Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, GoZips86 said:

Thanks Clark for breaking the news to us and posting!

Not going to lie, I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. Yes it is an "A", but at least the font is different from the other schools using it. 

I will say, the university needs to stick with it and stop trying to get different logos going every few years. If you want the brand to be recognized, you have to stick with things for a while for things to catch on and build some type of legacy. Just my opinion.

Do I loved it? No. 

Do I like it though? Yes! 

Right.  It's unique, and will be uniquely ours... I don't see anyone trying to mimic it. Will be good for scorebugs. A for Akron is more meaningful than the Z but I hope we still use the existing Z a lot.

Nothing like another boring, bland and generic A logo to add to the already thousands of boring, generic A logos that will never stand out or stand up to strong A brand logos like Atlanta, Alabama etc…

I just can’t fathom how people sit around a room and say yep - that boring and generic logo that nobody outside of a small city, of which I bet less than 25% would be able to tie that back to the local university. 

However, there is exactly one university in division one sports that has a team name that starts with Z. Truly in a market by itself and they couldn’t find a way to update that?

Clearly - if you aspire to be in business and/or marketing - they’re telling you that you are absolutely picking the wrong school to attend. 

Pretty embarrassing to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RowdyZip said:

One quick note:  the press release should've included some when/where the new gear will be available.  Maybe I missed it somewhere?

On one of the Facebook pages there’s a link to the bookstore that just has a navy blue T shirt or hoodie right now. 

• Like 1

The new logo is having a rough time on social media. Almost unanimously disliked. The only positive comments are from people employed by the university.

Doubt the people in charge care enough to listen though. Their opinion is probably just "People don't like change, they'll get over it." The problem is that most of us have been around UA much longer than them and the school means more to us. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 3

Just now, akzipper said:

The new logo is having a rough time on social media. Almost unanimously disliked on twitter. The only positive comments are from people employed by the university.

Doubt the people in charge care enough to listen though. Their opinion is probably just "People don't like change, they'll get over it." The problem is that most of us have been around UA much longer than them and the school means more to us. 

Well said. It’s been stated that UA alumni and fans were consulted, well it must not have been many, or ones that actually care. Joe Bosack has designed some cool logos, this ones is lazy and boring and most importantly, it doesn’t say AKRON to me at all, in any way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Well said. It’s been stated that UA alumni and fans were consulted, well it must not have been many, or ones that actually care. Joe Bosack has designed some cool logos, this ones is lazy and boring and most importantly, it doesn’t say AKRON to me at all, in any way. 

The best part is that it does say AKRON, right underneath the A. That's how you know a logo is boring and generic. You need to actually spell out the school underneath so people know what it is. 

16 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

When you have lazy, boring people driving the bus, this is what you get. Even from the most talented designers. I speak from experience.

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Announcement video-

I don't know if it's the quality of the video, but I am incredibly surprised by how much I like the logo. 

At first glance I hated it, but after seeing the video highlight the Z built into it, I love it. That is a sharp, modern, timeless design. I don't know if they can do more to highlight in the logo itself that the Z is there, but if they can or word gets out, this gives the University a notable and recognizable A. Arizona, Atlanta, Alabama, and Army have recognizable A's and this is unique from those which is key. 

Again, I think the video is the best marketing tool they have and many won't ever watch it, but that was well done and gave me a new, positive perspective on the logo after first glance. 

6 minutes ago, 3rd&twenty said:

When you have lazy, boring people driving the bus, this is what you get. Even from the most talented designers. I speak from experience.

Yup. The people paying the bills get what they want. They wanted a simple design and that's exactly what happened.

I'd say there's a good chance Joe Bosack did this redesign too, as they were in charge of the GB rebrand

10 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Yup. The people paying the bills get what they want. They wanted a simple design and that's exactly what happened.

I'd say there's a good chance Joe Bosack did this redesign too, as they were in charge of the GB rebrand

He did, and I image he did it with one hand tied behind his back.

It IS better than Western's rebrand, though.

• Like 1

So those of you who were consulted before the logo was chosen - how does this compare to the other options they were considering?

I'll keep wearing my Roo logo items to soccer events here until the update gets more notice in the community.  The new logo feels quite bland, and keeps reminding me of Army Black Knights more than Akron Zips.

19 minutes ago, 3rd&twenty said:

He did, and I image he did it with one hand tied behind his back.

It IS better than Western's rebrand, though.

This is just one of those projects you do just to get it over with, cash the check and never let anyone know you did it. 

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Joe Bosack has designed some cool logos, this ones is lazy and boring....

You can design the coolest logo on planet earth, it does not mean the client will select it. More than likely, they will not. 

• Like 1

I'm not thrilled by the new logo, but at the same time I think it makes a lot of sense.

Why "A" over "Z"?  Because they are trying to strengthen the connection between the university and the city.  Both are Akron.  Only the university is Zips.  I do agree that some subtle shading or outlining to bring out the "Z" would help in a couple of ways.

It is distinctive in that it is not similar to other logos (well, not too much, anyway). Once all the teams are using it and get some exposure, people will recognize it as "Akron".

A logo can be effective without being visually great (see Nebraska's "N").  It is vitally important that the university uses it consistently for a number of years.  That is how effective branding works.

SO GLAD they kept the golden gold!

And don't forget Zippy!

• Like 1