Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, MangoZip said:

Thank you for the insight, appreciate it. You, and a couple others on here, mention that you’ve seen the new logo but I’m a little confused how you’ve contradicted yourself by saying “a decision will be made soon”. I assume there is one design that is clearly the leader but they just haven’t confirmed it yet? 

Mango, perhaps I should have said a decision has been made, but the paperwork has to be completed before it is announced. Yes, there is a leading design and you are correct in that they are in the final stage of signing off on it. A lot of parties have to sign off. I love the Z, but understand why they are not enthused about it. That doesn't mean I agree tho'. Thank you for your comment. 

• Like 2

Fortunately I was expecting to be underwhelmed so I don't really care. It's a fine A. But if you showed this to anyone who either didn't watch the video or didn't know anything about Akron, the Z gets completely lost. I like the idea, but a more prominent Z or the Z logo were accustomed to being included in this design would be much better. 

Design was done by Joe Bosack's company, who is the creator of the MAC shield logo and I believe the A-Roo as well. I would have expected better. Oh well.

• Like 1

Thanks Clark for breaking the news to us and posting!

Not going to lie, I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. Yes it is an "A", but at least the font is different from the other schools using it. 

I will say, the university needs to stick with it and stop trying to get different logos going every few years. If you want the brand to be recognized, you have to stick with things for a while for things to catch on and build some type of legacy. Just my opinion.

Do I loved it? No. 

Do I like it though? Yes! 

• Like 5

I was prepared to be literally upset by an overly busy, ugly, silly logo.  It is none of those things, so I am not upset. It's sharp. It's clean. I'm content. 

Nothing compares with the Z, but since I've been told (by those on this board) that we're not completely retiring the Z, I am happy.

Judging by the photoshop of DJ Irons, it looks like we'll be putting it on the side of the helmet.

Question: Are the rest of the letters in the "AKRON" and "ZIPS" shown in the video also a new font?

10 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Thanks Clark for breaking the news to us and posting!

Not going to lie, I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. Yes it is an "A", but at least the font is different from the other schools using it. 

I will say, the university needs to stick with it and stop trying to get different logos going every few years. If you want the brand to be recognized, you have to stick with things for a while for things to catch on and build some type of legacy. Just my opinion.

Do I loved it? No. 

Do I like it though? Yes! 

Do I love it? No.

Do I like it though? No. 

Is it okay? Sure.

Is it better than Script Akron? Absolutely?

Seems to be a lot of disappointed people on social media. A nice secondary Kangaroo or Z logo would have helped bring the whole brand together. "Unifying" a brand doesn't mean you only can have one logo. It just means that you have a main primary logo that is used most often, with others sprinkled in to expand your brand.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

At the end of the day, it is a logo.  If the teams win they could go full generic Penn State logo free for all I care.

Then why should any school or sports team have a logo? Or Companies?

It's your image. It's your brand identifier. It can/should generate revenue. It is important.

I understand your point - If the Guardians win a World Series, no "Indians" fan will stay away from the victory parade. But a lame logo reflects poorly on the University, and a great one is uplifting.

7 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Then why should any school or sports team have a logo? Or Companies?

It's your image. It's your brand identifier. It can/should generate revenue. It is important.

I understand your point - If the Guardians win a World Series, no "Indians" fan will stay away from the victory parade. But a lame logo reflects poorly on the University, and a great one is uplifting.

Good points Captain, my point is that my primary concern is winning rather than the unis, etc.  In hindsight, PSU's "trademark" is its lack of a brand on the football unis.