known brand is a terrible idea.  

I also think the nickname "Zip" is terrible and frankly has always been embarrassing.  The only good thing about it was Zippy the mascot.

Putin is going to do all he can to corrupt "Z" and make it a symbol of evil in the world. They are using it throughout Russia to rally them to this horrific cause-- and the Russian people are responding. It would be the height of branding stupidity of the highest order to use "Z" as a symbol right now.  After Russia is crushed, it will just be confusing and weird so to me still reason to not overly focus on it.

Make it AKRON.  And make it known.

• Thumbs down 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, akzipper said:

I mean it HAS to be better than the script Akron, but I'm expecting to be disappointed. 

I’m anticipating being underwhelmed. (At least there’s no way I’ll be as upset as I was when Lee Owens changed our colors from blue & gold to blue & pee.) With so many teams which already use a variation of the letter A as their logo I can’t imagine it’s an easy ask to come up with an original, unique, and inspiring take on the letter. 

58 minutes ago, 3rd&twenty said:

As a designer who is not part of this redesign, I WILL be disappointed!

Same. I feel like I am overly critical and nit-picky when it comes to rebranding. I just hope it isn't something amateurish and actually looks like a top notch D1 school logo. I tend to get an idea of an ideal rebrand in my head and set the bar too high. There's a level of jealously there too. It would be a dream project to rebrand my alma mater or favorite sports team. Which is exactly what happened when the Cleveland Guardians were announced. Luckily their new logos have grown on me and I'm sure eventually a new Akron logo would too. Having said that, I own nothing that has the script Akron on it and never will. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1