Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 5/4/2022 at 9:06 AM, 3rd&twenty said:

Don't hold me to this, but I'm told it's a simple A or UA. I'm imagining taking the new Vanderbilt V logo and turning it upside down.

I laughed when I saw your name. We should put 3rd&twenty on our helmets. More people probably connect that with Akron football than anything else. 

An "A" of some sort is not what I'm looking for. It could mean any number of things. Be clear about who and what you are. No confusion. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

I laughed when I saw your name. We should put 3rd&twenty on our helmets. More people probably connect that with Akron football than anything else. 

An "A" of some sort is not what I'm looking for. It could mean any number of things. Be clear about who and what you are. No confusion. 

There’s nothing clear about what we are. We’re named the Zips and have a kangaroo mascot.

29 minutes ago, LZIp said:

There’s nothing clear about what we are. We’re named the Zips and have a kangaroo mascot.

We're definitely unconventional... quirky, funky, eccentric... when it comes to our name and mascot. But I love it; it's pure, undiluted Akron.

59 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Which are two of the most unique nicknames/mascots in college athletics. Utilize that. 

I agree! I do like the Z logo, but I also like the Roo, especially the newer meaner looking one. I want to be happy about this change, but will not be if it's simply an A. I mean, if they know the fans dont like script Akron, not sure why they would pick just an "A", especially if its script. 

Anyways, anyone know when this will be announced? 

I'd be fine with a nice looking A because, 1: it's going to be our primary logo (we can keep the secondary logos with the Z and with the variations on Zippy, e.g., my avatar), and 2: the new logo has to look nice on the side of a football helmet (PRIORITY NUMBER ONE - which the Z sure does & why I'm perturbed they're relegating it to second-tier status).  It simply must not be too busy (as was the A-Roo-Head logo which just looked like a blob from more than 10 feet away).

Edited by Blue & Gold

Like others I've seen the proposed new logo. I can't say much about it because I gave my word that I would give feedback, but not disclose the design. I'll offer these comments though.

First, the process is professional and in depth. This goes beyond sports and seeks to unify UA's branding across all media sources. We have too many logos and we need to standardize on one. 

Second, a decision will be made soon. We are talking days here, not weeks. 

Third, there are many different constituencies that have been consulted: faculty, alumni, community (fans), businesses, media consultants and board of trustees. All have opinions. None are overwhelmingly in favor of one particular design. In short, expect many people won't be happy. What emerges will be unique and have the potential to become iconic.

Fourth, my favorite, the Z, does not say Akron and that is a concern. There is some history here that I can't go into, but the bottom line is that the word Akron or an A is the focus right now. Script Akron is recognized as needing work, but it is considered valuable and it will be on some uni's as a secondary logo. The same is true of the Z. It will not be primary, but in certain uni schemes it will appear. That being said the new logo will be primary for all uniforms.

Finally, whatever is chosen it seems many on this board will not be happy, based on previous posts. The U can't let that paralyze them and be afraid to make a change. Months of research and consultation has gone into this decision. We need to solidify our branding. You might not get what you want but this too shall pass. If we keep winning and have an identity that means Akron, we will be OK. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs down 1

15 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Like others I've seen the proposed new logo. I can't say much about it because I gave my word that I would give feedback, but not disclose the design. I'll offer these comments though.

First, the process is professional and in depth. This goes beyond sports and seeks to unify UA's branding across all media sources. We have too many logos and we need to standardize on one. 

Third, there are many different constituencies that have been consulted: faculty, alumni, community (fans), businesses, media consultants and board of trustees. All have opinions. None are overwhelmingly in favor of one particular design. In short, expect many people won't be happy. What emerges will be unique and have the potential to become iconic.

Fourth, my favorite, the Z, does not say Akron and that is a concern. There is some history here that I can't go into, but the bottom line is that the word Akron or an A is the focus right now. Script Akron is recognized as needing work, but it is considered valuable and it will be on some uni's as a secondary logo. The same is true of the Z. It will not be primary, but in certain uni schemes it will appear. That being said the new logo will be primary for all uniforms.

Finally, whatever is chosen it seems many on this board will not be happy, based on previous posts. The U can't let that paralyze them and be afraid to make a change. Months of research and consultation has gone into this decision. We need to solidify our branding. You might not get what you want but this too shall pass. If we keep winning and have an identity that means Akron, we will be OK. 

What he said.

18 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Paul Dolan? Is that you?

On 5/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, akzipper said:

I just keep thinking about the last time Guthrie and Miller rebranded a school.

It ended up looking like this...

GB_PRIM_2CLR_LBG.png

I think U and A in this same font using blue and gold would be just peachy.

Recommend we put "jr. high" right below the U and A?

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I just want something is recognizable as Akron and can stand the test of time. There are plenty of letter/monogram logos that are instantly recognized. Auburn's AU, Oklahoma's OU, Alabama's A, Dayton's UD, Michigan's M, etc. The new Cleveland Guardians C is brand new but already pretty recognizable. It's basic, but had subtle touches that give it uniqueness and resemblance to the team's namesake. Our logo doesn't have to literally spell out Akron or Akron Zips. I also don't think a kangaroo or something cheesy like a zipper is needed. I can't tell you how many times people asked me why I had an A/Donkey logo on my hat or vehicle.  

Edited by akzipper

5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Like others I've seen the proposed new logo. 

Thank you for the insight, appreciate it. You, and a couple others on here, mention that you’ve seen the new logo but I’m a little confused how you’ve contradicted yourself by saying “a decision will be made soon”. I assume there is one design that is clearly the leader but they just haven’t confirmed it yet? 

8 minutes ago, ermiller27 said:

The Z logo is perfect imo. I get recognition all over Charlotte and even when i went to Charleston. No other school has it, tons of schools have U and A

I do agree that most people know of the Akron Zips, so the Z works. Unfortunately I don't think the higher ups at UA feel that way. 

• Like 1