Zips Primary Logo

a-zip

Primary Logo Poll  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

I was a part of this process. The driving factors in the design were as follows.

1. Consolidation of the 8 different logos that are currently in use.

2. Coming up with a clean simple logo that would tie in with the word Akron. 

3. Creating a Font that was unique and could be trademarked. (It has been) Even the font in the word Akron was trademarked.

Expect to continue to see the use of several of the old logos in various situations to add effect. The word Zips with the stylized Z on home uniforms and Akron on away uniforms. But the main emphasis will be the A and the word Akron.

I would love to see the rest of the letters in that font.

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

I was a part of this process. The driving factors in the design were as follows.

1. Consolidation of the 8 different logos that are currently in use.

2. Coming up with a clean simple logo that would tie in with the word Akron. 

3. Creating a Font that was unique and could be trademarked. (It has been) Even the font in the word Akron was trademarked.

Expect to continue to see the use of several of the old logos in various situations to add effect. The word Zips with the stylized Z on home uniforms and Akron on away uniforms. But the main emphasis will be the A and the word Akron.

I like it. A lot. Somehow you guys designed an A that is both classic and modern. It’s also got some “Flying A” in its DNA.

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Just purchased a new A hoodie from the Student Union book store.  Polos are still only available online but I’m definitely getting one of those as well.

What all did they have at the bookstore? Did they have the gold hoodie?

5 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

What all did they have at the bookstore? Did they have the gold hoodie?

No. So far they only have the blue hoodie and blue t-shirt.  

In hindsight the weather seems to have broken so I probably should have just gotten the t-shirt 😂

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

No. So far they only have the blue hoodie and blue t-shirt.  

In hindsight the weather seems to have broken so I probably should have just gotten the t-shirt 😂

Haha! Thanks for the info, of course they post all kinds of merch on social media and aren’t selling any of it yet other than the most basic. 

I'm obviously in the minority, but I like it quite a bit.  I hope they don't stray too far from it for many years. My fellow college football fans I grew up with noted long ago that you could always tell the "powers" from the "also rans" by how often the uniforms changed.  The best teams almost never changed them.  Let's allow the excellent assembly of coaching talent we have to enjoy a long run with the "A and hidden Z" or "zipped A" motif.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, johnnyzip84 said:

I'm obviously in the minority, but I like it quite a bit.  I hope they don't stray too far from it for many years. My fellow college football fans I grew up with noted long ago that you could always tell the "powers" from the "also rans" by how often the uniforms changed.  The best teams almost never changed them.  Let's allow the excellent assembly of coaching talent we have to enjoy a long run with the "A and hidden Z" or "zipped A" motif.  

Good point.

I’m digging the new A. I liked it as soon as I saw it & I like it even more now than I did this morning. 💪💪

On 5/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, akzipper said:

I just keep thinking about the last time Guthrie and Miller rebranded a school.

It ended up looking like this...

GB_PRIM_2CLR_LBG.png

On 5/7/2022 at 12:47 PM, Zipmeister said:

I think U and A in this same font using blue and gold would be just peachy.

Recommend we put "jr. high" right below the U and A?

I'm betting that even without the gold that I suggested, Mr Guthrie thinks the new logo is just peachy.

I think that time may tell on the logo.  If in another year or two the common US sports fan looks at it and ponders whether it is Arizona or App State, it may not have been worth the money.  Part of that formula is also going to rely on the success of the teams sporting the logo.

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think that time may tell on the logo.  If in another year or two the common US sports fan looks at it and ponders whether it is Arizona or App State, it may not have been worth the money.  Part of that formula is also going to rely on the success of the teams sporting the logo.

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I like it. A lot. Somehow you guys designed an A that is both classic and modern. It’s also got some “Flying A” in its DNA.

I didn't design anything.  I was just part of the focus groups that gave feedback to the real designers. The same group that gave us the Z and Fear the Roo.

• Like 3

I think I'm past the anger and depression stages, landing on acceptance. It is what it is at this point. Nothing we can do about it and hope the logo sticks around long enough to become recognized as "Akron." Having success on the field or court will go a long way. 

I absolutely hated the Guardians logos, but bought a hat the second they went on sale. The Browns logo is literally a piece of equipment and I own plenty of gear with that dumb helmet on it. The Cavs have had dozens of logos in the past 10 years and none are anything special. Collectively NE Ohio has some of the worst branded sports teams. We had some nice logos, but I can agree with the inconsistencies and "gimmicky" style. The new brand definitely has the feel of something that could have been used by a big time college for decades and should stand the test of time. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

I am underwhelmed.

If I were to walk around where I live (Washington, DC area) with this new A logo, who would I be promoting?

American University, Appalachian St, Adelphi, Acadia University, Agnes Scott College, Aichi Bunkyo University,  

Albion College, Alfred State College, Augustana College?

When I walk around D.C. with my Z hat, it never fails....people love to say "Go Zips"!  There is no confusion what the Z stands for!

Fukit ...let's win some games........I'll keep my "Z" stuff, it's unique.

• Like 1

I am also in the minority but I like this logo.  However, I have liked the logos since the 80's with the exception of any logo with the Roo.  My 82 baseball hat has an A on it that I cherish.  I have dozens of different types of Akron gear with the A, Z, Script Akron, Script Zips, and I like them all.  I like the Z imbedded on the A, but I did not notice it on first look until I watched the video that was shown in this post.   My only suggestion would have been to have the Z a different color so it was very obvious of the A and Z.  This would make the logo stand out and it would not be confused with the A logo of any other team.

Go Zips!!!

6 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Reminds me a lot of this only not as obvious. Work on differentiating the A from the Z.

image.png.89e55719d61fb458c850e9b842e021fd.png

So a logo that is close to zero on the imaginative scale reminds you of one of the most imaginative logos ever created.

I can dig that.

Day-old toast reminds me a lot of a prime rib sandwich.

It took me almost 24 hours but I finally figured out what the new A reminded me of - the old A from the AFL football league. Very similar if you take of the top right “wing” and take a notch out of the right side of the cross on the A. Has a very similar feel to it. Having said that, I don’t hate it, don’t love it either. One thing that really helps it is the color combo, that navy and gold is so nice. As others have said, it’s just not identifiable enough yet. I wish the Roo could have been tied in somehow but overall I’ll give it a solid B. 

9E60021D-5136-423B-BE52-84216E8A943B.gif