Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Awesome to see someone snap up the new logo as their Avatar! 🦾

image.png

Looking forward to seeing the version with the ️  for our Men's Soccer National Championship. 

• Like 2

...and when the Z came out most hated that too....

People don't like change. I think its a great logo. An Akron A makes sense (love the subtle Z incorporation). 

Look at the Division I logos and they are predominately Letters representing the name of the school OR a picture representing the mascot. None are a letter representing the mascot alone. The stand alone Z did nothing to identify The University of Akron to me.

Go AKRON!!! Go ZIPS!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

“The Athletic” has an awfully similar look

0574D61A-37A5-41E1-9BE5-0888AFC653F0.jpeg

Wow, I guess I was wrong - someone did already try to mimic our new logo. I guess we'd better send them a cease and desist letter right away 😀

Honestly, it's probably good we got ours trademarked before releasing it to make sure we're in the clear..

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKSportsFan said:

...and when the Z came out most hated that too....

People don't like change. I think its a great logo. An Akron A makes sense (love the subtle Z incorporation). 

Look at the Division I logos and they are predominately Letters representing the name of the school OR a picture representing the mascot. None are a letter representing the mascot alone. The stand alone Z did nothing to identify The University of Akron to me.

Go AKRON!!! Go ZIPS!!!

Agree.  The more I look, the more I like it actually.  I liken the situation to a lot of folks (myself included) that were bothered by the rebranding of the Aeros to the RubberDucks a few years back.  And to a greater extent, the Guardians rebrand.  It'll take time, but folks will come around.  Change is hard.

I posted my thoughts on a graphic design board and I think that the logo may be worth saving after seeing different applications.

FSVd5X6UYAABll8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FSU2C81XEAgV27u?format=jpg&name=medium

It's not terrible. The problem is that 99% of the time it seems like the generic "AKRON" font is right beneath it. It's unnecessary and amateurish. When the A is alone, I can definitely see myself buying that hoodie. Maybe after 5 or so years of the new logo, people will know it's Akron and we won't need the label underneath anymore. 

• Like 1

I sat back and just stared at that thing. Did someone have a 1p tee time ... bang it out in the morning and hit the links? I see "I" and "A" before I see "A" and "z." There is NOTHING about that design that makes me want to run out and buy Akron gear ... NOTHING. While trying to kill time on Tuesday nights in November, I can picture national broadcasters telestrating "Now ... if you look very closely, you'll see a lowercase "z" incorporated into Akron's new ugly-Azz logo." Let's Go Parallelograms!

Long live Chief Wahoo!

Edited by GoZips88
  • Like 2

Looks good on the court. I don't hate it, just don't love it. Would have liked to see a secondary logo or two released also. Pitt came out with a new panther when they did theirs and its gone really well, was hoping for a similar thing here with the roo

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, akzipper said:

That helps because It probably would be better if the Z was more apparent. I wonder if something more subtle could achieve the same effect?

1180444204_AkronLogoFix.thumb.png.0a86c02df530834c9b806b605c61c324.png

Like both of these better because of emphasis on Z because it’s unique to our University of Akron Zips & makes sense

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Initially I didn't like it. The more I look at it the more I like it. Not exactly over the moon though. There is some flexibility to do different things with it so that's good.

Same. Initially I didn't even see the Z, now I can't not see it. That's pretty cool imo

Noticed the Z part, but there is also a prominent arrow in the center of the A as well.  I imagine that is tying into the We Rise, Rise Together slogans the University has been using. I felt the balance of the logo was wrong, until I noticed that arrow.

Overall, it's a big ole "meh", but I think it looks better without the border. Except for the treatment Dr. Z gave it with the overlapped Z.

I was a part of this process. The driving factors in the design were as follows.

1. Consolidation of the 8 different logos that are currently in use.

2. Coming up with a clean simple logo that would tie in with the word Akron. 

3. Creating a Font that was unique and could be trademarked. (It has been) Even the font in the word Akron was trademarked.

Expect to continue to see the use of several of the old logos in various situations to add effect. The word Zips with the stylized Z on home uniforms and Akron on away uniforms. But the main emphasis will be the A and the word Akron.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Looks decent on the JAR court and InfoCision Field. I'll give them credit there.

Very slick looking!! I like it!

I agree with the others too who have said it would be nice if they used a different shade, perhaps a slightly darker gold, to show the Z more in the logo. 

But yeah, the court and field design you put together is real nice

1 minute ago, GoZips86 said:

Very slick looking!! I like it!

I agree with the others too who have said it would be nice if they used a different shade, perhaps a slightly darker gold, to show the Z more in the logo. 

But yeah, the court and field design you put together is real nice

Those were actually tweeted out by the basketball and football accounts, along with white and gold football helmets. I'd assume they are probably official. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Those were actually tweeted out by the basketball and football accounts, along with white and gold football helmets. I'd assume they are probably official. 

Oh really?! Nice!!! I know some on here have created examples of how the field/court could look different. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!