Zips add Minnesota to 2026 Schedule

K-Roo

$1.2M. 

This would be the final year of Moorhead's 5 year contract, should he still be around. Looking at future schedules...

2022 is Road Trip year, with Michigan State, Tennessee, and Liberty all being desirable road trips for Akron fans. Who knows how competitive Akron will be in Moorhead's first year.

2023 could be an undefeated year. I'm only somewhat kidding, but the OOC has 4 winnable games. 

2024 needs a game, still, but I like UK, South Carolina, and SJSU. 

2025 is winnable so far.

2026 is winnable. 

Point being: under Moorhead, these schedules are aligning nicely to equal both big pay days and upset victories. 

image.png.22fd90e8d14cf9b4805181ed600e6288.png

I have watched enough crummy teams at the Info. Now that Moorhead is here, I'm happy Kentucky is coming. Something for Zip fans to get excited about for once. Kentucky will bring a good amount of fans to the game. Back in 2010 when we went to the Kentucky game, we had a blast with their fans! Tailgating for Kentucky will be a good atmosphere. Tailgating for some FCS BS team is a borefest. Been there, done that. I remember Lot 9 for Indiana, awesome, I would expect the same for Kentucky. But that's all I care to remember about that day. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't hate next year's schedule if it wasn't in a coaching transition year.  It would take some real magic from this staff to pull off wins on any of the 3 roadies.  I think Liberty could still be a winnable game in year one (35% chance), Tennessee too (5%), with a minor miracle.   I just really, really....REALLY hope we're not going into the MAC season at 1-3, because that will certainly tamp down some of the local enthusiasm.

29 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Been there, done that. I remember Lot 9 for Indiana, awesome, I would expect the same for Kentucky. But that's all I care to remember about that day. 

It doesn't have to be an FCS team.

Herein lies the problem. The excitement of tailgating, the idea of the greatness of a large crowd supplied by the opponent and the hopes of a longshot win get dashed by another crushing defeat. People remember the defeat more than the tailgating. Those who don't tailgate only remember the defeat. Leaving The Big Dialer after a defeat is the majority of memories attendees have after going to a Zips game in Akron. Winning needs to be the priority.  Winning needs to be the memory.

If we are going to be taken seriously by the locals then we need credible teams coming to Info. We need teams like Indiana to come here that have a name but are in reach of us competitively. Having an SEC school come to Akron will generate a lot buzz, especially if we take care of business and are 2-0 going into it. You also don't know what Kentucky team we are getting. A 2 win team or a 9 win team. 

• Like 1

Regarding next year: if Moorehead is able to grab enough talent from the portal to start to flip thi gs, Liberty is winnable. Bowden beat Liberty this year and their QB will go to the draft.

Regarding bringing in P5 schools: the Pitt tailgating experience was great. Having ignornat Pitt fans sit among us, as we got soundly beat in one of the wettest, if not the wettest game I have ever sat through, not so great. 

I will say, though, it does make us feel like a legit D1 program when we bring in these schools. Indiana is a great example.

I also really liked the Sunbelt math ups we had against Troy, App State, and ULL. The Zips can be competitive and playing quality G5 teams gives us a measuring stick. I think right now the SBC is playing better football, overall, than the MAC, so if we can run with those dogs, it would be progress.

3 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

If we are going to be taken seriously by the locals then we need credible teams coming to Info. We need teams like Indiana to come here that have a name but are in reach of us competitively. Having an SEC school come to Akron will generate a lot buzz, especially if we take care of business and are 2-0 going into it. You also don't know what Kentucky team we are getting. A 2 win team or a 9 win team. 

Pitt and Iowa State are the only two P5 schools we've had come to Akron correct? That's the perfect level of competition, but also need to know that crowds will show up. 

SEC would be tough unless Moorhead can talk MSU or maybe someone like Mizzou/Vandy.

BigTen has nice options with Indiana, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers and Illinois.

I think Big12/ACC would be our best bet. After expansion you'll have Cincy, Houston and UCF. Plus schools like Syracuse, WF, Duke, GT, Pitt, BC, UNC, Kansas, WVU.

With the SEC talking about going to 9 conference games once Oklahoma/Texas join and the B1G/PAC-12 talking about scheduling 12 games annually against one another as early as 2023, that might lead to some shake up in the future schedules. The SEC/PAC-12/B1G will need to cancel (buy out) games to open up their schedule availability. 

4 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Did Kentucky come before?

Last time we played Kentucky, it was at Kentucky in 2010. One of my favorite away trips.  

First time I read this!...."Kentucky star Randall Cobb caught five passes for 43 yards and a touchdown but spent the second half on the sidelines with heartburn symptoms." He was at the shrimp boil tailgate party we attended after the game!?!? I swear he was eating. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Pitt and Iowa State are the only two P5 schools we've had come to Akron correct?

And I think the Iowa State game in Akron was set up long before Matt Campbell was hired.  That was a fun trip for us.  Very special group of Iowa State fans came for that one.  And our band director, Michael Golemo, also a neighbor of mine, brought the entire band, largely because he came to Iowa State from Akron.  He sent a big group over to play at our tailgate.  

• Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

$1.2M. 

This would be the final year of Moorhead's 5 year contract, should he still be around. Looking at future schedules...

2022 is Road Trip year, with Michigan State, Tennessee, and Liberty all being desirable road trips for Akron fans. Who knows how competitive Akron will be in Moorhead's first year.

2023 could be an undefeated year. I'm only somewhat kidding, but the OOC has 4 winnable games. 

2024 needs a game, still, but I like UK, South Carolina, and SJSU. 

2025 is winnable so far.

2026 is winnable. 

Point being: under Moorhead, these schedules are aligning nicely to equal both big pay days and upset victories. 

image.png.22fd90e8d14cf9b4805181ed600e6288.png

The only things I really don’t lIke are no home FBS non-conference opponent in 2022 and it appears we are in a 2-for-1 with Kentucky would rather have had a simple home and home with a power 5 conference school